My preference menu on 2007 iMac is different my 2016 iMac. No Sync, WLAN, Backup on 2016 iMac.

Options
R_Stevens
R_Stevens
Community Member

Got 2016 iMac and wanted to use as my primary computer. When I try to find the backup file using the preference menu I am missing Sync, WLAN, Backup items. 2007 iMac OS X 11.10.5 2016 iMac 10.11.6. I have a primary vault and a personal vault. I wanted to have one vault (primary).

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X10.11.6
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:My preference menu on 2007 iMac is different on my 2016 iMac.

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @R_Stevens

I'm sorry that 1Password can get a bit confusing! It sounds like you've picked to use 1Password with an account on your new computer. To be able to keep on using 1Password as you always have, you need to go to Preferences > Advanced and then make sure that "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" is enabled. You should be able to see your Primary vault (and the missing options) then. If you don't want to have your Personal Vault in your computer, or keep on using the account you can sign out by going to Preferences > Accounts and click on "Sign Out".

Please let us know how this goes for you, and if you bump into any trouble, we're here to help you :chuffed:

• R_Stevens
    R_Stevens
    Community Member
    Options

The 1P preferences on 2016 Imac show all menu items now. My vaults 2007Imac show my primary and personal vaults. 2016Imac has the contents of the personal vault but the primary vault has no items. 1- I would like to combine the two vaults into one primary vault and remove the personal vault. 2- I would like for the primary vault to be sync'ed across all devices. 3 - I would like the 2016Imac to be the device that I can store my backup file.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @R_Stevens

I'm glad to hear this process is going well for you, so lets go ahead and get you all sorted out. Lets go one step at a time :chuffed:

1- I would like to combine the two vaults into one primary vault

The migration guide also works backwards! Just follow the steps starting at mine 2:10 approximately to move everything from your account into your local vault.

and remove the personal vault.

Go to Preferences in 1Password > Accounts and then Sign Out.

2- I would like for the primary vault to be sync'ed across all devices.

You can find the guide to set up iCloud Sync here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

3 - I would like the 2016Imac to be the device that I can store my backup file.

Both computers will be in sync and both will save automatically backups!

Please let us know how these new steps work out for you. If you bump into any trouble, we're here to help :chuffed:

• R_Stevens
    R_Stevens
    Community Member
    Options

I completed the steps. Move all items to primary vault. I see the items on both iMacs, iphone, ipad. When I login to web site, I only see a personal, shared, all vaults. No primary vault with my items.

• R_Stevens
    R_Stevens
    Community Member
    Options

On 2007imac under 1P > Preference >backup tab 160 items, and under primary vault > all items 170, Trash 153. On 2016imac under 1P > Preference >backup tab 323 items, and under primary vault > all items 170, Trash 153. Why the difference in backup items 160 vs 323? Are the backups on each imac just local and are not synced?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @R_Stevens,

I completed the steps. Move all items to primary vault. I see the items on both iMacs, iphone, ipad. When I login to web site, I only see a personal, shared, all vaults. No primary vault with my items.

I think there's some confusion here about the difference between the Primary vault and the Personal vault, but I can definitely help to clear it up and explain what's happening:

The Primary vault is not part of your 1Password account. It's a completely separate vault that we often refer to as a local/standalone vault, because it only exists locally on the device where you created it unless you sync it elsewhere by using one of the sync options: iCloud, Dropbox, or WLAN Server. Because it isn't part of your 1Password account, it isn't hosted on our own servers, and therefore you won't see it when you sign into your account on 1Password.com.

The Personal vault is part of your 1Password account, so you'll see it when you sign into 1Password.com (as well as any other vaults you may have created in your account). Vaults that are part of your account are hosted on our own servers, and therefore there are no sync settings for those vaults - all you need to do is sign into your account within the 1Password app on a device to make your data available there.

So basically you have a couple choices:

• You can keep your data in the Primary vault and use the iCloud (or Dropbox) option to sync it with your other devices. However, you won't have access to any of that data from 1Password.com.

Or:

• You can sign into your 1Password account in the app and move all your data to the Personal vault. (Then, if you want to, you can delete the Primary vault.) On other devices, simply sign into your account from the 1Password app. You'll also be able to access all your account data from 1Password.com.

I'm very sorry for any confusion about that, but I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have more questions.

On 2007imac under 1P > Preference >backup tab 160 items, and under primary vault > all items 170, Trash 153. On 2016imac under 1P > Preference >backup tab 323 items, and under primary vault > all items 170, Trash 153. Why the difference in backup items 160 vs 323? Are the backups on each imac just local and are not synced?

Hmm, that sounds strange. On your 2007 iMac, are you looking at the most recent backup file in Preferences > Backup? If you click the Backup Now button to create a new backup, does the new backup file also show 160 items?

The number of items shown for a backup file should be the total of all items in all local/standalone vaults, including those in the Trash of those local/standalone vaults. So if your Primary vault has 323 total items, I don't know why the backup would only show 160 items (unless perhaps it's an older backup from when you only had 160).

However, if you decide to move all your data to your 1Password account / Personal vault, that won't matter anymore, because your backups will be taken care of by our servers. Let us know what you decide, thanks! :)

• R_Stevens
    R_Stevens
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for clarifying the differences in the vaults. Moved data to personal vault deleted primary vault and am using 1password account.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! I'm glad that was helpful. Thanks for following up to let us know you decided to move your data to your account's Personal vault and delete the Primary vault.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.