List of Problems and Aggravations

DrGerm
DrGerm
Community Member

FYI: I found a way to restore this (from my complaint on a previous post)

I really want to get this off my chest. I posted on Twitter and someone replied to what my complaint was. This software is crap. I was going to ignore it, but I've been trying to use it for 3 months or so.... it is beta (I'd call it alpha....) and I REALLY want you guys to make a legitimate app, so here are some problems I'm having:

Beta Version: 6.0.231 Windows 10
Normal Version: 4.6.0.604 Windows 10
iOS Version: 6.4.4

Here is my standard: I know I already paid for a "family license" but, If my Wife (and kids) will not use this, then you may as well ....

1. The beta version will NOT allow me to edit anything. [I wish I could bold and highlight this, seriously WTF???] There is an obvious pencil and the word "Edit" but NOTHING happens. I truly want to scream...
  2. Since I cannot edit an item, if I edit the item in my version 4 app, it almost never updates within my version 6 app. This may be somewhat intended, but since you cannot do this natively in the version 6 app, that is 110% unacceptable.
  3. No rich icons. Not functional, but they are actually really cool.
  4. I "move to trash" items, but NOTHING HAPPENS. 95% of the time. It's still there. There's a trash, but it almost always doesn't go there. In fact, I'm thinking within version 6, it NEVER goes there and what I'm seeing is only what's been deleted within the version 4 app.
  5. When I "Copy Item" to another vault... again... NOT A THING happens within the v6 beta app?? What????
  6. Related to #4, it is intermittent whether if I "Copy Item" to another vault that it actually shows up in that other vault in my iOS app.
  7. Again related to #4. If I "Copy Item" to another vault and it acually does what I expect it to (i.e. move the item to another vault) it then disappears in my version 4 'normal version' app.
  8. The overall appearance of the app is horrible. The borders are all janky. I have to strech the borders to incorporate the entire window. Every time I load the app, it default to the same jacked up view. Absolutely unacceptable.
  9. Not a single of the version 4 categories exist. I don't need to explain further, if you don't know what I'm talking about then I should stop now.
  10. BEYOND UNACCEPTABLE. If I make a change in an item on the version 4 app (which is limited to my DropBox vault, it WILL NOT SYNC TO MY Agile Bits Cloud Vaults. I have tried closing, restarting, logging in and out, etc. and it will not update the version 6 app item listing.
  11. It is retarded to Right Click and Choose "Copy" and then "username" or "password", you should have one single option to either "Copy Username" or "Copy Password".
  12. Related to #10. No option to copy username/password and then automatically minimize the 1password app.
  13. No support for Internet Explorer. Though I don't use IE. That's really BS.....
  14. I feel like I'm living on the edge with this version, on the brink of losing all my information. Is there no "backup"?? If this Beta version breaks, am I at risk of losing all 1,000 or so items I've saved? At least in version 4, there is an "enable automatic backups" option.
  15. The Chrome extension is marginally workable. At least it does the most basic function, which is to input the username/password to the appropriate fields on a page, however there are no other options, i.e. to create a random password on the fly, etc. like in the version 4 iteration.
  16. While I'm at it, WHY haven't you recreated the features of version 4 yet in this version 6 app before releasing it? I'm just confused.
  17. Categories have very bland icons in the main side panel. Not functional, but it's stupid things like this that turn off the wife and kids.
  18. When you "Move and Copy..." an item within the iOS app, it deletes properties such as Favorites, and Apple Watch settings
  19. When you "Move and Copy..." an item to a vault, it no longer appears within the version 4 app. Which may be, sort of intended, but really not acceptable. You should have an update that fixes this in the meantime since there are people using the version 4 app on their windows machine, but the version 6 app on their iOS device.
  20. Everything @PPY posts
  21. In the Chrome app extension ***** DO NOT CLICK THE GEAR ICON *** you would expect to bring up settings, it DOES NOT and risks closing your browser and thus closing any work you're doing if (in this instance) writing a forum post
  22. In the Chrome app extension, clicking the icon that you'd expect to change vaults, it does nothing. Maybe that's intended (it's just an icon, but looks like you should be able to do something since it's a common icon in your other apps).
  23. You need to put a little information as to what "TOTP" means. Not a big deal, but nobody would know.
  24. I'm afraid to retry this (in fear of messing up my database) but when I try to select multiple items and "copy" the item to a vault, it doesn't do what I intend. What I INTEND is to 'MOVE' it out of my Dropbox vault to your cloud vault. Hard to explain. But, I seem to get duplicates, or nothing happens.

I'm stopping here. I'm sorry to be a jerk, but I just need this to work. Version 4 is just fine for me, but I NEED the cloud functionality to make it feasible for a family license to work.

