Chrome extention is empty

jramskov
jramskov
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Trying to include a member of the family. It's not going well :( She's got a windows laptop with Windows 10 (fully updated, including latest .NET) and using Chrome as her primary browser. I installed 1Password for windows and the chrome extention and I have gotten it to save some login items (they are in the windows app), but the Chrome extention is completely blank. Searching in all vaults provides nothing, choosing the personal vault (where the login items are stored) and it shows nothing. I've tried to reinstall the extention but no luck.
She's also using an Android smartphone (see other thread I created), but it's on Android 4.4.4 which isn't supported.
Yes, I guess I should've checked for all that before I started what I thought was going to be 20 min. and done, but I must say I expected Windows 10 and chrome support to have been fully implemented long ago.

Am I frustrated? Yeah, slightly...

1Password Version: 6 beta
Extension Version: 6.00.245d
OS Version: Windows 10 (fully updated)
Sync Type: family subscription

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @jramskov,

Can you check the URL of the saved Login items in the main 1Password window, does it match against the URL of the site's login page?

Right now, 1Password mini will not show all items, it only show items that matches the domain and searching is limited to found items, it is not going to search for all items. If you want to search the database, you can press Control + \ twice to switch to the database search.

For 1Password mini to show the items, you must be on the site's login page first before invoking 1Password mini to fill.

All of this will be improved for sure but it is not going to be a quick fix, we're making progress weekly but it is going to be a while before 1Password 6 Beta matches the feature set of 1Password 4 for Windows or 1Password 6 for Mac.

• Hi @jramskov,

Just an FYI, I've moved your thread to our Windows Beta forum since it is related to 1Password 6 Beta.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

I haven't got access to the machine currently, but it sounds like I made the correct choice in making her continue to use True Key for now.

• I understand. We do apologize that 1Password 6 Beta for Windows isn't yet there for your family.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Just a FYI. I haven't forgotten about this, it has just been a few busy days, so haven't had time to respond. I certainly want to get this 1Password to work and while I don't have daily access to the windows machine I tried setting up this past weekend, I do have a Windows machine running in a VM on my own Macbook, so I can test it there instead. I rarely use that Windows VM, but I'll try installing it there and see how it goes.

• Please do, @jramskov,

We'll be standing by with any help we can offer.

Cheers,

Alex

• Hi @jramshov,

I want to mention one thing, we've shipped an update that will load all items by default after unlocking 1Password mini now and in the latest update, we've shipped the first iteration of the password generator for 1Password mini, which will get more design changes very soon.

We're still working on making it smarter to filter to the site you're on when you unlock 1Password mini, so it can fill automatically or show you the list of matching Login items. For now, you do have to unlock, dismiss and open 1Password again to see that list.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Okay, running a Windows 10 VM in VirtualBox on my Macbook. I have just installed Chrome, installed the beta Windows client and logged in using my family account. I then installed the beta Chrome browser extension from the Chrome webshop.
    I first thought it didn't work at all, but then I loaded another site in the browser and I was able to use it to login. That was odd I thought and had a look in the Windows app and noticed it had only sync'ed 4 items?!

• @jramskov,

Thanks for sending in the information via email. We'll continue the conversation there.

Cheers,

Alex

ref:DWC-86625-854

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

@AlexHoffmann huh? Via email? I haven't sent anything through email?

• Hi @jramskov,

We apologize about that, Alex selected the wrong tab to reply and it was meant for a different thread.

You said 1Password 6 Beta only had 4 items, can you confirm that if you sign in to your 1Password account on the 1Password.com web site, it shows more than 4 items?

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

No, I can't >_<
    I was certain that I had transferred all my items to a family account, but apparently only the items I moved to a shared vault has been tranferred. Is that how it's supposed to be?

• Hi @jramskov,

I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds like the issue goes back to how the data was migrated into the account. Let's take a step back, how did you originally move the data to the shared vault?

All data in all vaults are automatically sync'ed, there's no selective vault sync option.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

I don't remember, I signed up for a families account when you launched it, so it's been months :)

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @jramskov,

Do you recall what you were using before you joined our 1Password.com Families; were you still using 1Password at the time or a different tool?

Could you have any backups from that time?

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

I used 1Password, synced through Dropbox.

