Questions from a New User

Hello,

I am new to 1password, just started trying it today. I hope I am posting in the right place. Apologies in advance if I should've posted this somewhere else.

Here are some of my initial questions that I hope can be answered.

1. Is there 2 factor authentication? Or does Account Key replace it?
  2. What is the account key anyway? It seems to me to really be just a second password that's auto generated for you. Is there a difference between the master password and account key in terms of how it secures the account?
  3. I was under the impression that the account key is stored offline. However, I can access it https://my.1password.com/profile. What's up with that?
  4. What is the latest Google Chrome extension? I downloaded the 1Password 6 Beta for Windows, and it keeps reporting that my chrome extension is out of date even though I just installed it.
  5. How does the pin code on android actually work? I set a pin code but when I try to use the 1Password keyboard to auto fill, it still asks me for my Master Password. If I close the 1Password app then try to reopen it, it asks me for the Master Password too. The pin code is pretty much never used from what I can tell.
  6. For some reason, when trying to add a new item using the Windows App, the title of each textbox is editable. Is this a bug?
  7. Is there an easier way to access the random password generator other than opening the App and adding a new item?
  8. It seems to me that my.1password.com is not a domain excluded from Autosaving passwords by default. Would it would make more sense to do so since we probably don't want to save our master password?

That's all for now.

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 6.0.231d
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: Windows 10/Android
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am new to 1password, just started trying it today. I hope I am posting in the right place. Apologies in advance if I should've posted this somewhere else. Here are some of my initial questions that I hope can be answered.

@zsw007: No problem! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post to the Windows beta category of the forums since that's the version you seem to be referring to most.

Is there 2 factor authentication? Or does Account Key replace it?

The Account Key is a second factor option unique (as far as I know) to 1Password.com and is used for all 1Password Accounts. However, we're also testing Duo multifactor authentication in 1Password Teams.

What is the account key anyway? It seems to me to really be just a second password that's auto generated for you. Is there a difference between the master password and account key in terms of how it secures the account?

You hit the nail on the head! The two most important properties of the Account Key are that it is random (unlike most people's Master Passwords) and never transmitted (unlike most multifactor authentication). This way you don't have to use an unusable Master Password or receive login codes that can be intercepted. You can read more about the Account Key in our knowledgebase.

I was under the impression that the account key is stored offline. However, I can access it https://my.1password.com/profile. What's up with that?

What is the latest Google Chrome extension? I downloaded the 1Password 6 Beta for Windows, and it keeps reporting that my chrome extension is out of date even though I just installed it.

I'm sorry for the confusion! 4.5.9.90 is the latest stable 1Password extension release for Chrome, but we have a beta version which supports the new authentication scheme we'll be using going forward. You can install this from the same 1Password extension page, just by enabling betas first.

How does the pin code on android actually work? I set a pin code but when I try to use the 1Password keyboard to auto fill, it still asks me for my Master Password. If I close the 1Password app then try to reopen it, it asks me for the Master Password too. The pin code is pretty much never used from what I can tell.

The PIN is available when 1Password is running and has been unlocked using the Master Password already, for example switching between apps. However, if 1Password is closed (either by you or the OS), the Master Password will be required when you open it again, since this is needed to decrypt the data.

For some reason, when trying to add a new item using the Windows App, the title of each textbox is editable. Is this a bug?

Yes. We'll be fixing this in time. It's definitely confusing to have these fields not only editable, but tab-able as well.

Is there an easier way to access the random password generator other than opening the App and adding a new item?

Currently the password generator is only available in the main window of the new 1Password Windows desktop beta, but we'll be adding it to 1Password mini so it can be used in the browser as well in a future update.

It seems to me that my.1password.com is not a domain excluded from Autosaving passwords by default. Would it would make more sense to do so since we probably don't want to save our master password?

We really want to leave this up to the user, since there's a lot of variety in setups. For example, I have some subsidiary (for lack of a better term) 1Password Accounts for different groups I belong to and for testing. But it sounds like in your case disabling autosave for 1Password.com may be okay.

Thanks again for reaching out, and for checking out 1Password in the first place! I hope my answers were helpful. Feel free to ask any other questions or followups you might have. :)

• zsw007
    zsw007
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Hi @brenty,

Thanks for the explanation, that clears up most of my questions. However, I am still experiencing an issue when I try to use the 1Password Keyboard on Android to perform automatic filling. It would ask for my password every time, regardless of whether I have the 1Password app open or not, with or without pin enabled.

Is this an intentional design or is it a bug?

Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zsw007: Ah, thank you for telling me! I'm sorry you're having to enter the Master Password every time when the PIN is enabled. That doesn't seem normal. I was able to use my PIN to access the 1Password keyboard, both for automatic and manual filling. Can you follow the steps in this guide and make sure everything is setup properly?

1Password keyboard (Android)

Also, make sure that 1Password is actually running. As I mentioned earlier, if it isn't, you'll need to enter the Master Password when it opens. My tablet here is pretty old, so I'm often surprised by how quickly apps get killed. Let me know what you find!

• zsw007
    zsw007
    Community Member

@brenty Here are the steps I took:

1. I followed the steps in the guide to setup my keyboard.
    2. I setup the Pin Code.
    3. I switch to my Chrome tab without closing the 1Password tab.
    4. I go to a random site (e.g. Reddit) and try to login.
    5. I switch to the 1Password keyboard.
    6. I press the 1Password Icon.
    7. I get asked to enter my master password instead of my pin.

The thing is, even if I press the 1Password icon again immediately after auto filling, I would get asked to enter my master password all over again despite just having entered it a few seconds ago.

I'm running Android 6.0.1 on a Moto X Play if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zsw007: Thanks for confirming. I'm sorry you're still experiencing this odd issue!

At first I was wondering if there may be some weird interaction since I'd been testing this with various apps and your example was Chrome, but I'm able to use my PIN there as well. Please try disabling the PIN and then setting it up again to see if that helps.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

This discussion has been closed.