1password 6 windows pc, ipad, iphone

Options
lwmcmahon
lwmcmahon
Community Member

Hi,

I just added a subscription account and exported/imported my vault.

1. When I try to use v6 to login, it opens Chrome, but does not fill in the account or password. Then I need to use the v4 chrome extension to complete the login. I don't see how this is supposed to work.

2. How do I sync my v6 vault with 1pw for my ipad? i see the account listed on my ipad. But I see no way to tell my pc 1pw to snyc thw new vault

Larry

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm having trouble being sure I am using my new subscription account on my ipad and iphone, how can I tell for certain?
    For example, today it did not prompt me for the account master password for v6. I entered the code for my v4, but the individual logins reference my 09/01 import date.

On my win 10 pc, the new app seems to be useless for logins. It does not fill in the login account and password in Chrome, so I need to use the v4 extension to get the info. Am I doing something wrong?

I got an email suggesting I consider a subscription rather than my existing licensed 1pw.
    A. Why did this get sent to me if there was no working pc application? I can't use it.
    B. What makes it more secure? I liked the idea of storing my info in a location seperated from the 1pw sw company.
    C. my.1password.com seems pretty easy to find for purposes of hacking. Is there a way to make this unique access subdomain.domain unique to just me?

Regards,
    Larry

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

BTW,
    My iPad and iPhone setting ie to "Always open to" Personal vault.
    There is no sync option other than for Dropbox.

Yet I am not prompted for my subscription master password. Am I really using my personal vault on my iDevices?
    I think I can use the subscription on all but my win10 pc!

Larry

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @lwmcmahon, sorry to hear you've been having trouble with 1Password. I'm going to try and address each one of your concerns and do my best to get you back on your feet :).

When I try to use v6 to login, it opens Chrome, but does not fill in the account or password. Then I need to use the v4 chrome extension to complete the login. I don't see how this is supposed to work.

The extension trouble you are having is likely due to using 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 simultaneously. In order to use 1P6's extension rather thant 1P4's, you must ensure that all of 1P4's processes are completely terminated. To do this you must launch "Task Manager" and ensure that these two processes have been closed:
    1. 1Password (32 bit)
    2. 1pAgent
    After terminating these two processes, launch 1P6 and attempt to use the browser extension to fill your logins and passwords.

How do I sync my v6 vault with 1pw for my ipad? i see the account listed on my ipad. But I see no way to tell my pc 1pw to snyc thw new vault

If you're using a 1Password account (subscription) all you need to do is sign into that same account on any of your other devices, and you should be in sync.

today it did not prompt me for the account master password for v6. I entered the code for my v4, but the individual logins reference my 09/01 import date.

It's using your old 1P4 account Master Password because 1P6 is configured to use the Master Password of the first vault you add to the app. You can change your Master Password by going to "Settings > "Options > Security" and selecting "Change Master Paswword".

I got an email suggesting I consider a subscription rather than my existing licensed 1pw.
    A. Why did this get sent to me if there was no working pc application? I can't use it.

1Password 6 is working well for 1Password accounts and has many of the features present on Mac. Some things we are missing is auto-save and password generator for the extension, and we currently don't have editing ability for legacy vaults.

B. What makes it more secure? I liked the idea of storing my info in a location seperated from the 1pw sw company.

One of the major security advantages you get with 1Password accounts is the Account Key. Your Account Key is combined with your Master Password to harden the encryption of your data and making it more difficult for unauthorized people to access your account. If you want to learn more about the security measures for 1Password accounts, please read here

C. my.1password.com seems pretty easy to find for purposes of hacking. Is there a way to make this unique access subdomain.domain unique to just me?

Being able to find your domain doesn't make you any more vulnerable. As long as you keep your Master Password & account key safe, you should be okay :)

My iPad and iPhone setting ie to "Always open to" Personal vault.
    There is no sync option other than for Dropbox.
    Yet I am not prompted for my subscription master password. Am I really using my personal vault on my iDevices?
    I think I can use the subscription on all but my win10 pc!

I don't think I understand exactly what you're having trouble with here. If you're having trouble adding your 1Password account to your iOS device, please ensure that you've updated to the latest version and follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings, then tap 1Password Accounts.
    3. Tap your account, then tap Reveal Account Key or View QR Code.

