Items not in the Primary vault can't be added [will be supported in a future update]

Veraxus
Veraxus
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Apple Watch

I'd purchased the Pro version of 1Password for iOS but I also have 1Password for Families. While trying to add items to my Apple Watch from my iPhone, I noticed that there wasn't actually an Apple Watch option anywhere. Then I stumbled onto an item that was still in my "Primary" vault and hadn't yet been moved to my "Personal" vault... and the "Add to Apple Watch" option was there. After some testing, I found that the option ONLY shows up on items in the Primary vault, and never shows up for any items in one of the family vaults.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Apple Watch only works with local vaults

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Veraxus: I'm sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Apple Watch predates 1Password Families (and Teams and individual plans), so it isn't able to read data in those vaults. It's something we're working on for a future update though. Thanks for letting us know you're anxious for this feature as well! :)

• applejosh
    applejosh
    Community Member

If I had known this, I wouldn't have migrated to a 1Password account. This seems like a huge oversight considering the push you made to your proprietary sync solution. I'm pretty disappointed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016

@applejosh: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. It certainly isn't our aim to "push" anyone into anything. We're working on adding support for 1Password Account vaults (and I'm looking forward to that myself), but in the mean time you can use a Primary vault to add items to your Apple Watch.

• applejosh
    applejosh
    Community Member

Appreciate the response, but adding another vault is counterproductive to having things in the same place. The whole point of having a password wallet type app is not having to maintain multiple repositories. I don't consider this a viable workaround to this issue. Hope the fix comes soon. Uninstalled from watch for the mean time as it is currently useless.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think those who use 1Password expressly for its multiple vault support might disagree with you on that point, but you're right that it's less convenient if you only want a single vault. And that's why we're working on adding support for multiple vault types in 1Password for Apple Watch. Cheers! :)

• datainajar
    datainajar
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password for families. Had previously been able to get items from the 1Password app onto my Apple watch. Disappointed to learn that this function isn't available to team and family accounts. Looking forward to getting the feature back! Any idea how far away it is?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@datainajar: We don't have any release dates to announce, but rest assured we're working on it. :)

• datainajar
    datainajar
    Community Member

@brenty great thank you - looking forward to it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for the encouragement! Personally, I can't wait either! :chuffed: :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for the encouragement! Personally, I can't wait either! :chuffed: :+1:

• julianabr
    julianabr
    Community Member

I just got my apple watch and was really looking forward to this feature as well. You really should change your description on itunes store and in your help section. Makes me nuts when instructions say "click here" and "here" doesnt exist. Also i hope you all are thinking of the legion of us who lusted after the apple watch when it first came out, but waited not so patiently for the next iteration. They are selling these babies like there is no tomorrow (3-5 week waiting list last i checked), especially with the lower price point on the nike versions. Please bump this up the priority chain!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. I'm really sorry for the confusion that caused you! We can't make it a higher priority than it already is though. Throwing more resources at something isn't a good way to get a good result, so we're focused on making it the best we can. A lot has changed in the Apple Watch world since it was initially introduced, with two major hardware releases, three OSes, and (apropos to this discussion) three SDKs. So we're working with the latest one, and look forward to sharing updates with you in the future. ;)

• bselwob
    bselwob
    Community Member

Just received my apple watch today - add me to the list looking forward to it working with multiple vaults.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise! Hopefully we'll have some good news for everyone coming up. :)

• coreylista
    coreylista
    Community Member

Add me to that list! I use it daily for MFA and just migrated to a family account... At first I thought it was because I am running the latest betas, but when I setup my wives watch she had the same issue. Looking forward to an update! :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Me too! I'm sorry for the confusion that caused you and your family. Thanks for your patience while we work on the new version! :)

• macvinz
    macvinz
    Community Member

When I did a trial of the Family account I ended up with a Personal vault instead of the Primary vault. I'm now using an Individual account and could not figure our how to rename my Personal vault to Primary vault so I could use the Apple Watch functionality again.

Is there another approach?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@macvinz: No 1Password Account includes a Primary vault. This is a local vault created when you're using the standalone 1Password app. You can reinstall the app, set it up "without an account" (so you can create a new local vault, which will be your Primary), and then login under 1Password Settings > Accounts to add your data. Alternatively, sit tight and we'll have a new Apple Watch app for you in an update as soon as it's ready. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.