VPN recommendations (Windows, iOS, etc.)

2»

Comments

• cwanja
    cwanja
    Community Member

@prime I have been using that one for about five or six months and it works flawlessly. Have had no issues with it, no DNS or IP leaks. While their simple client is a bit dated, using the OpenVPN client they recommend brings it up.

• areeb.khan
    areeb.khan
    Community Member

I use a company called HideIPVPN. I have been using them for a while and haven't really had any speed issues. I have the global package and occasionally I will switch server to get a quicker connection but its not a bad bet.

I wish Cloak did a Windows version - I can't afford to pay for Cloak and a Windows VPN service concurrently.

• I use Cloak on the occasion that I need a VPN. I've been very happy with them. Convenient. But as areeb.khan alluded to I don't think they have an application for Windows, and I'm not sure there is a way to configure their service on that platform.

Ben

• karlegas
    karlegas
    Community Member

All the VPN services mentioned here are free or dubious reputation, I think you must pay for a good VPN service like Private Internet Access or Torguard, main features is they don't keep log of your users also they have several locations in many countries or offer OPENVPN the best and more secure protocol.

• adrian12345
    adrian12345
    Community Member

Pretty happy with PIA here. They have a ton of servers so the download speed is practically the same connected as when disconnected, and I find their prices competitive compared to most other vpns. Finally, I think the ui is very intuitive while still offering a broad range of encryption options for the especially-paranoid. The only downside is they don't seem to be interested in offering a variety of ports for accessing Netflix from different countries.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

All the VPN services mentioned here are free or dubious reputation, I think you must pay for a good VPN service like Private Internet Access or Torguard, main features is they don't keep log of your users also they have several locations in many countries or offer OPENVPN the best and more secure protocol.

@karlegas: All of the VPNs I use, which I mentioned earlier, are paid services. I haven't had a negative experience with them, or I wouldn't have gone out of my way to mention them by name (since that's a tacit endorsement). They serve my needs well enough. Thanks for charing your own preferred services though! :)

The only downside is they don't seem to be interested in offering a variety of ports for accessing Netflix from different countries.

@adrian12345: I didn't mention this earlier because I thought it was kind of beyond the scope of this discussion, but you're right that those types of proxy services serve a similar (if less security-focused) function. I picked up GetFlix a while back, and so far it's worked the few times I've used it. I might have a lot of opportunities coming up while traveling though. If so, I'll report back here.

• jenniferhudson
    jenniferhudson
    Community Member

PureVPN is good if speed and security are your main goals, I have found them to be the fastest. They have 288 servers in US and 300+ around the world. Their windows software and iPad app is absolutely awesome. They keep no logs.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Happy Cloak (iOS) user here (with an OpenVPN server running on my ASUS router as a backup). I love that it automatically turns on when connecting to networks I have not marked as trusted (unfortunately there is a big bug in iOS 9 that only Apple itself can solve which makes the service sometimes even turn on on trusted networks, but Cloak took care of customers by temporarily increasing the limit of 5 GB to 1 TB for Mini plan users!).

For those looking for lifetime licenses: StackSocial regularly offers such deals for VPN services (from other vendors).

You probably won't find Cloak there though, since they -like Agile Bits- want recurring revenue for recurring costs, which seems very reasonable for a VPN service.

• gilbertcfarley
    gilbertcfarley
    Community Member

I think OneVPN is way better than the others VPN's, they are offering all of these features along with additional free features like Ad-Blocker, Anti-Malware, Speed booster, NAT firewall. Plus, there packages are appealing too as there 4 years subscription is $1/month

• I personally use Private Internet Access, and for AgileBits things I use Cloak. They've both been great, and PIA is quite affordable. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I ended up with Torguard. Some guys at work also uses them and so far I'm happy. After a year I might look into others and see. Just looked at Purevpn and they might be one I look into some more.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016

:) :+1:

I love that it automatically turns on when connecting to networks I have not marked as trusted (unfortunately there is a big bug in iOS 9 that only Apple itself can solve which makes the service sometimes even turn on on trusted networks,

@XIII: Drives me crazy too! :lol:

• peterkendrick
    peterkendrick
    Community Member

Might I add, before using any VPN always check whether they are leaking your DNS and IP address? You can check them @ whatismyip and DNS leak test websites on google. DNS leak happens when an unencrypted is passes out of VPN tunnel revealing your original IP and other network details.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@peterkendrick: might depend on your use case. I use a VPN to stay safe at untrusted wireless networks; not to stay anonymous.

https://blog.getcloak.com/2011/11/30/word-anonymity/
    https://blog.getcloak.com/2015/03/30/security-privacy-anonymity/

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2016

Drives me crazy too!

I thought it was just me! Good to know that there is actually a bug that may some day get fixed. :)

might depend on your use case. I use a VPN to stay safe at untrusted wireless networks; not to stay anonymous.

Same.

Ben

• peterkendrick
    peterkendrick
    Community Member

@peterkendrick: might depend on your use case. I use a VPN to stay safe at untrusted wireless networks; not to stay anonymous.

Thank you for sharing these informative articles @XIII, my requirement from a VPN is privacy because of research I do for writing and I don't think I can achieve that without being anonymous.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I think the point of the blog posts is that a VPN (any VPN) is not a way to actually stay anonymous.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member

Another thumbs up for for Private Internet Access. I have used PIA for a few years now. It has always worked perfectly on my Macs when it was working, but during earlier years it seemed to drop out a lot and the tech assistants offered long lists of possible adjustments to the settings that "might" make it more stable. The recent updated versions seem to be much more stable. Since spring, 2016 I have been able to use the default settings with no connection dropouts at all.

PIA always checks out fine on the internet sites that detect DNS and IPv6 leaks. PIA also has many server sites in other countries, which is a big help when I want to stream video like CBC or BBC that is blocked in the US.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience! :) :+1:

• nikkiraeg
    nikkiraeg
    Community Member

Well telling one specific VPN is difficult. How much have you researched on it? I believe if security is your concern than you should know the fact that some providers keep log of your activity and I take that as a breach in personal activity and security. You need to compare providers so look this and choose the one which you find best
    http://www.bestvpn.guide/most-secure-vpn/

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member

Thanks all. THis thread has now ended as I have all the information I will ever need on this.
    Malcolm

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed! Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.