Please let me know if I missed anything, or if there's something I can explain further.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

This is getting a bit complicated. I ended 1password(32 bit), but that also starts up with v6, so that was probably not an issue, but I will end these tasks after I use v4 b4 trying out v6 in the future.

A. From the 1pw6 qpplication nothing changed. I tried a login and it did not fill in the account info.
    Then in Chrome, I can ask 1pw to fill in the login info after tellimg it to use my personal vault, but it does not automatically start the login without me pressing login. But I can login, so it works, but is cumbersome.

B. I then tried to initiate a login from Chrome. Oddly, it lists out email accounts for login, but a search did not find the login I was using in A above. If I navigate to the login url, then 1pw6 shows my account and I can login. In v4 I could see categories and select a login while in Chrome, but not in v6. Seems I need to use the 1pw app to navigate to the login url, then the chrome extension to fill in the info. Awkward.

C. Restarted Chrome to find it no longer listed the email accounts for login. I could not search for any logins. I tried using the 1pw app to login and it worked like in A above. I never saw the list of email logins again with the Chrome extension.

E. Sync. Still not sure If I need to login to my personal account manually on my pc to initiate a sync to my devices. I don't see a way to readily login to my account on my iPad. It is set to always open my personal vault, but no wat to ask it to sync.

Larry

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @lwmcmahon

From the 1pw6 qpplication nothing changed. I tried a login and it did not fill in the account info.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Are you certain that you've exited "1pAgent" process in your task manager? If so, do you have any AntiVirus software on your machine?

I can ask 1pw to fill in the login info after tellimg it to use my personal vault, but it does not automatically start the login without me pressing login. But I can login, so it works, but is cumbersome.

This is a known issue and auto-submit after filling a login is something we want to add in the future.

I then tried to initiate a login from Chrome. Oddly, it lists out email accounts for login, but a search did not find the login I was using in A above. If I navigate to the login url, then 1pw6 shows my account and I can login. In v4 I could see categories and select a login while in Chrome, but not in v6. Seems I need to use the 1pw app to navigate to the login url, then the chrome extension to fill in the info. Awkward.

1Password mini only shows logins for the currently active url rather than showing the contents of your entire vault. For the time being, you can search for your accounts through the main app and click the "Browse" button in the top-right of the window. This will take you to your login url and automatically fill your data for you.

Sync. Still not sure If I need to login to my personal account manually on my pc to initiate a sync to my devices. I don't see a way to readily login to my account on my iPad. It is set to always open my personal vault, but no wat to ask it to sync.

The data on your PC is automatically synced each time you login to 1Password. As for your iPad and iPhone, if you go to settings, do you see the option "1Password Accounts"?

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes, I ended the 1pAgent. Yes, I use Avira Pro anti-virus and malwarebytes. 1password (32 bit) task does get initiated at some point. So I restarted my pc to find the 1password (32bit) task starts up automatically. The Agle1pAgent is scheduled to start up After Boot. In time I will need to remove this Startup.

It matters not that I click on the 1pw app browse buttton or click on the link to the url in the login entry, the account info is not filled in under chrome until I click on the extention to fill in the blank fields.

In my book, auto-submit is a lost feature under 1pw6 and a step backwards.
    The login process is also is a backwards step in functionality: I must use the 1pw app to navigate to the login URL, fill in the login info using the mini extension and press submit.

Yes, I see "1passwords Accounts".

I dId not know b4 hand that a subscription meant the use of 1pw mini beta and so much loss of functionality under win 10. Wish I had done more research to understand that I was signing up for beta sw testing, but it is usable, if a bit cumbersome.

Is there a target date for a fully functional Win Chrome extension? Not sure I want to give up my license if this functionality is not in the pipeline.

Larry

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @lwmcmahon,

Yes, I use Avira Pro anti-virus and malwarebytes.

This is the most likely the culprit; you need to whitelist 1Password 6 in your Avira Pro. Because of the way 1Password 6 communicates with the browser extension, anti virus software will sometimes block that line of communication. But, once you add 1Password 6 to the white list you should be able to fill your logins.

In my book, auto-submit is a lost feature under 1pw6 and a step backwards.

