Google Drive Support

14567810»

Comments

• simbrubie
    simbrubie
    Community Member

Well, from a development point of view, I understand. But it's a marketing thing. But that's just my oppinion. :)

So far, hope to hear soon from AgilBit. ;)

• jestep
    jestep
    Community Member

"and we have the resources to develop, test, and support it on an ongoing basis, then we'll probably do it"

This is exactly the problem........

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, from a development point of view, I understand. But it's a marketing thing. But that's just my oppinion. :)
    So far, hope to hear soon from AgilBit. ;)

@simbrubie: Indeed. We definitely don't want to release (and market) something we're not prepared to support on an ongoing basis. :dizzy:

"and we have the resources to develop, test, and support it on an ongoing basis, then we'll probably do it"
    This is exactly the problem........

@jestep: That's what I've been trying to tell you! :blush:

• jestep
    jestep
    Community Member

Right, AgileBits either does not have the resources or the people who know how to code for it.... But after 3 years you would think that would not be the case....

• the6step
    the6step
    Community Member

Hi! I like 1password but it's support for Android has honestly been iffy. For many many years we waited patiently for an Android app... I'd have to go back and look at the threads, but people waited an extremely long time for 1password to come to Android. Now that it's finally here, the next big thing is dropping Dropbox for Google Drive.... I literally sync Dropbox to 3 of my computers + my phone for no other reason than to support 1 password. I think it's great that there are priorities but after waiting so long for the Android app to drop... I think we have to accept that Google support just isn't the highest priority for you guys, regardless of how you spin it... and that's fine. However... Google Drive will be bigger than Dropbox, and you guys really should support it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I sincerely hope we'll be able to add Google Drive support to 1Password. It would be important to do so across all platforms for it to be truly useful though, and of course that ups the ante considerably when it comes to development resources. And while it is popular on Android, there isn't much call for it on other platforms. Dropbox really is the leader in this space. That's not to say it isn't worth doing, but it illustrates why Dropbox (which also predates Google Drive by a full 5 years) is supported in 1Password. I'm sorry I don't have good news to share right now, but it's very much on our radar.

• Brenmcrae
    Brenmcrae
    Community Member

Wow. What a long thread with a lot of excuses (not saying that the excuses aren't valid). This feature has been requested for what? The last 3 years...

A quote from saad
    "Google drive support has been among the top requested features, and it's definitely being looked by our developers. Thanks for your vote, I will pass it on!"

If this is one of your top requested features it might be best to come up with a solution instead of a bunch of excuses. I find it hard to believe that your dev team has been so proactively looking into this for the last 3 years without a solution or fix.

"and when we have the resources to develop, test, and support it on an ongoing basis, then we'll probably do it"

So if this is the major hold-up, are you planning on getting the resources to support this feature?

I'm guessing this will be the response, only written in a more marketable way.

Hi,
    Thank you for the feedback. Our development team has been looking into this for the last 3 years without success. We are unable to figure out a solution with our limited resources. We don't plan on obtaining more resources in the near future even though it's one of top requested features. We are to busy to listen to all your demands! We will continue to collect your votes for this feature to make all of you feel that we are listening and to buy us another 5 years to develop this simple feature. I sincerely hope over the next 100 years that we may or may not add this request. We want this feature too.. We also plan on releasing a teleportation app.

Sincerely,
    Angilbits

Release this feature already. Oh, and add my vote :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Brenmcrae: We don't have anything new to announce on this front. As Saad mentioned previously,

If we are able to overcome the limitations we faced while exploring the Drive SDK for Android, we will take a look into it again. Thanks.

• Brenmcrae
    Brenmcrae
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Hi Brenty,

I know there are limitations for Android. Do the same limitations apply to IOS?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Brenmcrae: I don't know all of the specifics, but on Android Google Drive has fewer limitations (understandably) by comparison. Having it built into the OS certainly doesn't hurt, whereas in your example of iOS, only iCloud has deep integration. Similarly, while Dropbox doesn't have the advantages that iCloud has on Apple platforms, its APIs are mature and available to us on all the platforms we need to support (and then some). They did have a bit of a head start though (5 years).

This discussion has been closed.