1 password 3.8.22 on my mac El Capitan 10.11.3 appears to be corrupted, does not let me edit

When I upgraded some software on my Mac, I noticed that 1 password is not letting me edit, appears to be corrupted, with a line running through and when I open to edit and try to change something the text gets big.

I have rebooted computer and closed and restarted 1 password.
thanks

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX El Capitan 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1 password 3.8.22 on my mac yosemite appears to be corrupted, does not let me edit

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Old programs do lose functionality as OS changes affect them. 1PW 3.8.22 is very old, it worked reasonably well in Yosemite with some limitations, but isn't really satisfactory on El Capitan.

I would recommend that you make the upgrade to 1PW6, even though it is a paid upgrade. (Actually, the upgrade from 3 to 4 was paid, and the upgrades from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 were free, which amounts to the same thing.)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@clam123 in addition to what danco said, and the good advice he gave, you may find it helpful to read this sticky at the top of the 1P3 Legacy forum.

Stephen

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @clam123,

I have one more link for you in addition to the info that danco and Stephen_C have provided: a help article outlining how to safely upgrade 1Password from version 3 to version 6 on your Mac.

How do I upgrade 1Password for Mac from version 3?

And we're certainly here to help if you have any more questions for us. Cheers! :)

• clam123
    clam123
    Community Member

Thanks, followed directions and it worked. Not sure how I let upgrading go so long.

clam123

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

That good news, @clam123! Thanks for following up to let us know that went well.

Hopefully 1Password will work like a dream from now on, but we'll be here to help if you need anything else! :) Cheers.

• keesie
    keesie
    Community Member

So, basically, I'll have to fork over some money to get my passwords back. And the next time this happens fork over some more money.

• keesie
    keesie
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Ah, I see I can use 1 password 6 in trial mode for 30 days to export my passwords to another password manager. Thanks for that. And sorry for the snarky remark above. I can imagine the difficulty with back compatibility.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @keesie,

I'm sorry you ran into trouble with 1Password 3 on El Capitan! That can be a frustrating situation and I completely understand if you were upset to discover 1Password 6 is a paid upgrade from 1Password 3. We never want our customers to feel like they're being forced to upgrade - as we've always stated, your license for the purchased version (in this case, version 3) will never expire and you can continue using that version as long as your computer's operating system supports it.

Of course, as that sentence implies, changes to the operating system might cause incompatibilities, which is true of all apps. 1Password 3 for Mac is a much older version which hasn't been in development for several years now, and unfortunately when Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) was released last year (October 2015), it included changes that caused compatibility issues in some older software like 1Password 3. We have more details about that here: 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

Upgrading from a 1Password 3 for Mac license to version 6 is a paid upgrade, but we do offer a 50% upgrade discount. If you're interested, you can visit our Upgrade Store and enter your license code to see your upgrade discount.

If you decide to switch to a different password manager, we'd hate to see you go, but we would certainly understand. Like you said, you can install 1Password 6 which should find your 1Password 3 data, and you can export your data from there if you want to switch to something else. 1Password 6 is fully functional during the 30 day free trial, but you should still be able to export even after the trial expires, so there's no hurry.

I also wanted to let you know that we introduced 1Password accounts this year, which is a different way to purchase/use 1Password. Instead of buying a license for the new version, you can sign up for an account, which is a subscription service that gives you access to the latest 1Password app on all supported platforms, and includes future upgrades to those apps for no extra charge. There are many other great features & benefits that come with a 1Password account, and we're even offering the first 6 months of service completely free for individual accounts. You can read more about that here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/08/03/new-1password-hosted-service/

But as I said, we understand if you feel a different password manager is a better fit for you. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions about any of this, or if you need help using 1Password 6 on your Mac. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.