Local Backups of 1Password.com Vaults

johnsbrayton
johnsbrayton
Community Member

Just two days ago I migrated my 1Password data from a Dropbox-synchronized vault to a 1Password.com vault. With the recent news of a Dropbox security breach, I was eager to get my 1Password data out of my Dropbox account. I was happy to pay an extra $3/month for more secure hosting of my encrypted password data. After doing so and reinitializing 1Password on my devices from scratch, I noticed that the "Backup" toolbar item was no longer present in the preferences window of the Mac app. After inquiring on Twitter I learned that the Mac app does not make local backups of 1Password.com vaults.

Local backups are a huge part of what gives me confidence that 1Password combined with a syncing mechanism would never lose my data. I've never seen any syncing mechanism work perfectly and I've never seen a web service without downtime. My password vault is one of my most critical sets of data.

My fear of losing access to my passwords through a syncing bug or a 1Password.com outage significantly outweigh the Dropbox security concern that made me sign up for the 1Password.com service. I've moved my 1Password data back to a Dropbox-synchronized vault.

Please consider adding automated, encrypted backups of 1Password.com-hosted vaults into the desktop app. I consider it absolutely critical.

I love 1Password. I recommend it often. I would like to be able to recommend the 1Password.com service the way I recommend the app.

Thank you.

John

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OS X 10.11, 10.12
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

The lack of local backups also bothers me. It is one of the things that might result in me going back to the license model after trying out the account model. I know you say that you perform backups of our data on your servers. But critical data should never only be backed up in one place. Is there at least some way of exporting data so that we can make regular manual backups of our critical data?

• tastyroadkill
    tastyroadkill
    Community Member

Add me to the list of those who need local backups before I will join the subscription model.

• roustem
    edited September 2016

One option could be to copy vault contents into a local vault. The local vault could then also be saved as an .opvault, if needed. That would provide the way to access your data without 1Password.com.

Since the data stored in 1Password.com is considered to be the "truth" from the syncing point of view, there is no other (simpler) way to perform backup and, more importantly, perform restore of a particular account or vault. Internally, the service itself performs a continuous automated and encrypted backup of the entire database, provided by Amazon Web Services (https://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora/).

• I should also add that in the past 8 years I implemented syncing in 1Password at least 5 times and the 1Password.com syncing is by far the simplest, fastest and most reliable implementation we have. Things are much easier when you can control, test, and monitor both server and the clients.

This discussion has been closed.