Feature Request: Add the ability to choose the default action when double-clicking on attachments

Options
andrewstrauss
andrewstrauss
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I double click on an attachment, it asks me to save it (export). I would rather it open the attachment. I can open attachments by right clicking, and then left clicking on open. I would prefer this to be the default double click action. How can I change the default to do this? I am using the latest version of 1P on windows (4.6.0.592).

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 64bit
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @andrewstrauss,

At the moment, you cannot change the default action for the double-click method because this won't work on certain Windows versions we support. When you open an attachment, we ask Windows to create an encrypted folder to store the file in and then delete it after you terminate 1Password. The problem is that Windows doesn't support this feature on all Windows versions that 1Password can run on.

In the future, it is likely we'll add more logic to make this smarter to detect if Windows can do this and if yes, add an option to let users choose a default method for this.

You can find out more here https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/working-with-attachments

Thanks for letting us know this would be useful for you.

• I agree. We want to make 1Password smarter by doing more with less. If we can do this on the fly without adding an option, that's the method we want to do.

• SHINSF1PASS
    SHINSF1PASS
    Community Member
    Options

I came here to make the same suggestion. I think the ability to change the default action on double clicking an attachment would be very useful.

• Thanks for letting us know, @SHINSF1PASS.

As Mike said, we're looking to improve this so it's going to be smart about it and only bother the user if necessary.

Cheers!

• Hi @andrewstrauss,

Thanks for writing in again about this.

I'm sorry to say that we have not implemented this in the app, yet, because the same limitations are still in place.
    Presently we're updating 1Password 4 to fix bugs but most of the development efforts are concentrated on 1Password 6, our new version. It will have better handling of documents because we're basing it on the lastest technologies Microsoft has to offer.

Cheers,

Alex

• @andrewstrauss

I sincerely hope that this is not the impression you have of us. We would never try to milk customers or force them into a different payment model.

It is true that we would be happy if many of our customers were to switch to 1Password accounts but that is simply because of the benefits we can offer our customers on a fully integrated platform.

With that out of the way let me also say very clearly that the new 1Password 6 does support local vaults but only in read mode at the moment. We plan on releasing a new version of 1Password for Windows in the fall or late 2016 that has read and write support for local vaults with the license model as well as 1Password accounts.

I hope this clears things up. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• No one in the company will ever try to force you into the 1Password subscription model. We respect our customers too much to ever attempt that. It's simply not how we operate.

The new version already supports Dropbox sync, it even does so natively, without the need for Dropbox to be installed on a user's machine (more like the iOS version of 1Password).

Whether it will get WLAN sync at a later point, I can't say, yet.

• It is very much a priority for us, @andrewstrauss, I'm sorry if I or anyone else gave you the impression that it isn't.

WLAN sync is a much beloved feature and we understand that perfectly. All I wanted to say is that I can't tell you for sure if the upcoming version will have it or one we publish at a later point.

• dteare
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi Andrew,

I just replied to you on the blog but I thought it would be good to crosspost my reply here as well.

Please forgive the direct copy-and-paste but I am fighting through some rough RSI in my wrists at the moment so I simply wasn't able to retype everything into a perfectly tailored reply here.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting back to me. Open two-way honest communication is always important, from everything from marriage to apps. In fact, I'd argue that it's most important with password managers

I read the thread from Alex that you mentioned and I can see where you're coming from. If I was in your shoes I would be nervous as well and I would assume the worse when reading anything. When I read Alex's reply in that light, I could easily assume the same thing you did. Let me try to unpack it a little bit here to clear things up.

First and foremost, Alex and I are saying the same thing: we are rolling out the new version of 1Password in phases. The first phase is focused on our new hosted service for all the reasons I summarized earlier. The second phase will be to add more support for the standalone license holders.

That's the general plan but you'll see that I was purposely vague and said "more support" instead of enumerating the exact features. This is because even after the first phase is done (and believe me, there is a monumental amount of effort required for phase 1), there is still a ton of work remaining to add the remaining features from the standalone version. This is expected as it took almost half a decade to write them all in the first place so it's going to require a lot of effort to migrate them all over. Once phase 1 is done we'll sit down and decide exactly what should be in phase 2 and what should be in phase 3. I have a general idea in my head what will be where, but things change with time and we'll see where we end up.

Now the reason Alex was more optimistic about Dropbox syncing than he was with WLAN Sync is simply because the native Dropbox client handles a lot of the work for us automatically. There's still a lot to be done like writing the files in the right format and dealing with conflicts, but the networking layer is handled for us and that makes both Alex and I more optimistic. Therefore it is most likely that Dropbox syncing will be in phase 2. WLAN Sync, on the other hand, needs us to handle the entire process so it's going to be further to the finish line. This is why Alex instinctively thought of this as being in phase 3 but it's too early to tell. My strong personal preference is to roll them out together and that's what I'll be pushing for, but things may change once the rubber hits the road.

I'm trying my best to share with you as much as I can to make it clear that we care about our licensed Windows users while at the same time keeping in mind that things change fast in the software industry so I can't make specific promises. It's bitten my many times in the past, especially when giving out dates, so I'm being relatively tight lipped as a result. I remember one time I promised we'd add WebDAV syncing with MobileMe, and soon thereafter Steve Jobs was standing on stage saying that MobileMe was completely dead. Needless to say that changed things

Anyway, all that is to say that I'm not going to share specific details with anyone (and indeed I've asked Alex to stop sharing internal release dates as well) but the general plan is a phased roll out into the new technology and licensed users are a part of that plan.

I hope that helps clear things up. And thank you very much for your passion and thinking of us. I know you're only upset because you care deeply about 1Password and don't want us to take it away from you. We won't abandon you.

All the best,

–Dave Teare
    AgileBits Founder

• Hey @andrewstrauss,

I hope that Dave's post cleared up my awkward communication regarding our plans in this thread.

Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Cheers and have a great weekend,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.