Browser Extension 4.5.6 won't fill disabled fields

Options
pinskerj
pinskerj
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello, the Mac safari extension v4.5.9 introduces some bugs. A new "feature" is it won't fill fields that are disabled. However some websites require a checkbox to enable login fields. This can be seen at:

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage and press login

Formerly I could have 1password check that box to enable the fields, and then it will fill. Now I have to do it twice, the first run through enables the fields by checking the box, but 1password doesn't see that and refuses to fill the username and password. A second run through then fills the fields.

Can this new "feature" not filling disabled fields be turned off? Everything works fine in 4.5.8.

Thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @pinskerj,

We'll have to consider this carefully. While I can see why filling twice has the potential to be frustrating we also have reports where filling has resulted in 1Password filling disabled fields that can then not be undone by the user because the fields are disabled. Of the two the latter seems worse to me. We do want to make 1Password as intelligent as we can though.

Now saying that I'm seeing somewhat different behaviour after saving a test Login item and trying to fill. As the check to see if a field is disabled is a runtime check and the checkbox is the first item filled, being the first input item on the page, the other two fields are enabled once the extension attempts to fill them. I had a little trouble with the password field as it seems the site might be using two fields layered on top of each other but with a small edit to the Login item everything indicates that the checkbox and two fields were all successfully filled from one fill instruction. Of course I can't easily test this as I'm not about to cause a failed login attempt on a site like that.

The first test is to see what you happens if you create a new Login item by following the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser. For testing you will probably want to turn submit after filling off either just for this Login item (the submit option becomes visible when you edit the Login item inside of 1Password) or temporarily via the general 1Password preference in the Browsers tab. After saving a new Login item and with no changes to the data stored in the web for details filling would tick the checkbox and then fill in the username, seemingly leaving the password unfilled. What I then noticed though was there are multiple fields stored in the Login item under the web form details section. One of those fields is titled password-clear and stored the text DS Logon Password. If I deleted the text (it's important to leave the field) and saved then when I tried filling a freshly loaded copy of the login page it ticked the checkbox and then filled both fields.

I was testing 1Password for Mac 6.3.2 with Vivaldi. It may be we're seeing a difference in version or browser and I'll happily see what happens with a different configuration if this is the case.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @pinskerj,

I hope you don't mind, I've altered the title of your query just in case others are experiencing the same thing. Hopefully they will find this thread if others do come looking.

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member
    Options

Doing this to create a completely new fresh entry manually from the filled in fields on the website, and then clearing the text of the "password-clear" field but leaving that field in the entry, worked perfectly. Now it fills perfectly each time on the first try. Thank you so much.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear that helped, @pinskerj! On Lil Bobby's behalf, you're most welcome. If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again. We're always here to help.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.