Can't open wife's account (nor can she.forgot password). Opened another and can't access on her mac

mikeaok
mikeaok
Community Member

I got a family account in April. I apparently created one for my wife and she has lost her password (even with the hints we can't figure it out). I tried from my computer (iMac) to create another account for her.
I went to email link invitation on her computer and went through process of opening another account with new password for the same email address. When I go to log into her account, I get the prompt for the old password. What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can't open my wife's account...lost password

Comments

• Hello @mikeaok! I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve been having with your 1Password Families account. just to clarify, did you try to sign up your wife for a separate 1Password Families account? Are you still able to access the account you created for yourself back in April?

I looked up your email address and see you are the only member of your Families account, you may find it easier to simply invite your wife to your account. It’s no extra charge, you’re welcome to have 5 members on your account including yourself, and you will have some additional tools to reset her login details if she ever forgets her Master Password or misplaces her account key. And this also prevents you from paying for multiple accounts.

You’ll still have your own Personal vaults for private logins, in addition to the option of utilizing additional vaults for sharing.

If sharing a Families account sounds like a good idea to you and you still have access to your account from April, just sign into your account, click the Family name in the top right, select the Admin Console, click Family Members, select the + sign and enter your Wife’s email to invite her to your existing team.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

• mikeaok
    mikeaok
    Community Member

Sean, thanks for responding and sorry I can't figure this out myself. I have an account and have had for several years. I think I have paid for 1Password directly through Agilebits and also through iTunes.

In April, I think I bought a Family Account and apparently set it up for my wife. I don't think she ever used it and did not keep her master password. Last week, I sent her an invite to use 1Password. I opened her email and accepted the invitation and began the process. When I went to open her "new account", the password I created for her did not work, in fact, a hint appeared for the password for her FIRST account (which she may have never used).

What I am trying to do is figure out how to get to her new account........Maybe when it promoted me to download 1Password and replace the old 1Password, I had it use the previously loaded software.

• @mikeaok Thanks for clarifying. I noticed there's a guest on your account, and it appears to be your wife. :) The reason she is getting a hint for her old password is likely because she hasn't migrated things to the new account yet. To kick things off, could you have her sign in from the browser? She can do this from https://start.1password.com/signin by entering your family sign-in address (printed on your Emergency Kit) then the email, Account Key, and Master Password for her account. The Master Password should be the new one you set up.

If she can successfully sign in there, wonderful! Does she have her old Master Password? If not, the best option would be to start over with the app then sign in to her account. If she does have it or can remember it, have her unlock 1Password, sign in, and move over her existing data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If she isn't able to access her new account, you can help her get a new Account Key and Master Password by recovering her account. Hope that helps get things rolling — let us know how you get on.

• mikeaok
    mikeaok
    Community Member

I successfully logged into her account on her iMac via https://start.1password.com/signin using the newest master password. But when I go to open the 1Password software it will not accept the "new password" but prompts for the old password (with hint) which she does not remember. I tried deleting the software for 1Password and reinstalling but still was asked for old password. She is listed on my 1Password account as a guest not a Family Member.....

• mikeaok
    mikeaok
    Community Member

I did the recovery procedure...I can log in via the internet but not the 1Password software on her iMac

• mikeaok
    mikeaok
    Community Member

I finally figured it out...I needed to delete her old trial account...on her computer and reinstall.

• @mikeaok Glad to hear you got it sorted out! :) If you have any other questions just let us know.

This discussion has been closed.