New user - guidance please

Good morning Toronto -

Having spent all this week evaluating many password managers I think I like 1PW the best, but I have some questions please :

1. My wife & I will use the same account on a subscription basis & share the same vault for all our individual & joint records (we have no secrets) so can we sign up for a single user account & share that across PC`s & Android devices between us?
  2. If we are using & sharing a single person account - does it have all the same functionality of a family account, if not what are the differences
  3. Two of our devices are Android 4.x - can we use the single user account app on these (I see the family account needs Android 5.x)
  4. If we need a family account is there a way of having 1PW on Android 4.x
  5. In addition to the PC Chrome extension our PC`s & Android apps, is it possible to access our accounts on the web i.e. lost phone & in an emergency need to get at our information at a hotel, friends home, internet café?

Thank you very much for your help in assisting me to understand your product.

Teddy in the French Alpes

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:account

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited May 2018

Hi @tv1pw,

Good morning! Thanks for your interest in 1Password!

My wife & I will use the same account on a subscription basis & share the same vault for all our individual & joint records (we have no secrets) so can we sign up for a single user account & share that across PC`s & Android devices between us?

While that is technically possible, it would not be the intended use.

If we are using & sharing a single person account - does it have all the same functionality of a family account, if not what are the differences

The main difference is that individual accounts cannot have anyone else added to them (without first upgrading to a family account). This also means there is no guest functionality. Guests can be very handy. One example I like to use for them is for a house sitter. They certainly don't need access to all of your items, but it might be handy to be able to easily share the WiFi password, door access code, a note about what to do if the power goes out, etc etc. There are other potential uses as well, but that seems to be a common example that applies to most folks.

Two of our devices are Android 4.x - can we use the single user account app on these (I see the family account needs Android 5.x)

Android 5.0 or higher is required to use any 1Password.com accounts. I've filed an issue with our website team to see if they can clarify this.

In addition to the PC Chrome extension our PC`s & Android apps, is it possible to access our accounts on the web i.e. lost phone & in an emergency need to get at our information at a hotel, friends home, internet café?

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that it is never a good idea to login to any accounts (but especially your 1Password account) from a device you can't trust. That includes any device that isn't yours.

If you were to lose access to all of your devices somehow, your best course of action would be to acquire a new device and access from there.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: b5site-165

• tv1pwtv1pw
    edited September 2016

Hey Ben -

Thank you very much for your fast & helpful response.

This gives me the confidence to change from mSecure to 1PW. I have studied the competition in detail this week & downloaded two of them on my PC & Android, LastPass & Dashlane - have been disappointed with the limitations of both.

1PW seems to have every thing we need & the flexibility. I still have a lot to learn about what it can do, but one thing I love is the ability to have tags, so I can tag my work entries, wife's, mine, or shared & segregate & view them separately them easily. The others either don't have this facility, or it is very clunky.

If you can let me know about the Android 4.x compatibility I would be very grateful. I will be upgrading to a Galaxy Note 7 when their battery problems can be relied on again.

I have just downloaded 1PW from the Playstore, but have not opened it yet, & it didn't say it wasn't incompatible, which normaly it says if it is incompatible with a device.

I am running Android 4.4.2 - can I open it & try, if so I will create a trial account. Otherwise I'm pretty stuck until I have a compatible device.

Many thanks, appreciated - Teddy

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hey Teddy,

Thanks for the update! I think you may have missed part of my reply:

Android 5.0 or higher is required to use any 1Password.com accounts. I've filed an issue with our website team to see if they can clarify this.

Sorry about that. You'd need to upgrade to Android 5 in order to take advantage. Android 4.4+ can use our standalone app, but cannot use our 1Password.com services, unfortunately.

but one thing I love is the ability to have tags, so I can tag my work entries, wife [...]

This can also be achieved with multiple vaults. That is likely the approach I'd recommend.

Ben

• Oh bugger ! (UK English inoffensive expression)

OK - I`ll download on my PC to get used to using it there & then when I upgrade my phone get the all syncing / dancing version on my phone.

Thanks for your advice Ben, appreciated

Teddy

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're most welcome Teddy! Sorry we weren't able to support 1Password accounts on Android 4.x but hopefully you'll find the upgrade to be worth while. :)

Ben

• tv1pwtv1pw
    edited September 2016

Hey Ben -

I have now read on the forums that this is a possible solution : That I use 1Password 4 for the short term, syncing it with my Dropbox so that my wife`s & my devices can sync with the desktop.

Then, when I upgrade to Android 6.x eta March 2017 (my wife is already on 5.x anyway) then we migrate to 1PW6

I`ve read that it is a bit of a pain migrating as not everything transfers over & there is a fair bit of manual copy / paste etc.

You didn`t suggest this option. What do you think?

Or should I stay with mSecure, which is very basic but does the job & then in the Spring set-up on 1PW6 from scratch?

The second option would save a very manual migration from mSecure > 1PW4 & then a second migration in the spring from 1PW4 > 1PW6.

I have got to say, with all the research I have done 1PW6 is streets ahead of the competition. The reviews I have read don`t seem to appreciate the differences - I have loaded & used two leading competitors this week (LastPass & DashLane) & am surprised at some very obvious drawbacks & missing functionality - I cannot wait to migrate over to you guys. For me price is not an issue, I just want a good well thought out product from a company that is constantly developing & gives great support.

Thanks for your advice Ben.

Best, Teddy

• khadkhad Social Choreographer

Team Member

@tv1pw,

First of all, thanks for your very kind words about 1Password (and our support). I've shared them with the whole team here. :chuffed:

It's really up to you if you wanted to wait and only migrate once (from your current solution to 1Password), or if you wanted to migrate now and then again to 1Password 6.

The migration on Windows from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6 is pretty seamless, though:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/?win

The biggest caveat at the moment is that attachments are not imported. So you'd want to keep your original 1Password 4 vault if it contained any attachments. (You could also just not add any attachments until after you make the switch.)

When sign up for a 1Password account, let me know. A 1Password 4 license key is not sent automatically, but I would be happy to send one to you if you have an active 1Password subscription. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.