To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I export data from vaults in my 1password.com account

Options
buddyw
buddyw
Community Member

Short version:
How do I export data from vaults in my paid 1password.com account in any open/spec'd format 1pif/csv/whatever?

Long version:
I signed up for a 1password account a few months ago for a service to bridge credential storage on ios and android devices and went through the work of importing all of my data. Everything is working ok, except now that I need to backup my passwords I'm finding that there isn't any way to do it due to subtle feature gaps in the various 1password products. I know the 1password service is a backup itself, but placing that much trust in any single system is foolish. No offline backup is a complete deal breaker for me.

I've been working on this for days now, and I'm getting really frustrated at this point. Here's what I have available to me:
2 ios devices running 1password for ios 6.4.5
1 android device running 1password 6.4.1
1 linux PC with wine running 1password for windows 4.0.6.604
chromebook
1 windows VM (created solely for this task) running 1password for windows 4.0.6.604 and 1password 6.0.245d (beta)
I do not own a mac

I have tried 1password for ios, android, the website for my account, v4 for Windows (no 1password account access), and 6 beta for windows (no export). As far as I can tell none of these products will let you connect to a 1password account vault and export the data. Where export is possible, it's only with local or synced vaults, and there's no way to get the data into these vaults.

I even created a dropbox account and created vaults (both types), but none of the products above appear to be able to move the records from the 1password account vault into the local or synced vaults.

If I have to rebuild hundreds of password entries one at a time, I'm going to be livid. I'm guessing by the looks of it that reverse engineering js/json calls to my.1password.com/api/v1/ to get the data, while much more interesting than password data entry, is going to be a huge pain in the rear if you guys have done your jobs properly.

I really hope I've missed something obvious here. Please help me get me data back.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• buddyw
    buddyw
    Community Member
    Options

After a day of extensivly mapping the functionality of the various products, I think I found a workflow to get my data back and ensure that I don't miss anything, but it's really ugly:

Part A: add a synced vault to iOS (along with 1 password account)
    1.) create a new vault on 1 password 4 for windows
    2.) copy the vault to dropbox
    3.) add the dropbox sync'd vault on an iOS device sync'd with your 1password account

Part B: create an export vault
    1.) login to the my.1password.com webpage and create an export vault.
    (This will allow you to copy vaults in batches and then move the copied records ensuring none are missed in the export and that the original vaults aren't accidentally altered.)

Part C: Move batches:
    1.) open 1Password 6 beta for windows and go to the vault you want to export
    2.) right-click on a password record and -> select all
    3.) right click and "copy to" the Export vault that you created in Part B. (oh if only we could copy directly to the dropbox sync'd vault)
    4.) go back to your ios device and open the export vault
    5.) open each individual record and move to... the dropbox sync'd vault created in Part A. (that's ~6 or so gestures/clicks times 100's of records)
    6.) After you move each individual record you can create a backup of the dropbox safe in settings and sync to a PC with itunes.
    7.) delete all records from the dropbox sync'd database in iPassword for windows and start over with the next safe.

This will take me a very long time to complete and it's definitely not a backup solution.

I'm giving up for the weekend. Hopefully I have missed something obvious somewhere and there's an easier way around this mess.

• Hi @buddyw! Welcome to our forum, and thanks for posting about this. :) I'd be happy to help out.

How do I export data from vaults in my paid 1password.com account in any open/spec'd format 1pif/csv/whatever?

True export, right now, is only possible in 1Password for Mac. We're hoping to add it to 1Password 6 for Windows soon, which will allow you to make a backup copy of things if you'd like.

The more broad topic you're touching on here is local backups. We do back up everything automatically on the server as you mentioned, but that isn't enough for some folks, which is okay. We'd like to make a local backup solution at some point which would allow you to have an encrypted copy of things locally, then restore them if you need. I'll let the team know you're interested in that as well. :)

Thanks again for the feedback!

ref: OPM-3967

• buddyw
    buddyw
    Community Member
    Options

I agree that regular local backups would ideally be fully encrypted and easy to perform. The lack of any export from the system makes me nervous about lock-in, and the lack of either export or local backup makes me downright claustrophobic.

• I can understand that from a different perspective. You're welcome to keep using 1Password without an account for now. When we have something better, we'll be sure to let you know.

• buddyw
    buddyw
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that's of kind of my problem. I've already been using the 1password account for months and my data is trapped there now. That is the root issue. I haven't found a way transfer back to "without an account". The only options I've found are:

A.) move each individual password record with my iphone in the convoluted process described above to a new dropbox sync'd opvault or
    B.) go back and manually update the last few months changes to the database on my previous password application.

Both of those options are going to be time consuming, tedious and unpleasant. I don't mean to be overly dramatic, but based on your last response I want to make sure that I'm clear and you understand my situation before I spend the time doing this the hard way.

• @buddyw Thanks for the details. I do understand the situation, and I wish I had better news but right now we don't have an export option in 1Password for Windows. I'm going to speak with the team about it and see if we can get that bumped up the list as it is an important feature. I'm sorry we don't have something better for you to move out of an account right now.

This discussion has been closed.