Does 1Password work on a Chromebook / Chrome OS?

fatschwaby
fatschwaby
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Lounge

I am 100% Chromebook / Android phone. Please tell me 1password works with Chrome OS. I can't seem to figure it out.

AgileBits update: 1Password X is now available for Chrome!

Get to know 1Password X

Cheers! :) :+1:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome os

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fatschwaby,

At this time, there is no app for 1Password specifically designed for Chromebooks. However, if your Chromebook has enabled support for the Google Play Store, you can use 1Password for Android on your Chromebook.

We're pretty excited that Google has made Google Play Store integration an option for Chromebooks and we look forward to seeing how we can make use of this in the future!

There is another option for using 1Password on your Chromebook. Have you heard about 1Password accounts? With a 1Password account you have access to your data via a web view, so you can always view your data, even if 1Password is not installed on the computer you’re using.

• rochak
    rochak
    Community Member

@Megan However, if your Chromebook has enabled support for the Google Play Store, you can use 1Password for Android on your Chromebook.

Can you expand on this more. I have google play store on my chromebook and I installed 1password. however, how do I get it to autofill on the browser? In android - 1password works by having its own keyboard (unlike iOS or Mac), I can't get that working on my chrombook (asus flip)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rochak: 1Password for Android does not have filling support on ChromeOS. 1Password for Android is still very much an Android app and not ChromeOS-aware, but it's something we're exploring. Personally, I'm excited to see what Google announces today. It would be really cool if they go all the way and merge Android and ChromeOS. :)

• rochak
    rochak
    Community Member

Yeah andromeda for the win!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Fingers crossed. ;)

• darktears
    darktears
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Though technically why you couldn't do a Chrome Extension which talks directly to https://my.1password.com/vaults for example for those using your services and not vaults hosted in some other services such as OneDrive/Dropbox/iCloud?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@darktears: Indeed. We may be able to, and we might. But building a brand new standalone extension (it would be significantly more complex, since it would be independent and not be able to rely on the 1Password app) would be a significant undertaking, and not something we could offer in the short term. Definitely an interesting possibility though. :)

• syng
    syng
    Community Member

As a Chromebook user, this is a deal breaker. I've been using Lastpass which has a fully functioning standalone extension that works perfectly but I wanted to try 1Password after hearing about the family plan but I guess I have to go back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that, but it's definitely best to use the tool that meets your needs. We'd rather have you use another password manager than none at all.

• dweiser
    dweiser
    Community Member

My new and first Chromebook arrives tomorrow. I've used 1Password on my iMacs, Macbook Pros, and all my iOS devices for years and have been happy with it. I absolutely need to know how to access my Login Passwords in 1Password from the Chrome browser on the Chromebook. If there isn't a way, please make a way available soon. This could hinder your sales of 1Password as Chromebooks become more popular. Thank you.

• evrgrn
    evrgrn
    Community Member

Dweiser, see comments above. The short answer is you can only cleanly access your 1Password data if you subscribe to Agilebits' monthly service which is a bummer because it is another charge for a customer. I say that because I am tired of paying for all kinds of monthly subscription charges. It all adds up to a lot of money each year.

I am in the same boat as you. I use a Chromebook, a Mac laptop and a Windows desktop PC. My personal solution is keeping my phone with me when I use my Chromebook or PC. 1Password is installed on my iPhone. It is not as easy as having the app directly installed on your computer but it works. Although a bit inconvenient it is in my opinion a forced secure option. I hope Agilebits reconsiders building a Chrome OS app since Google is such a big player in the technology world.

• dweiser
    dweiser
    Community Member

Thanks evrgrn for your reply. I'm assuming the Copy and Paste of a password won't work between my iPhone and a Chromebook? O.K., AgileBits, I know you're a good company and easy to deal with - some of us need to be able to access our encrypted 1Passwords from our Chromebooks - kindly provide a way.

• dweiser
    dweiser
    Community Member

As I said, Chrome is my web browser and I've been letting it remember my browser web site's passwords so it looks like 1Password compatibility isn't an issue after all. Chrome has remembered my Passwords and fills them in so I can access sites including iCloud (and thus my iCloud email)!! Here's how to tun that feature on.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/manage-view-saved-passwords-chrome

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@evrgrn: The subscription is only a single payment each month/year, and while it's a good deal for individuals since it includes all of the apps and the web interface, 1Password Families is an even better deal for, well...a family. lol

@dweiser: As mentioned above, 1Password.com works in a modern browser on any platform. And if Google ever figures out what they're doing with ChromeOS/Android/Andromeda, we may be able to do something interesting there. Only time will tell. :)

• dweiser
    dweiser
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty, I am a family of one (if you don't count the two cats).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, I would never tell the cats they don't count. They'd never believe me anyway. ;)

• rochak
    rochak
    Community Member

Is there an end date for when 1Password will be available on chrome books

Sorry to say but it's hard to accept that you have a working Apple Watch app over a chrome book app even though an Apple Watch app is much less of a necessity than a chrome book

Also google has extended google play store apps to many chrome books now

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rochak: 1Password for Apple Watch is an extension of our iOS app, so it's not out of our way, and a far bit less work than a brand new ChromeOS-native app. And based on sales, I'm not sure it's an Apple to apples comparison. The possibilities of Android and ChromeOS are interesting, and perhaps that's something we can leverage in the future.

