Dropbox forced me to change my password. Now I can't sync 1Password because it stored to old one.

sthiemann
sthiemann
Community Member

I use dropbox to sync my vault between Mac, Windows, & Android. Dropbox forced me to change my password. How do I tell 1password about the new password it has to use for dropbox sync going forward?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Dropbox forced me to change my password. Now I can't sync 1Password because it stored to old one.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sthiemann,

Thanks for asking about this.

Changing your Dropbox password shouldn't affect 1Password since you have already authenticated with Dropbox. Are you actually having some trouble, or were you just trying to be proactive before you had trouble?

If you're having trouble:

• Can you let me know which platform(s)? Mac, Windows, iOS, Android?
    • What is the exact error you are seeing?
    • What happens when you simply set up syncing with Dropbox as usual?
  • sthiemann
    sthiemann
    Community Member

You are correct. I tried the sync on my android devices right after the Dropbox password change, and the sync failed a couple of attempts. On day 2 and beyond, everything is working again though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Khad, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• mvucovich
    mvucovich
    Community Member

My dropbox password is different on my local machine than my 1 password app. Whenever I try to sync it says 'sync complete no downloads found'. But there is clearly a discrepency between the two accounts and only the one on the mac is correct. Android device; this problem just started as far as I know. Please advise

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016

My dropbox password is different on my local machine than my 1 password app.

@mvucovich: I'm not sure I understand. Your Dropbox account only has a single password. Did you change it? Others here have said so, but since you didn't mention it I don't want to make any assumptions. Let me know!

• mvucovich
    mvucovich
    Community Member

So I did change it at some point and it has updated on my local computer (so I go to
    'reveal' on my local computer and see the correct pw and can log in on my local browser via 1password). However the new password has not synced to my app (ie if I go to 'reveal' for that account, it shows the old password and if I copy/paste the pw to log it it will fail). I've never had this problem before. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

@mvucovich: I'm really sorry for the trouble! It seems like there may be some confusion (perhaps mine alone) since there are a few very similar things involved here:

• Dropbox password: the actual (current) password to your Dropbox account
    • Dropbox login: the username and password saved in 1Password...for Dropbox
    • Dropbox sync: connection to Dropbox in each of the 1Password apps

This part of your description is unclear to me:

So I did change it at some point and it has updated on my local computer (so I go to 'reveal' on my local computer and see the correct pw and can log in on my local browser via 1password).

and

However the new password has not synced to my app (ie if I go to 'reveal' for that account, it shows the old password and if I copy/paste the pw to log it it will fail).

Between the two of these, it sounds like you are simultaneously able to and unable to login to the Dropbox website using 1Password. Since both can't be true:

1. Are you referring to two different devices here?
    2. Are you talking about using the 1Password extension in your browser to login to dropbox.com, or something else entirely?
    3. If you create a test item in 1Password (say, a new Secure Note), does it sync between all of your devices?

Let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you!

This discussion has been closed.