Windows Hello, improvement requests

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Feature requests for Windows v6 app (Sept 2016).

Comments

• Saxphile
    Saxphile
    Community Member

Is it possible to add Windows Hello to 1Password v6? I really like having it in the UWP version.

Also I'd like to see Password Generator make a return.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016

@Saxphile: Thanks for reaching out! I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion since your post didn't pertain vaults or notes.

The password generator is present in the main 1Password app when creating/editing a login, but we'll be bringing it to 1Password mini so it can be accessed in the browser as well in a future update.

As for Windows Hello, it's definitely something we'd like to add to the desktop app, but given it needs to support Windows 7 and 8.1 (and not just 10), it's a bit tricky there. Hopefully we'll be able to add that in a future version though. And while the Windows Store (UWP) version (which does support Windows Hello) is lagging a bit behind currently, we'll be updating that as well to bring it in line with the desktop app as it matures.

Thanks for letting us know these features are important to you, and be sure to share any other comments, questions, or suggestions you might have! :)

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member

What is the difference between the Windows Store version and 1P6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brandscill: Good question! Right now, kind of a lot. The Windows Store (UWP) version is a bit behind, as it faces some technical limitations at present. We're working to update it, and the plan is for them to be as close as possible, but right now we're focused on the desktop app since it can be used on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. Otherwise, the main differences today are browser integration is only available in the desktop app, and Windows Hello is only available in the universal app. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Brothernod
    Brothernod
    Community Member

I would also like to chime in for Windows Hello support.

I know it's a very new and fairly niche feature, BUT the more you can remove password usage from users, the more likely they are to actually use the product and be secure.

I'm trying to get family and less tech savvy friends started with 1password, and on the iPhone the experience is quite good (except for the handful of times it randomly needs the master password instead of a fingerprint), but i'm concerned that it will be hard to convince the people I know to enter the master password everytime they want it to auto-populate another password.

This is especially impactful since the Best Practices dictate that you do not let browsers cache passwords.

I would love to get the people I care about following best practices for their own good, but realistically that's unlikely the more inconvenient it is. I'm hoping Windows Hello will be a big step forward in user friendliness.

Regarding Win7/8/10, having features that take advantage of specific editions of the OS, as a superset, I would think would not be a big problem. If people specifically chose to stay with older, less secure versions of their desktop OS I don't think it's wrong for them to also not have the full and most secure version of your product. As in I don't think it looks bad to have win10 specific features, especially when they're pro user experience and security.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @Brothernod,

Windows Hello is definitely something we want to add to 1Password 6, the desktop version. The Windows Store version already have some limited support for Windows Hello, it only works after you open 1Password and stops when you explicitly terminates it.

We want to support it but we need to set aside some time first to make sure it is safe to use in 1Password. We love the iOS implementation because it uses the Secure Enclave that protects your secrets with custom hardware that is not easily accessible. The problem on Windows, there isn't any universal support like all computers with Windows 10 have TPM and that means we have to store a version of your master password somewhere on the drive for Windows Hello to use when unlocking. I'm sure Microsoft has done a through security review already but we rather not risk it until we do our own review and yes, unfortunately, it is taking longer than usual. We want to focus on 1Password 6's core stuff first.

• Brothernod
    Brothernod
    Community Member

Understandable, just want to hear that it is being evaluated and chime in on it being important to me to have eventually.

• We definitely appreciate you letting us know, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.