We haven't dropped this feature and we recognize how important it is for 1Password. It's at the very top of our list for next major feature and we will have it in a future build.

The login process is also is a backwards step in functionality: I must use the 1pw app to navigate to the login URL, fill in the login info using the mini extension and press submit.

This isn't the preferred method of filling, just something I suggested to help with the particular issues you were facing. Once you whitelist 1Password 6, you should be able to fill your data through the browser.

Is there a target date for a fully functional Win Chrome extension? Not sure I want to give up my license if this functionality is not in the pipeline.

While we don't give specific dates for when features will be available, I can tell you that this is at the very top of our priority list now and we'll have improved functionality for the extension soon.

Please let me know if you still have trouble filling or if you have any other questions, Larry :).

Cheers,
    Mohamed

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I don't think it is the anti-virus. I did perform the update to 1pw.

If I open chrome and then use the 1pw app browse button it works. If Chrome is not open beforehand the info is not filled in.

Larry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't think it is the anti-virus.

@lwmcmahon: Fortunately it's a theory that can be tested! Please try disabling it temporarily (along with your other extensions, since it sounds like it may be limited to Chrome) and let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

You already did hear back from me above.

1pw6 logins works as long as Chrome is started up prior to the use of your app to login. It even does an auto login.
    However, I used to be able to just click on the link in a 1pw entry in which I sometimes have two URLs. Not big issues.

Now I'm trying to stop the 1pw4 task from starting up.

Larry

• MikeT
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @lwmcmahon,

Go and Fill is not yet fully optimized, we are making changes that will support this properly but there are some issues where if the browser isn't opened first, the 1Password extension didn't start fast enough to get the call from the main 1Password app. For now, you are correct that you have to open the browser first prior to opening the site to do any filling on the first tab it opens up.

Now I'm trying to stop the 1pw4 task from starting up.

Right-click on your taskbar to select Task Manager and go to the Startup tab. Right-click on the 1Password entry and select Disable.

That will stop 1Password 4's Helper from auto-starting everytime you restart the PC. If you need to use it, open 1Password 4, go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, it is not listed there. It is in some kinda post boot list of startups.

BTW, clicking on the URL does work on my iPad.
    Larry

• Hi @lwmcmahon,

That's the only place it would be, our code only adds it there. Do you recall adding 1Password 4 to your startup folder manually in the past? Do you have a separate program that manages which app starts on your PC?

BTW, clicking on the URL does work on my iPad.

That's understandable, 1Password 6 Beta is a brand new program, it is going to take some time to reach the same level of maturity on all platforms and the older 1Password 4 for Windows.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

One thing is certain, it is not listed in the task manager start list.

I don't recall adding it manually. I never looked for that task until you mentioned it.

It is also clear that it does not start up until well after the pc has booted and b4 I have used 1pw or chrome. I watched in task manager to see when it started. I think WIN 10 has a post boot startup list, but since I can't find such a list I could be wrong. I noticed some other old tasks for the citrix receiver also start up, but in this case I was comfortable uninstalling. I'm hoping to figure out how to control theses startups, but so far no progress.

I suppose uninstalling 1pw4 would stop it, but I'm not ready to do that until 1pw6 goes from beta to prod.

Maybe Avira has such a startup tool? Not sure.

Larry

• Hi @lwmcmahon,

Try this:

1. Right-click on the Start button to select Run
    2. Enter shell:startup in the Run dialog like so:
    3. Windows Explorer will open the folder to Startup, this is the folder that where it may run programs that's not in your Task Manager

Uninstalling 1Password 4 does not remove your data, your data remains on your drive as it is stored separately from the program files, and you can reinstall 1Password 4 to view the same data. In addition, 1Password 6 Beta does not modify your local vault folders, it's read-only, so there's no risk to them.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I changed that task to not startup automatically.

I'm not so thrilled with the latest beta update.
    1. Starting the app brings it up hidden. Not nice. I need to go find it to get it openned. Then I can't reduce the panel, I'm stuck with it on my screen or it must be closed out.
    2. I want to use the App since it has the categories and favorites, but this startup makes it less friendly to navigate/use.
    3. chrome does not display the favorites or categories.
    4. Why not make it work like v4 first and then tweak it?

