Totally frustrated with the Families product.

arnbrdt
arnbrdt
Community Member

I am really having trouble navigating the new Families product. It's causing real problems for me that I never had before using the standalone product. If I change or delete shared logins or credit card info I'm not finding it updated in the shared vaults, and I'm confused about why or where to save new info and basically how this thing works. I've been using 1Password for years and years, and it feels like a cumbersome mess to me right now. I can't even get my work done properly or efficiently. I know I'm just on a rant here, but this is the only place I get sent for support. I've watched all the videos and tutorials I can find, but I can't seem to get my mind wrapped around how these shared vaults sync or don't and where the truth of my data is. I updated the info in my primary vault and it's not the same as what's in the shared vaults. Is there one place I can update logins or other info that it will automatically propagate to the other vaults? I just don't get it. Do I need to just use the web interface? I've not had this much frustration with a software product I rely on so heavily for years. If someone can point me to some explainer that I won't have to spent three hours figuring out that would be very helpful.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @arnbrdt! Welcome to our forum, and thanks for posting about this. I'm sorry for the confusion about 1Password Families. It sounds like the issue is that the Primary vault is still around, and you've been editing the contents of that instead of the new Shared vault in your family account. Since each vault is separate, we recommend removing your Primary vault after migrating your data to an account. You're welcome to keep it around, but it can cause some confusion like what you mentioned.

Since you've used 1Password for a while, you are probably wondering, "Well why do I need to migrate to my account at all? Don't I just sign in to it?" While you can just sign in, accounts are a bit more than just something you sign in to. They also store your passwords, credit cards, and other info that you've saved in 1Password, which means you can access it wherever you are, just by signing in. The old Primary vault is not included in the account, and there are new vaults in the account for syncing there. We recommend moving the data over and then removing the old Primary vault to get things moving along. :)

Let me know how that goes! If you have any questions or issues, I’m happy to help.

• arnbrdt
    arnbrdt
    Community Member

mac version 6.3.2. El Capitan, current Chrome build, Dropbox Sync.

• arnbrdt
    arnbrdt
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. So I get the need for getting rid of the old Primary account and I'm down with that. But here's what I see now that got me investigating: under the flagged accounts, which I think are the accounts associated with the Families bit, I have a Personal, a Shared, and then two individual family members. I updated some info in my Personal vault, which I expected to see mirrored in those entries in the individual family member's vaults, but they show the old deleted info. I'm not sure the best way to clean this up at this point.

• arnbrdt
    arnbrdt
    Community Member

@Jacob What's the best way to merge or get my Primary in sync with my newer vaults now that I suspect that there are discrepancies between the two (in preparation for deleting the Primary)? Is there a way to sort by date updated so I make sure I'm keeping the newer info even if they're in two separate vaults? I'm afraid that I have updated items in both the primary and personal vaults inadvertently since upgrading to the Families plan a month ago or so,
    Thanks for your help.

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Personal vault is what the name suggests, personal. If you want to share something with your family, you have to put that item to the Shared vault.

• Dan Ortego
    Dan Ortego
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

I agree with you. I been using 1Password since the company started and I have participated in all of the betas', but the 'Family' thing just seems complicated to me. Then along came the 'Teams' version which confused me even more. My hope was that I could have a few folks in my circle that would be able to access their individual vault using their own desired password. Sure, I would still have overriding authority, but I do not want another member to have access to my bank account. In theory, I'm sure this is possible, but I've yet to figure it out or find anything in the FAQ about it. I certainly don't want everyone in my family to share the same password. Even so, I guess it's a popular thing' but not for me.

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member

@Dan Ortego

My hope was that I could have a few folks in my circle that would be able to access their individual vault using their own desired password.

With families you just invite people. They then they create their account with their own vaults and and their own master password. If you want to share with only a specific person you just create a vault and add that person to it. You then copy or move items from your Personal (or any other) vault into the vault you just created.

I personally just use the shared folder since I haven't had the need for sharing with specific people only. The shared folder everyone in your family will see. Anyway no one but you will have access to your personal vault and you will not have access to the personal vaults of any family members and you will all have different passwords and account keys.

The only things shared will be the URL to login, anything in the shared vault.

• Lots of good thoughts here. :) Let's jump into things.

@arnbrdt The best way to migrate to the family account is to move the items over, then remove the Primary vault you were using before. But not yet. First I want to make sure I understand what you've got set up so far.

But here's what I see now that got me investigating: under the flagged accounts, which I think are the accounts associated with the Families bit, I have a Personal, a Shared, and then two individual family members.

Are you seeing the family members in 1Password for Mac or somewhere else? With a family account, you only need to be signed in to that account. Your family members can sign in from their own computers. You're signed in to your account only from your Mac right?

I updated some info in my Personal vault, which I expected to see mirrored in those entries in the individual family member's vaults, but they show the old deleted info. I'm not sure the best way to clean this up at this point.

Most of your items are in your Personal vault from what I can see. There are only a few in the Shared one. This is where finadeon's post comes in — sharing items with a family account is a matter of having those items in a vault that other members have access to. We made this a bit simpler by adding everyone to the Shared vault automatically when they create their account on the family. If you want to share something with your family and have it updated as well, move it to the Shared vault where you can all access it. Any changes made will sync amongst you. The item won't be in your Personal vault if you move it, but you can access it from the Shared one. :)

• @Dan Ortego Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to pop in and share how things have gone in your experience.

My hope was that I could have a few folks in my circle that would be able to access their individual vault using their own desired password. Sure, I would still have overriding authority, but I do not want another member to have access to my bank account. In theory, I'm sure this is possible, but I've yet to figure it out or find anything in the FAQ about it. I certainly don't want everyone in my family to share the same password.

From what I understand, you're looking to give some of your family members 1Password separately? This is possible in both 1Password Teams and 1Password Families, and it's the way we designed it. The creator of the account invites other members and gives them access to vaults, then they get their own Personal vault that only they have access to. The creator has a Personal vault too. There's a Shared vault for everyone to share things, and more shared vaults can be created to limit the access to other members.

I'm very sorry this wasn't more clear for you. What knowledge base articles did you read looking for this info? And what did you search for? I'd like to make this better for folks who look for it in the future. :)

• Thank you @tommyent! Appreciate your help.

• arnbrdt
    arnbrdt
    Community Member

@Jacob I think I've gotten it all taken care of and with some adjustments I can get this back in order. I did move over all recently modified items in my old Primary account to my Personal account, and (after exporting a backup just in case) I deleted the Primary. Some of my confusion was about the individual accounts not really being "shared" like the Shared is. As I understand it now those individual accounts are just that, individual, just as my Personal account is my individual account. And if I want to have items of mine that are accessible and updated (synced) with my Personal they will have to be in the Shared account, not those individual accounts.
    I've got some cleaning up to do and need to move some things around, but I think I can get it all sorted out. Thanks for your help.
    Seems much of the confusion I had and that I see other forums members have been having is due in no small part to the semantics of the new setup.

• @arnbrdt That's very good to hear! I'm glad you got things sorted out with your Personal vaults. :)

This discussion has been closed.