Access without software installation

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Where can I find my account key?.

Comments

• anupgoswami
    anupgoswami
    Community Member
    Options

I have a unique situation. I have the 1password desktop app which works fine for my iPhone and Macbook. However, at work, my work laptop does not allow me to install any outside software since we are a financial company that is strictly regulated. However I need to access some important sites during work (like banks, credit card companies, utility companies etc.) for which I have to lookup password in the 1password tool. I was wondering whether I can access my passwords from 1password web when I am at work. For that the website is asking for an account key which I have no idea how to get that (I have the master key with me). is it even possible to have both - the desktop application and a website access from 1password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@anupgoswami: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion so we can focus on your situation.

With a 1Password subscription, you can access your data through 1Password.com using your 1Password Account credentials. However, we don't actually have any accounts registered under this email address. It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but it doesn't appear that you have one. These are only used if you subscribe to 1Password Families (or Teams, or a personal plan), or signed up for an individual subscription plan. But that's okay! You can use the free trial to see if it fits your needs, and it will also give you access to all of the apps and do away with licenses and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• anupgoswami
    anupgoswami
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the prompt response. When I installed iPassword for my iPhone - it was a free app to install. But for my home Macbook, it charged me $50/= onetime fee for installation. I also received many emails from Dave Teare with helpful instructions soon I made the purchase. Since I purchased the local installation version of the software I never had the need to really register myself into 1Password website. Somehow my Macbook and iPhone synchs automatically when I add a new site login credentials in 1password (in either of them). So that way my life is peaceful :-) . The issue is with my work laptop which does not allow us to install any outside software due to regulation imposed by financial companies (I cannot even visit many social networks like Facebook, LinkedIn etc.). From your email I gather that I have to register to your website and pay at least $2.99 /- per month to have the 1password web feature. That is discouraging since I was hoping that I will get this for free (included) since I already paid the fees for the desktop version. if this fee cannot be waived then I will bear the pain of looking at my iphone each time I login to a bank or credit card site (from work laptop) and then type in the complex password that was generated by 1password.
    You did mention that you do not have any of my records in your system but I did purchase the desktop application with $50/- sometime back. That part surprised me!

• Hi @anupgoswami,

From your email I gather that I have to register to your website and pay at least $2.99 /- per month to have the 1password web feature. That is discouraging since I was hoping that I will get this for free (included) since I already paid the fees for the desktop version.

The monthly fee goes into mostly funding the server farms that is hosting the data for 1Password.com now, so it is not sustainable to have a single fee that pays for the hosting of the lifetime of the customer's account. In exchange, you do get all 1Password apps and its future upgrades included at no extra cost, 1GB of secure storage and a year long worth of item history. What you paid was for the desktop program dealing with local vault files that doesn't leave your drive, which means we don't pay for any hosting.

However, this isn't required. We do want to build a portable version of 1Password that doesn't require any admin right but unfortunately, it isn't as easy as it seems because of how much integration is required to make things work outside of 1Password, such as working with the browser extensions, auto-locking and many more.

You did mention that you do not have any of my records in your system but I did purchase the desktop application with $50/- sometime back. That part surprised me!

It may be for two reasons, your forum email's address is not the original email address you've used to buy 1Password at our store or you've bought 1Password at the Apple's Mac App Store, which we would not have any record of as Apple doesn't share customer information with anyone.

• anupgoswami
    anupgoswami
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response. Yes - I bought the 1Password at the Apple's app store for my Macbook. I understand now why you do not have any details of my purchase. From your email I also gather your obligation to charge customers for web access.
    As I mentioned, I am OK with how I am managing my 1password usage (by looking up my iPhone for the password and enter them manually in different websites in my work laptop). I will keep track of your service from time to time and hope you come up with a slicker version that will allow customers like me to access the password from anywhere (free of any monthly charge obligation).

• Hi @anupgoswami,

You're welcome. One thing that might help is using Large Type on the password fields on your iPhone, it would make it large enough for you to see it as you type on your PC. You can use it by tapping on the password field and select Large Type.

This discussion has been closed.