Thanks for listening :)

ONE LAST THING.... even your forums are buggy.... I created a post, it (thankfully) was saved a draft as it bugged out unexpectedly, but then when I try to post it, it will not post it because the forum post requires a 'category'.. I try to select "Windows Beta" but it WILL NOT SELECT IT and thus WILL NOT POST THE POST.... I'll try to copy and past and re-post somehow...

1Password Version: 6.0.231
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro (updated through 9/24/2016)
Sync Type: Agile Bits Cloud, Dropbox

Comments

• DrGerm
    DrGerm
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

I am just about to scream, so bare with me.

I just wrote almost 2 pages of complaints regarding the version 6 Windows Beta program, however as I was further investigating and creating a list of complaints, let me tell you that if you click the extension icon (in Chrome) and select the gear icon (which you'd expect to bring up settings... nothing happens... you click it again thinking "surely I just click it again"... it closes your window and thus erasing an hour of typing....)

I can't explain right now, because I don't want to recreate 30-60 minutes of critique about [removed by moderator] your version 6 beta software is......

I'lll try very hard to calm myself and then recreate the 20 or so complaints I had, because believe it or not, I want (need) you to get this [removed by moderator] straight, like as other's have posted, I need a software that makes it easier to share with others (I've already paid for a 'family license') with the cloud vault's feature.................................... [removed by moderator].....................

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DrGerm: First of all, I'm sorry for the frustrating experience you're having. I've definitely had days like that, when nothing seems to work the way I expect it to — and then to top it off, of course, losing the browser window with everything typed. Yikes. :angry:

However, while I can relate to your frustration, we still need to keep the forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that visit. Be sure to keep that in mind in the future. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

And after all, we're here to help, and there are things you can do to facilitate this:

Help us help you

I don't want to discourage you from commenting. Quite the contrary! Just please take your time, unwind, and when you're ready, let us know the issues you're experiencing. There may be something we can do to help right away, or, at the very least, pass your feedback onto the rest of the team so we can take it into account as we improve the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta app and add features going forward. We're working hard on it every day, and constructive criticism gives us a great sense of what is most urgent for us to address in the near-term and also the direction we take further into the future. Thanks in advance! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DrGerm: Thanks for following up! I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your posts into a single thread so we can focus on the issues you're experiencing and discuss your other points without having to carrying on the same conversation in multiple places. That can get pretty confusing! :dizzy:

ONE LAST THING.... even your forums are buggy.... I created a post, it (thankfully) was saved a draft as it bugged out unexpectedly, but then when I try to post it, it will not post it because the forum post requires a 'category'.. I try to select "Windows Beta" but it WILL NOT SELECT IT and thus WILL NOT POST THE POST.... I'll try to copy and past and re-post somehow...

I'm glad to hear that you were able to recover some of your work using the forum draft feature. Regarding the category issue you described, can you tell me where you experienced that? I didn't have any trouble selecting the category here (which is where I ended up when trying to create a new discussion). You should be able to find the exact URL in your browser history. Let me know, and I'll be happy to test it and pass the information along to the developer of the forum software we use so they can squash this bug! Death by a thousand paper cuts, eh? :neutral:

The beta version will NOT allow me to edit anything. [I wish I could bold and highlight this, seriously WTF???] There is an obvious pencil and the word "Edit" but NOTHING happens. I truly want to scream... Since I cannot edit an item, if I edit the item in my version 4 app, it almost never updates within my version 6 app. This may be somewhat intended, but since you cannot do this natively in the version 6 app, that is 110% unacceptable.

Ah, I'm sorry for the confusion there. I can see why you're frustrated! The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta app currently supports editing for 1Password Accounts only; local vaults are read-only until that feature is ready for prime time. We're not willing to take any risks with our data or yours by enabling a feature that isn't yet complete.

You're probably thinking to yourself, "But I have a 1Password Account! What gives?" You're right, but only the data you've migrated there is in those vaults and can be edited using 1Password 6. When you're accessing your Dropbox vault, for example, this is stored locally on disk in AgileKeychain or OPVault format. These are supported fully by 1Password 4, but not by 1Password.com (which is not planned) or the new 1Password 6 app (which will have this in time).

No rich icons. Not functional, but they are actually really cool.

I couldn't agree more. They don't add functionality, but they do help with usability. We will absolutely be adding these in a future update! Essentially, we want 1Password for Windows to have feature parity with 1Password for Mac, so you're going to hear me say that a lot I think. We're building this app from the ground up using modern tools so that we have the flexibility to make it really shine on current systems.

I "move to trash" items, but NOTHING HAPPENS. 95% of the time. It's still there. There's a trash, but it almost always doesn't go there. In fact, I'm thinking within version 6, it NEVER goes there and what I'm seeing is only what's been deleted within the version 4 app.
    When I "Copy Item" to another vault... again... NOT A THING happens within the v6 beta app??What????
    Related to #4, it is intermittent whether if I "Copy Item" to another vault that it actually shows up in that other vault in my iOS app.
    Again related to #4. If I "Copy Item" to another vault and it acually does what I expect it to (i.e. move the item to another vault) it then disappears in my version 4 'normal version' app.

