Do I have to type in the account key each time I log into a new computer?

Options
nnnoremac
nnnoremac
Community Member

I use my university's public computer sometimes when I'm on campus. My question is if I want to sign into 1password accounts for individuals on the public university computer, would I have to type in the long account key each time? This is because the public computers delete everything after log off. If this is the case then that can get very annoying since the account keys are so long and I would have to type them out each time... I understand security is important but I also think we should have options and making the account key optional should be an option. I have another question/regard. If I move all my "Primary" vault information which is over 240 items over to the "Personal" vault that comes with a 1password account for individual, would my "Personal" vault be deleted after I decide not to pay the individual account after my free 6 months? I really think the 1password account for individuals is very, very messy as of today.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:public

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @nnnoremac

Thanks for taking the time to write in. The Account Key would need to be entered each time in the situation you've described. Because your data is actually encrypted using the Account Key it would be impossible to decrypt your data without it. It isn't like two-factor authentication solutions where the data is technically available even without the second factor; it can simply be turned off. As such unfortunately we wouldn't be able to follow through on your request of making it optional.

Your vaults are not deleted when you stop paying (or, never start). They are kept and are available to you in a read-only state. You cannot add or edit items, but you can view your existing ones.

I hope that helps!

Ben

P.S. For what it is worth, we don't recommend logging in to any of your sensitive accounts (especially 1Password) on computers you cannot trust, especially public computers. You never know what malware or hardware key loggers etc might be lurking.

• I forgot to mention... a couple possible solutions that may help make entering the Account Key easier... You could carry it with you in a text file on a USB flash drive. You could also possibly use a UbiKey's "static password" mode to enter it automatically:

https://www.yubico.com/products/services-software/personalization-tools/static-password/

:)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.