reinstallation via back up to iOS upgrade (HOW TO)

Options
sholen
sholen
Community Member

Hi All,
I need to upgrade from OS 10.9.5 to Yosemite, I would like to know the best best course of action / procedure to take for backing up 1P4 then reinstalling via a Yosemite upgrade. Unfortunately the HD is going to be wiped in-between backing up and reinstallation. Any specifics would be great, including links.

many thanks.
s.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: 10.9.5 > Yosemite
Sync Type: no SYNC in play at this time
Referrer: forum-search:how to reinstall 1P4 after whipping HD and upgrade to yosemite

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sholen,

Thanks for contacting us with your question! I can definitely help you with this.

If you're going to be wiping your hard drive, and if you don't sync your 1Password data to another device, you'll definitely want to create a backup of your data somewhere else first. 1Password makes that easy because it automatically creates backup files, and all you need to do is copy those backups to some storage device, or cloud storage, etc.

To find your 1Password backup files, open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup. That will open the Backup preferences which shows a list of the backups on your Mac. Click the Show Files button to open the 1Password backups folder on your Mac, then simply copy those backup files (or at least the most recent one) to a USB drive, external hard drive, cloud storage service, etc.

After you erase/upgrade/set up your Mac again, you can copy the backup file(s) back to your Mac. Download the 1Password app, and the first time you open it, you can choose the option that says you have your data somewhere else, and you'll have the option to restore from a backup file.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• sholen
    sholen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the sep by step. Particularly the after the HD is wiped part.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @sholen! We're always happy to help, so don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.