Web form clearing when App switching

Options

I have an issue but after reading the comments, it appears I am not alone in this predicament. In my case, I have set up a public wifi login that has been saved to 1Password for iOS.

Each time I try to copy paste in between 1Password and iOS Wifi settings (invokes a web form), the login fields go blank.

I will attempt an image capture next time,

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @wkleem! That's an interesting issue. Where did you hear about it on the forum before? Perhaps that will provide some context. :)

Are these networks the type that are open, then you connect to them and enter a guest password/access code in an authentication window? Copy and pasting from 1Password shouldn't be any different than from another app in that case if you're referring to the authentication window's fields disappearing. I'll need a bit more info to go deeper though. Please do take a screenshot if you get the chance.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

That's an interesting issue. Where did you hear about it on the forum before? Perhaps that will provide some context. :)

I found this discussion which may or may not be relevant to the present discussion:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/59540/inability-to-copy-paste-passwords

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/11575/some-apps-block-pasting-passwords

Here are the screen captures:

• Jacob
    Options

@wkleem Thanks for those details! As Khad mentioned back in 2012, there's unfortunately nothing we can do to help with pasting passwords on these websites. To make entering them manually easier, you can use words for your password. In the password generator, just choose the Words tab and you can generate strong passwords that way, which are a lot easier to type and remember on the fly. :) If you'd like these websites to accept pasting, I'd recommend getting in touch with the folks who develop them. Hope that helps!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@Jacob,

Just to add to the discussion, Apple Support told me that having a screen protector can intefere with the touchscreen haptic function. I've not removed my screen protection from my primary iPhone but I will try it on my standby phone.

My older phone has wifi issues, so I have to see what I can do with it.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @wkleem,

I'd just like to ask a question question about the copy and pasting. When you said earlier

Each time I try to copy paste in between 1Password and iOS Wifi settings (invokes a web form), the login fields go blank.

Is it that you can copy and paste a single field but it's when you jump between 1Password for iOS and the login screen that it clears the already filled fields? That I have experienced and the only recourse I've found is if I insist on a nice strong password (which I do prefer to do) to copy and paste the password before manually typing in my username/email address. I suffer the same issue with a couple of iOS apps as well as the few times I've used a public Wi-Fi hotspot. Given swapping between the two iOS apps is the cause there's no workaround we can offer. It's frustrating but sometimes we're limited by the operating system.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables, I will have to go to a hotspot to try again. I have no issues copying from 1Password for iOS. I just cannot paste it into the text box. Nothing gets accepted.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Ah, one of those where they actively disable pasting. I never understand the point of this, all it can ever really do is force people to dumb down passwords to ones that are a combination of memorable and are easy to type (to reduce the number of typos). Oh well, this is the game we have to keep playing for now.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi

When copying text, there usually is a "Copy Reveal Large Type" Bubble and I'm not even seeing that when I do a tap or long press on the text box. Nothing shows up irrespective of the times that I try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@wkleem: Indeed. I'm sorry for the trouble, and I feel your pain! For this reason, I very much hate these types of "captive portal" Wi-Fi hotspot logins. They're pretty user hostile as you describe, and, to add insult to injury, I find I have to re-login to them more frequently too, since the credentials cannot be saved in the iOS Keychain like a standard secured Wi-Fi network.

It's important to note that none of this happens anywhere 1Password can go: Safari or 1Browser; it's within the Settings app, under Wi-Fi. There's simply no way for 1Password to integrate with that.

Unfortunately the only way this will improve is if Apple makes this experience a bit better at the OS level (by not clearing the page when multitasking) or the providers themselves make it easier by at least allowing us to copy and paste credentials. Hang in there! :angry:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

iOS 10 will be out soon. Hopefully, it will improve things or maybe not... :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not aware of substantial changes in this area, so I don't want to get your hopes up. But I'd be glad to be proven wrong! :lol:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

Have you and your Agilebits Team members come across this issue wrt iOS 9? Very annoying.

https://discussions.apple.com/article/HT204051

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7521562?tstart=0

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Wow. Not that I'm aware of. iOS 9.3.1 came out in March and this is the first I've heard of it. Not being able to connect to Wi-Fi at all sounds horrific, and would effectively brick an iPod touch since it wouldn't have a cellular connection to fall back on. :scream:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Nobody has the slightest clue to the problem. I currently suspect the router, but it could be anything. Three iOS 9 devices and the only one affected is the 5s!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The problem with Wi-Fi is it could be so many things (hardware/software in multiple places) . So frustrating. :angry:

This discussion has been closed.