Thumb Login needed, Master Password not working

Options
brennanmcgann
brennanmcgann
Community Member

Hello,
I usually use my thumb print to access the app, but sometimes it switches to Maser Password and usually it's no problem. I haven't changed my password, but it seems to not be working any longer.

Is there any way to force my 1Password app to bring the thumb icon back? ... and why does it disappear anyway?

I'm running iOS 9.3.5, the app is updated to current build.

Thanks for your response!

1Password Version: updated to whatever is current
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.5
Sync Type: backup to pc

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@brennanmcgann: Sorry for the confusion! The Master Password is always needed to decrypt your data. However, if you have enabled Touch ID in 1Password, after you unlock it with your Master Password the first time (based on your security settings in the app), and then after that you can use Touch ID to unlock it (since a hash is saved securely in the iOS Keychain). At this point, if you dismiss the Touch ID prompt, you can bring it up again by tapping the "fingerprint" icon. But again, this icon will only be available if you have already unlocked with your Master Password previously. For example, I have it set (Settings > Advanced > Require Master Password) to once per restart. But of course if I manually lock from within 1Password I will need to enter my Master Password again.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over, as 1Password cannot decrypt the data to unlock unless the password matches exactly. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• appleab
    appleab
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I had this issue as well today. I went to login into my 1password on my iOS device. I wasn't prompted for my touch id like usual but prompted for my master password. My master password didn't work and I am 100% sure I was typing it in correctly. Lucky for me, I had my master key paper handy. I had to uninstall and reinstall for it work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry for the trouble! In the future, if you run into trouble, definitely try the tips in this guide, as they may help. Much easier than starting over! But I'm glad your Emergency Kit helped. Cheers! :)

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

For your info I just had this exact same problem on iOS (version 6.4.4). I have been using 1Password for a few days, installed on iOS & PC. The iOS app suddenly required a password (always fingerprint before) and then the password wasn't working.

• I tried the link (tip guide) above and it still didn't let me login.
    • I tried opening the app from the app store like someone suggested, it didn't let me in.
    • The password was accepted and worked fine in the Windows program & 1Password webpage, but, wouldn't work at all on iOS.

I have had to uninstall & reinstall the app, resign in using the key and now it is working again.

I have seen quite a few similar threads, can someone please look at this? If I wasn't able to get home, I would have been unable to access any of my passwords and use any login. This is a major issue and may prevent me from renewing my subscription in the future if it happens again.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Spaldo: I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for reporting this! Did you recently change your credentials on your 1Password.com account, like changing your email address, account key or the password — or make other changes there? I haven't experienced anything like this with 1Password for iOS, but I haven't made any changes recently either. Thanks in advance!

• Spaldo
    Spaldo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Hi, no I didn't make any changes to that. That is why I found it so strange and concerning that all of a sudden my app wouldn't open. Which means I couldn't get any of the passwords!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@Spaldo, @appleab, @brennanmcgann: Were each of you perhaps using 1Password for iOS before to signing into a 1Password Account in the app?

This would be because you either used 1Password before we'd even introduced the subscription service, before signing up for it, or simply setting up the app with a local Primary vault before logging into your account.

In any of these cases, the app will unlock only with the Master Password you chose for your local Primary vault (not the Personal vault in your account).

Setting a different password for your 1Password Account will not change this. But you'll now able to use the Master Password for your 1Password Account to unlock the app if you did not create/sync a local vault and only signed into your account when setting up the app. Obviously it may be impossible to confirm this now that you've destroyed the evidence, but let me know if that rings a bell. ;)

• appleab
    appleab
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds like that may have been the case! I had an existing vault pre 1password account. I only attempted to enter my new master password (it was different than my original vault).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@appleab: Thanks for letting me know. Be sure to reach out if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.