1Password6 beta, Windows 7, Chrome not a good combination

Options

I started the move to a 1Password account today and after successfully migrating my macbook and iPhone, which I have to say went very smoothly, I tried to move my windows 7 laptop over with much less success. After removing 1Password4 and installing 1Password6 the browser plugin kept coming up with a message saying that the 1Password helper was not running. I clicked a button to launch the app but it launched the desktop app. This is very different from version 4 where I could usually relaunch the background apps not the desktop app. Then I got an empty search box - no list of logins, search did nothing. After a lot of un/reinstalling stuff I came across the Ctrl+Alt+\ trick which made the browser extension suddenly populate with everything I need to make 1Password useful. Although the focus wasn't in the search window at that point like I would expect, I did have to manually click in the search box to type a search.

I have to say that I am very disappointed and if I'd known how unfinished the windows version was I never would of started the migration. I find that 1Password is usually better quality than this and while I managed to get it working it is far from usable. It feels like you haven't been very thorough in your testing for the windows version before dumping it on poor unsuspecting souls like myself. Either that or you don't care so much for the windows users of the world, the mac/iphone versions seem rock solid.

Can you tell me when the windows version will be proper fit and polish for normal usage. I've seen many other posts complaining about the same issue with 1Password6 and the answer you are telling people about firewalls/anti-virus is mis-leading and unhelpful. It's obviously an issue with your software so please take responsibility and fix it.

1Password Version: 6.0.186d
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dear @mmilliss,

I am sorry to hear you had such experience with the current version of 1Password 6 for Windows! :( It was never our intention. Moreover, we don't want our Windows customers to feel abandoned. That is why we published a public beta for everyone. There were announcements about this in our blog and forums.

1Password 6 beta is not a complete solution and it is not a substitute for 1Password 4. The thing is that 1Password 4 handles the data in a way, which is not suitable for 1Password Accounts, so we decided to build a new app and implement all of the features over time before we can consider replacing 1Password 4.

Again, I am sorry that you bumped into issues like those, while trying out 1Password 6 beta, which is still in active development. We should have made this information more clear.

We are working really hard to make 1Password 6 for Windows just as great as it is on Mac, but it takes time. If you need all the features from 1Password 4 available to you immediately, you can roll back to version 4, we will be happy to assist you with this process. I hope for your understanding.

Thanks,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.