Larry

• Hi @lwmcmahon,

Starting the app brings it up hidden. Not nice. I need to go find it to get it openned. Then I can't reduce the panel, I'm stuck with it on my screen or it must be closed out.

Where are you opening the program? I checked the shortcut on desktop, start menu and taskbar, it opens up 1Password the way it should be, not hidden. I also checked with Minimize to notification area turned off and on, it is working as expected.

I want to use the App since it has the categories and favorites, but this startup makes it less friendly to navigate/use.

Can you explain what's less friendly? It has categories and favorites on the left sidebar like 1Password 4. Is there something specific that's missing?

chrome does not display the favorites or categories.

1Password mini is not yet fully finished. A future update is coming to show you the list of categories, password generator, favorites, tags and more.

Why not make it work like v4 first and then tweak it?

We tried and it wasn't feasible, a lot of changes were required to work with 1Password.com and it would ended up into 1Password 6 but less stable because it would mean overhauling old code instead of building from a newer modern codebase instead.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I seem to have the 1pw icon everywhere. When I open from the desktop icon the app opened and the x put it in the notification area. There is no minimize on the panel. The task bar used the same shortcut and does have the same behavior. When I presses x i expected it to exit. I clicked on the desktop and taskbar icon and nothing happened, I thought it had been re-openned into the notification area. Minimize to the notification area option selected or not does not change this for me. It is always minimizing to the notification area.

I'm thinking I should start up 1pw at boot and just work out of the notification area. I think theabve statement explains whyI foun it unfriendly. One i. The notification area the desktop and taskbar icons where just ignored and initially I had no idea it was minimizing to the notification area until I expanded tht area to see it.

Trying to login from the notification area does not fill anything in unless Chrome is opened, in which case I might just as well work in chrome and not off the notificaion area. The only reason to use the notification area is if I want to open the app as the desktop and taskbar icons are of no use. Oops, that causes the desktop app to stop working and I need the desktop or taskbar icon to restart.

Hope this feedback helps,
    Larry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I seem to have the 1pw icon everywhere.

@lwmcmahon: Can you tell me what you mean? You should have a 1Password icon in the notification area when the app is running, and then also in the task bar if the main app window is open.

When I open from the desktop icon the app opened and the x put it in the notification area. There is no minimize on the panel. The task bar used the same shortcut and does have the same behavior. When I presses x i expected it to exit. I clicked on the desktop and taskbar icon and nothing happened, I thought it had been re-openned into the notification area. Minimize to the notification area option selected or not does not change this for me. It is always minimizing to the notification area.

Sorry for the confusion! 1Password has an icon in the notification area regardless.

The "Minimize to notification area" option means just what it says: if this option is enabled, clicking the [ - ] minimize button will minimize the app to the notification icon instead the task bar. So in that case, if you do not have 1Password pinned to the task bar, the 1Password icon will disappear from the task bar when you minimize the app; it will only be shown in the notification area.

On the other hand, if the "Minimize to notification area" option is not enabled, clicking the minimize button will minimize the app to the task bar.

In either case, if you have 1Password pinned to the task bar, its icon will remain there, whether 1Password is running in the background minimized, open in the middle of the screen, or closed. And if 1Password is running at all, its icon will be shown in the notification area.

I'm thinking I should start up 1pw at boot and just work out of the notification area. I think theabve statement explains whyI foun it unfriendly. One i. The notification area the desktop and taskbar icons where just ignored and initially I had no idea it was minimizing to the notification area until I expanded tht area to see it.

That's a great option! Honestly I just leave it open most of the time, so it's really just a matter of preference.

Trying to login from the notification area does not fill anything in unless Chrome is opened, in which case I might just as well work in chrome and not off the notificaion area. The only reason to use the notification area is if I want to open the app as the desktop and taskbar icons are of no use. Oops, that causes the desktop app to stop working and I need the desktop or taskbar icon to restart.

Can you tell me a bit more about the issue(s) you're having here? It sounds like there are two:

1. Selecting a login in 1Password mini (from the notification icon) without Chrome open does not fill the login
    2. Desktop app stops working when..?

Regarding #1: If Chrome is set as the default browser in Windows Settings, selecting the login in 1Password should open the website in Chrome and attempt to fill the login. If that isn't happening, can you give the the exact sequence of events so we can try to figure out the problem?