• Hi @jramskov,

Do you still have that .agilekeychain/.opvault file via Dropbox? 1Password 6 can open that file as read-only vault and you can then migrate it to your Personal vault stored in the 1Password.com account.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Yeah, got that one still. I found another way to transfer it though by using the share option in the OS X app. Everything is now moved to my personal vault in my families account.
    I tested it out on the Windows 10 VM I got running and it works, though not all the time. I tried to logon to a site that uses Disqus for comments and that wasn't possible with the Chrome extension.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @jramskov,

That's great news, I'm glad you got it working there now. Let us know if you have any other issues with 1Password 6 Beta.

Disqus is a weird one, sometime it opens up in a limited window that doesn't give 1Password the URL information to find the right item to fill. If you right-click into the login form for Disqus and select 1Password, does 1Password mini pop up with an item for you to fill?

If you log in on Disqus.com instead, it should work to remain logged in for other sites.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

It is likely the limited window thing that it is used on various sites. I don't recall it being a problem on Firefox here on OS X though?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jramskov: It really depends on the browser mainly, but some sites will flat-out serve different pages based on the user agent, so the OS can indirectly be a factor as well. Obviously you can't easily get the URL of the popup itself in these cases, but if you can give us the URL of the page that reads to it and any other relevant steps, we'll be happy to investigate further to see if there's something we can do to to make 1Password more usable in these situations. With the new 1Password Windows desktop app though, a big part of that will be just improving 1Password mini to make it easier to work around situations where 1Password is limited by the way a site is coded. We love a challenge though. :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Example link: http://flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1475855765
    Scroll down to the comments section and click login/disqus and you get a popup: https://disqus.com/next/login/?forum=flatpanelshd#!auth:start

• Hi @jramskov,

I've just tried that, no problem using the Control + \ shortcut to select my item to fill when it opened up the popup. I'm using Chrome 53 (64-bit ) on Windows 10.

Did you check to see if it works on filling on the main disqus.com site? It could be something else.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Yeah, I might need to test that on another machine, I'm running in a VM on a Macbook, can't find that keyboard shortcut mapping and it doesn't seem like it's possible change to a different shortcut :blush:

• Hi @jramskov,

Which VM software are you using? If Parallels, you can go to its Preferences > Shortcuts to add a custom shortcut for Control + \ or Control + Alt + \.

You can also right-click on the Disqus page to select 1Password to bring up 1Password mini, this works too.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

I'm using VirtualBox. Right-click worked, thanks. It's certainly looking a lot better than a week ago when I first tried :+1:

Is there a roadmap for the Windows app and Chrome plugin?

• MikeT
    edited October 2016

Hi @jramskov,

The next update coming soon will have some nice improvements, it will show you the Login items right away after unlocking 1Password mini and a polished Password Generator for the 1Password mini.

As for the roadmap, we don't have a public one but the first goal is to get the first stable update out soon for our 1Password.com customers and keep improving 1Password weekly. There's a long list of improvements planned just for 1Password mini; adding support for credit card/identity filling, adding item's details viewer/item editor, category views and so much more.

If there's something you'd like to "vote" on for the next feature you want in 1Password 6 for Windows, let us know.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Sounds good to me. I just want it to be an as close as possible replica of the MacOS version :+1: I must admit that I was suprised it wasn't available already as Windows isn't exactly a new OS :)

Anyway, it sounds like I can soon move the family member to 1Password. A quick confirmation question: Even though I/we have a family account, the family member using an Android 4.4.4 device (not supported by 1Passsword families) can simply use 1Password "the old way"?

• Hi @jramskov,

I must admit that I was suprised it wasn't available already as Windows isn't exactly a new OS :)

1Password 6 for Windows is a new codebase, we had most of this available on Windows for a long time via 1Password 4 for Windows. The other platforms didn't have to do a new one, they were able to rebuild/iterate the existing codebase to support the new 1Password.com subscription (also relatively young for us), we couldn't with the much older codebase in 1Password 4. macOS and iOS uses a unified codebase and has the largest engineering team because that's where we started out from.

Even though I/we have a family account, the family member using an Android 4.4.4 device (not supported by 1Passsword families) can simply use 1Password "the old way"?

If you're syncing via Dropbox, you can still use it yes but you have to manually migrate any changes to your 1Password account.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Thanks, This is a new account that needs to be migrated from Intel's True Key software, but since she uses an Android 4.4.4 device, it's not possible to use a family account there.

This discussion has been closed.