Should I save my 1Password sign-in info in 1Password itself?

Options

Using Chrome with 1password exension, when I go to my 1password sign-in address and enter my Master Password, 1password then asks me if I want to save a new login. This seems circular. I can't wrap my head around this. Would it be bad security practice to save this login info in 1password iteself, so that I could sign in to 1password using command-backslash? So far I keep hitting "not now." If this is a security problem, then it should not be possible, right?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:save sign-in address info?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@khudari: Great question! It sounds like you're referring to logging into 1Password.com; if so, to 1Password, this is "just" another login form (to some extent), and as far as 1Password is concerned, its job is to save these! But if this is driving you nuts, just click the "gear" icon and choose "never" so 1Password will stop prompting you.

This is kind of a philosophical question, and there's really no clear answer, especially since different people have different needs in this type of scenario. Ultimately, though, the question of security is pretty much nullified, because if you save your the Master Password you use to unlock your 1Password Account in your 1Password Account, that same Master Password is needed to gain access to the Master Password saved there.

If you only have a single 1Password Account, that's pretty much where it ends for you, and the rest of this will be irrelevant. But for folks who have multiple 1Password Accounts (and multiple Master Passwords), it can be useful to save the "subsidiary" 1Password Accounts in the "main" one, whose 1Password is memorized and used regularly.

I hope that helps make some sense of a possible use case for this. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• khudari
    khudari
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I realize now that it is not a security problem. However, since I do only have one 1password account, I figure there is no benefit to saving the Master Password this way. That is, it will never save any typing or any remembering. Thanks for the tip about choosing "never!"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're totally welcome! Even if it's not a security problem, I agree that it's a bit of a brain-knot to think of saving the password for 1Password in 1Password. Cheers! ;)

This discussion has been closed.