1Password from Mac App Store: can it be synced with two different Apple IDs?

Hey folks,

I'm interested in purchasing a 1Password copy from the Mac App Store, but not quite sure if such license will suits my needs.

We are two users, me and my wife, both have Macs and iPhones, so there're 4 devices in total with two different Apple IDs. We've setup Apple's family sharing between our IDs, so as far as I know, she'll no need buy an extra 1Password copy.

My main question is about sync. Can we keep everything perfectly synced with each other using a single 1Password license from the Mac App Store? If so, how — iCloud or Dropbox?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• JacobJacob

Team Member

Hi @dsokolovskiy! Thanks for asking about this. I would recommend using a 1Password Families subscription over the Mac App Store app because it makes sharing things a lot simpler. With the Mac App Store version, you would need to purchase twice — once for yourself and once for your wife. 1Password Families gives you both all the apps with a simple subscription, and you can even add 3 other family members. :) It also makes general sharing a bit easier since you don't have to worry about sync — everything is stored in the account and you can share with your wife using the Shared vault included with the account. Feel free to take it for a spin and let us know what you think.

• @Jacob thanks for your reply. Frankly speaking, I hate subscription model and prefer to own a copy without the needs of continues payments. This is why I'm interesting in purchasing the Mac App Store version.

So back to the main question, can we keep all the date in sync on four devices and two different users?

• JacobJacob

Team Member

@dsokolovskiy That's okay. :) I wanted to make sure you knew there was an easier way; it's not the only way. You can set things up without a subscription. I would recommend using Dropbox to sync because it will also give you a way to share passwords with your wife:

How to share a vault using Dropbox

Dropbox is supported on all devices, so it should work perfectly for you. It doesn't matter if you have different Apple IDs either. Hope that helps!

• @Jacob thanks again, the Dropbox sync seems a way to go for me.

Now I'm only confused with the term "vault". As far as I understand, it's just a fancy name for a group of passwords? Can I have all of my date within one vault? Or can have multiple vaults synced with other users via Dropbox if I'll need it?

Some explanation on this would be really appreciated :-)

• JacobJacob

Team Member

@dsokolovskiy That's a good question. A vault is an encrypted container for items of any sort. Passwords and Logins are the main types of items people store in vaults. Most of the time you won't need to think about the word vault because you'll only have one. If you would like to have one for you and one to share with your wife, that's when the term is more important. You can share as many vaults as you'd like with Dropbox. You can create a new vault in 1Password for Mac by choosing 1Password -> New Vault from the menu bar. :)

This discussion has been closed.