Regarding #2: Please let me know the exact steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening here. Thanks in advance!

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have the 1pw icon on my desktop, taskbar, notification area and chrome.

First, there is no "-" minimize in e app panel. The "minimize to notification area" option is not working. There is no minimize. I can make the app panel full screen or smaller or x it to the notification area.

1. The login info only gets filled in when I Chrome (default) browser is already openned. Doing a login from the notification area is pointless since I need to open Chrome, I am better off login in from within the browser. The sequence? I just ask it to login to amazon any the cursor is located so I can type in the login info. I can oped the app from the notification area, but logins do not auto-fill.

2. I did have it send you info about the crashes, but I can't repeat them to provide you with anything useful.

3. I still use the app to get my favorites and do category searches, I have some 300, so the search in bChome w/o them is awk.

BTW, Ariva does optimize my boot startups. Took a bit of time to learn to view the current list and change them. A small price to pay to keep this old Dell Precision booting quickly.

Larry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lwmcmahon: Thanks for getting back to me! Could you please clarify what "app panel" you're referring to? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

I could be forgetting, but I don't recall us releasing a version of 1Password without a minimize button, so I'm trying to wrap my head around what your describing. Thanks in advance!

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

1pw app is the full function application panel as opposed to the mini that come up in chrome or the notificaion panel.
    I can select it to be ooenned via the notificaition pannel.

In the upper right hand corner of the app panel there are only two options, x and maximize. I think the idea is to exit to the notification area, but that requires entey of the pw to reopen, where minimize would put an icon on the task bar.

If I have time i will get you a picture later today.

Larry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lwmcmahon: Interesting. If you click to the left of "X" and "maximize", are you able to minimize it? I wonder if it's simply a display issue on your system. Otherwise, maybe you're using another app entirely. This is the current 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta:

But it sounds like you're seeing something different. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, sorry for the delay.

What is happening is that the minimize button is being overlayed with some buttons.

I fixed this in Chrome:
    There is a workaround: right-click the Google Chrome icon you use to
    launch the program and select Properties > Compatibility tab.
    Tick “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings” and click OK.

However this does not work for 1PW6.

Not sure how to attach images to this post. :)

Larry

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe this will work. One shows the fix applied to Chrome. The others show the fix dies not work for 1 pw6.
    Frankly, i don't even know what these buttons are good for :)
    Larry

• Hi @lwmcmahon,

That's unusual.

Not sure how to attach images to this post. :)

Above your reply box, click on the file icon, and then drag the image onto the drop area. Here's a screenshot:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@lwmcmahon: Holy cow! Thanks for the screenshots. I don't even know what that is! I've never seen it before. It certainly isn't part of 1Password (or Windows, as far as I know), and I think the fact that these mystery buttons are showing up in Chrome as well bears that out. It kind of reminds me of when I used to use 3rd party apps to modify the appearance of the OS, or odd Office or accessibility menus.

It appears that the "minimize" button is being replaced/covered/overridden(?) by these mystery buttons. I'd say a good place to start would be your display settings. Try a different theme and see if that helps. Next, Add/Remove Programs, to see if something odd shows up there. Hopefully it's just something obnoxious, but the other, less-sunny possibility is that it's some sort of PUP/malware. Sadly in either case there isn't really anything we can do if something malicious or merely strange is modifying standard Windows widgets. So it's definitely best to get that sorted out first. Please let me know how it turns out!

• Hi @lwmcmahon,

That's definitely a third party tool injecting itself into the system's windowing system and in this case, we cannot do anything to prevent or work around this.

I would recommend finding out which tool that is, the first icon looks like some kind of a recording icon there, so maybe a screenshot or video recording utility. Once you find out what it is, you can either uninstall it or add 1Password to its exclusion list, so that it doesn't inject itself into 1Password.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, seems I can manually move it off the minimize button.
    It seems to be from nvidia the video card driver.

Larry

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

It is called nView by nVidia. I have disabled it.

Is there some option that can reduce my need to repeatedly login into 1pw6?
    I should not need to do so this often. Maybe once after I boot?

Larry

This discussion has been closed.