Debating to Use Family from long time 1Password user, question about use/set up

Options
Dr_Agileup77
Dr_Agileup77
Community Member

Long time 1Password user. Currently using non-Family version on Mac/iphones/ipads with spouse i.e. phones/ipads between us, all shared on 1 account. Debating to use Family as our teenager has a use for passwords now for school etc etc. Daughter is not using 1Pasword yet.

We each have our own Iphones/ipads. Looking for simple instructions and to understand how to transition so my spouse and I share everything in Family and so our daughter has some access also but not all.

Also does each person have to have their own unique master password to sign in/create an account? (If so then I'd have to track these also?) To simplify, my spouse and I would share everything and our daughter would have access to some information.

I may have missed these instructions as I see many articles about more complicated set ups but could not find one for a simple situation as ours. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi @Dr_Agileup77! Welcome to the forum. :) I'd be happy to help you and your family started with 1Password.

Also does each person have to have their own unique master password to sign in/create an account? (If so then I'd have to track these also?) To simplify, my spouse and I would share everything and our daughter would have access to some information.

Yes. Each family member gets their own Account Key and Master Password when they sign up to the family. You don't have to keep track of them because if one of the members loses their Master Password, you can recover their account as a Family Organizer. You can also make your spouse an organizer so they can do the same, and also recover you in case you lose access to your account.

To get started, I'd recommend simply signing up your family and inviting everyone from the Admin Console. Since you've been using 1Password for a while, I'd also recommend migrating your existing data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And lastly, start sharing with your family. Let us know how that goes, and if you have any questions we'd be happy to help.

• Dr_Agileup77
    Dr_Agileup77
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This helps.
    Another question: For my wife and I to share everything together, like we're already doing on our 1Password original program now, do we create shared folder that we put all of our passwords in? I'm assuming if so and once done then for our daughter to have access to only a few of these we create another folder for family shared passwords?

• @Dr_Agileup77 You're welcome. :) 1Password Families includes a Shared vault, actually, though you may not want to use it since you also have other members in the account. The Shared vault is available to anyone on the account. For you and your wife, I'd recommend creating another vault and sharing that with her. You can do the same to share directly with your daughter as well. Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.