Feature Request: Auto-Type

1Password for Terminal, iTunes, etc.
I was wondering if this could be at all realized.

I use 1Pwd to manage all my passwords, including those for accounts on remote servers, SSH sessions and so forth. The one problem with this is that I tell 1Pwd to generate random passwords, there's no easy way to remember those so every time I'm faced with a password prompt in my terminal I need to open 1Pwd, find the account, copy the password and paste it into the right place.

This has, at times, also resulted in me accidentally pasting my password on IRC because I missed which window actually had focus <_< .

In light of this, is/would it be at all possible to integrate 1Pwd with Terminal and preferably iTerm2?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for asking about this, Daenney! :-)

I changed the topic of your post to reflect what I felt was the broader sense of the feature request. (I hope you don't mind.)

While 1Password for Windows has an auto-type feature (which fills your information into any window), 1Password for Mac does not currently support this. It would make a lot of us users (including us users on the AgileBits team) very happy, but I don't have a time frame for when/if it will happen. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now, but I do hope that will change in the future.

If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Cheers!
  • I am using various native applications which require passwords, such as VPN. I love storing my passwords in 1Password but it is a fair number of clicks to find and copy all the relevant data in to the app. Is there a global short cut key to open this?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, hez!

At this time 1Password only integrates directly with web browsers, but a more global solution is something we have been looking at for a future release. I don't have any additional information on it (or a time frame), but we appreciate knowing that you would like to see it too!

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • Daenney
    Daenney
    Community Member
    Well that would be fantastic.

My YubiKey has a similar feature, it emulates a HID so basically acts like a keyboard when I need to authenticate with it filling the prompts as necessary. Since that approach works perhaps you'd have to look into some kind of a 1Password kext that can emulate such behavior and a global shortcut that invokes this behavior for the current prompt that has focus.
  • Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member
    I ran into this today (and other times) where I'm outside of a browser, but need a password login/fill. In this case it was new PogoPlug software prompting me from within System Preferences. Of course if I forget my own info I have to go open 1P and look it up. A PITA but doable - OK I'm just spoiled by the ease of 1P...

Any kind of "Fill" button or menu bar item coming for these types of things?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    A system service that provides autofill capabilities for every application is something that we have been considering, but I don't have any kind of time frame for when or if it will be available. Thanks for letting us know that you are interested in this, though. It sure would be a great addition to 1Password for Mac. 1Password for Windows already has this "auto-type" feature.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.