It sounds like these are all related to the earlier local vault issue. You won't be able to make any changes to these in 1Password 6. For now, the best thing to do would be to stick with 1Password 4 if you'd prefer to use Dropbox and local vaults, or move your data to your 1Password Account if you'd like to simply login to your 1Password Account to access your data on each device (without sync configuration or license management).

Now, you can certainly use both Dropbox/local vaults and (a) 1Password Account(s). I do, and a know some non-AgileBits folks do as well. But it does add a lot of complexity to the setup, especially when one of the main benefits of a 1Password subscription is not having to deal with these things. Let me know which route you'd prefer, and we can work out the details of what might work best for you.

I think the key here will be how you have things setup in 1Password for iOS. Are you using Dropbox and/or local vaults there (if so, you'll have a "Primary" vault listed in Settings > Vaults. Let me know what you find there. If that setup is working well for you, we can work to get everything else setup that way for you too.

(to be continued...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The overall appearance of the app is horrible. The borders are all janky. I have to strech the borders to incorporate the entire window. Every time I load the app, it default to the same jacked up view. Absolutely unacceptable.

Can you elaborate on the border issue you're experiencing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

I'm using Windows 10 Pro as well, so I wonder if it may be a layout bug due to some display difference between our systems (theme, scaling, etc.) since it looks the same as other apps to me — or it may just be a matter of personal preference.

Not a single of the version 4 categories exist. I don't need to explain further, if you don't know what I'm talking about then I should stop now.

It sounds like you may be referring to the legacy "Wallet" and "Accounts" categories. These are specific to the AgileKeychain format, so both OPVault and 1Password Accounts do not use these. If you're referring to something else though, be sure to let me know. Given the brevity of your comment, I hope you won't think less of me. :blush:

Related to #10. No option to copy username/password and then automatically minimize the 1password app.

That's a great suggestion! But let me ask you this: Are you asking for this because of a deficiency in using 1Password mini in the browser? I think that may be a better experience as we improve it. Let me know the specific scenario you're thinking of!

No support for Internet Explorer. Though I don't use IE. That's really BS.....

We're working to support Edge first if we can since Microsoft has discontinued IE. It may be that we can support IE in the future, but even 1Password 4's IE support is primitive due the limitations of the browser. And ultimately we needed to make some hard decisions about what features to include in 1Password 6 at the outset. It isn't possible to do everything at once and do it well, so we're focusing on the core features first in this brand new app and then building from there. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you on that front. :(

I feel like I'm living on the edge with this version, on the brink of losing all my information. Is there no "backup"?? If this Beta version breaks, am I at risk of losing all 1,000 or so items I've saved? At least in version 4, there is an "enable automatic backups" option.

While I know it's disorienting coming from the "all or nothing" of earlier versions of 1Password where a single disk failure really could mean the end of everything, with 1Password Accounts all of your data is stored remotely, securely, and redundantly on the server. So even a local failure of hardware or the app won't affect the integrity or availability of your data. Even if you yourself make a mistake and delete something you didn't mean to, you can roll back to an earlier version of an item to revert the change using 1Password.com. As someone who has suffered data loss, it brings me no end of joy to know that there's a backup plan in place, even if most folks never need it or think about it. :chuffed:

The Chrome extension is marginally workable. At least it does the most basic function, which is to input the username/password to the appropriate fields on a page, however there are no other options, i.e. to create a random password on the fly, etc. like in the version 4 iteration.

You're right. The password generator is conspicuously absent from 1Password mini, but it will make an appearance in the future update! Meanwhile, the password generator can be accessed in the main app when creating a new item. Autosave was added yesterday (I think...I forget what day it is...), so it made less sense to prioritize password generation first. But there's a great use for it now!

While I'm at it, WHY haven't you recreated the features of version 4 yet in this version 6 app before releasing it? I'm just confused.

Great question! We're building 1Password 6 from the ground up so we can do things that simply weren't technically possible with 1Password 4, and unfortunately that means starting from scratch. It was a difficult decision, because it means there's a lot 1Password 6 can't do until we make each and every feature come into being. And as I

Categories have very bland icons in the main side panel. Not functional, but it's stupid things like this that turn off the wife and kids.

Personally, I find them too small. But we're still tweaking the design, so this is something we'll take into account as we continue to refine it. Thanks for letting us know your loved ones' preference!

When you "Move and Copy..." an item within the iOS app, it deletes properties such as Favorites, and Apple Watch settings

Regarding the Favorites, this isn't an issue I'm aware of. Can you tell me the exact steps you're taking and what's happening? Please include as many details as you can (e.g. "moved from my Primary vault to Shared 1Password Account Vault", etc.) As for Apple Watch, one thing that springs to mind is that items not in the Primary vault cannot be accessed by Apple Watch, so that option will not be present. We're working to support all vaults in a future update. I'm sorry for the inconvenience there!

When you "Move and Copy..." an item to a vault, it no longer appears within the version 4 app. Which may be, sort of intended, but really not acceptable. You should have an update that fixes this in the meantime since there are people using the version 4 app on their windows machine, but the version 6 app on their iOS device.

I think this may be related to the Dropbox local vault / 1Password Account vault dichotomy I described above. If you copy an item to a vault which is not present in 1Password for iOS, it won't show up there. Let me know more about this so we can get that sorted out — though I suspect it will sort itself out once you have the same vault setup on all of your devices.

(to be continued...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In the Chrome app extension ***** DO NOT CLICK THE GEAR ICON *** you would expect to bring up settings, it DOES NOT and risks closing your browser and thus closing any work you're doing if (in this instance) writing a forum post

Ah, thank you for elaborating on your earlier comment. Do you mean that if you click the Settings "gear" icon in 1Password mini within Chrome, it closes the browser? Is Windows reporting that Chrome crashed? It isn't actually possible for an extension to tell the browser to close, so there must be something else going on there. When I click the "gear", this is what I see:

In the Chrome app extension, clicking the icon that you'd expect to change vaults, it does nothing. Maybe that's intended (it's just an icon, but looks like you should be able to do something since it's a common icon in your other apps).

Hmm. It's definitely supposed to allow you to change vaults from the dropdown menu when you click it:

So now I'm wondering something: Is the 1Password just completely non-functional for you in Chrome? These symptoms sound like something is filtering communications from the main 1Password app (which is running things behind the scenes). Do you have "security" software — or another extension — that may be interfering?

You need to put a little information as to what "TOTP" means. Not a big deal, but nobody would know.

That's a really good point! Can you tell me where you're seeing this? In both 1Password mini and the main 1Password app, I'm seeing it referred to as "One-Time Password", so there must be something we've overlooked.

I'm afraid to retry this (in fear of messing up my database) but when I try to select multiple items and "copy" the item to a vault, it doesn't do what I intend. What I INTEND is to 'MOVE' it out of my Dropbox vault to your cloud vault. Hard to explain. But, I seem to get duplicates, or nothing happens.

The "duplicates" are because after copying (from the local Dropbox vault into the 1Password Account), you have one of each item in both vaults. Moving isn't possible, since 1Password 6 cannot modify the local vault. So once you've copied all of your data to the 1Password Account, it's probably best to remove the Dropbox vault from 1Password 6 (Settings > Accounts & Vaults > (vault name) > Remove) to avoid any confusion.

I'm stopping here. I'm sorry to be a jerk, but I just need this to work. Version 4 is just fine for me, but I NEED the cloud functionality to make it feasible for a family license to work.

Hey, if everything was working the way you expected, we'd probably never hear from you. You'd be spending your time elsewhere! While I'm glad to get all of this feedback from you, I'm sorry about the circumstances (and extenuating circumstances), and we'll work to resolve these issues. Some (like the local vault stuff) will be pretty straightforward, but be sure to let me know if you have any questions about that. Others are things we'll need to address over time. But I'm heartened that (so far at least) it sounds like you'll be able to have a much better 1Password experience in short order once you have things setup the way you want them.

Thanks for listening :)

Likewise, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. Though it seems like there are some clear solutions to a lot of the frustrations you've experienced, that underlines the fact that we have a lot of work to do avoid anyone running into these sorts of problems.

I look forward to hearing back from you so we can iron out the kinks in your setup so things go more smoothly for you. Meanwhile...back to work! ;) :+1:

(the end)

• smartbit
    smartbit
    Community Member

I couldn't agree more with DrGerm: 1) the interface is horrible, 2) I can't edit my local passwords ?!?

I wanted to be a good customer and give your some feedback. I spend half an hour to install & remove the Beta (reboot, not way to stop 1password4 but to kill it, create an email + account for this forum, reinstall all 1Password4 plugins: it all adds) to I get this >_<

Please put up some download warning like 1) Yes, I'm aware this is crapware that runs in a sort of a browser, 2) Yes I'm aware that I can not use it. This can save others from wasting their time.

Until today I would recommend 1Password to friends and colleagues, for now I will stop recommending 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smartbit: I wonder if the beta you have is out of date or damaged, especially since it sounds like Windows had trouble uninstalling it. The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app is currently focused on 1Password Accounts since otherwise there isn't a native option on Windows, and of course we already have a mature app that supports local vaults. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with a beta has soured you to 1Password completely. We'll keep working to improve all of our apps for everyone who uses them.

This discussion has been closed.