• 3l3phant
    3l3phant
    Community Member

@brenty - "And based on sales, I'm not sure it's an Apple to apples comparison." I see what you did there ... :)

I'm intrigued by the thought of using a Chromebook as my primary device and so I'm giving my MacBook Air to my wife. Going to be interesting to see how I can best use my beloved 1password on the new toy!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

;)

You're braver than I am! Not saying it can't be done, but I'd have to change the way I'm used to doing a lot of my daily tasks in order to switch to a new platform. I do, however, enjoy playing — rather unproductively — with new devices, and I'd be interested to hear how it goes! :)

• cliffkujala
    cliffkujala
    Community Member

I'll throw my hat in here as another person that wants to see a native Chrome OS extension with the ability to directly access the vaults for 1Password Families and Teams.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, cliffkujala! :+1:

• Tracy
    Tracy
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

For what its worth, I think Agilebits is not giving this Chromebook issue serious enough consideration or attention. Think about it for Families. I have 3 kids for example. I can't afford to buy each a MB when Chromebooks for each will do all they need for school and entertainment for the price of one MB. So while I respect Agilebits only wanting to do it once and can kicking on the basis Google might change their approach of Chrome OS someday so lets do nothing, this is a current concern for a lot of families I imagine. Sure you have 1Password web access option on Chrome OS, but autofill is what KIDS need. You can't expect them to juggle a phone or website and still use secure passwords.

I already think $60 a year rich for a family plan. I also don't need to or want to pay for a web server when I have a more secure iCloud (IMO) and the somewhat secure (at rest) Google Drive. These are things I was trying to see past to continue with 1Password. But now this lack of Chrome OS functionality and no plan to address it may be the last straw. IDK maybe Agilebits just decided they are happy with family market share based on the minority of families who can afford MBs for 5. It is less work for them that way. Maybe Families is just an afterthought stemming from Teams that that isn't a large enough market for Agilebits to prioritize Family needs more.

So after a good many years with 1Password, I'm thinking of bailing due to incomplete family management. LastPass may be better for average Family situations like mine even though they don't target their product this way. Its disappointing. Agilebits has tried with the Family Plan and I want to use 1Password, but each release I read the notes and think "why do that?", "How was that a priority" and "if only this were emphasized.." Family is a good idea but I've been watching since Family came out and it just isn't complete or compelling to me today.

But before I go and do something drastic like change camps, I'd appreciate any comments on what 1 password features the community thinks I'd miss out on with LastPass or comments on UE / UI LastPass weaknesses. I heard LastPass is harder to use in some ways and would appreciate others thoughts on it. Also, how do others manage a family with a single one password account perhaps. You know, one account just for shared passwords (kids on honor systems and theirs shared) might be all I need for example.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tracy: We're not "doing nothing"; rather, we have existing commitments to other platforms that are filling up our plates for now. So even if we weren't considering ChromeOS and Linux (among others) for the future, we're simply not in a position to do anything about it right now. Also, a lot of families and businesses share computers (modern OSes have great multi user support), rather than buying Macs/PCs for everyone, so the characterization that we don't care about families because we aren't building a brand new app for Chromebooks seems misplaced.

I can't really speak to others' products, so you'd need to reach out to them for more information. And I guess I'm having trouble understanding why the introduction of 1Password Families has changed things for you, when the apps are the same, just with additional capabilities over time. Certainly it would be nice if 1Password magically worked on each new platform you choose to adopt, but anything we put resources into — especially development, testing, and support on another OS — means diverting from something else. Hopefully we'll be able to expand more in the future, but it's not worthwhile to do so if it means offering something below the standard you and other users would expect — and deserve.

• Tracy
    Tracy
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty for the response.

My do nothing assessment was taken from other comments here regarding Chrome OS here. An extension is not being pursued currently so no action is do nothing regarding Chrome OS extension rather than do nothing at all. Granted you guys are not sitting idle. It is a prioritization led "do nothing regarding Chrome OS". Perhaps I should have said the same concept through nicer semantics of "wait and see" or "possible future development".

You are right, I am no worse off today password tracking capability wise with my single 1Password instance than I was several years ago. But my family has aged making the possibility of sharing more important to me. It could be I'm enlightened to see the possibilities now more than the typical user. I hadn't thought of that or of the idea that outfitting each kid with even a mere Chromebook could be more than typical. Guess I just fall in the camp of emphasizing the P in PC. I can see now where Families would work better in fewer, but supported, devices, multiple login environment than my vision for my Family network.

I think Agilebits cares much more about Families more than most password software creators. I just think you currently care less about, and prioritize lower, the Families product than Teams or standalone 1Password. Teams seems to be getting by far the most attention over the last 18 months. And the prioritization even makes sense to me. Families is a pretty small subset of 1Password users really and your resources are constrained. So its an observation, not a critique. I note my issues would be solved pretty easy if I ponied up the money for Teams and several MBs or Win machines like your target business clients. I just miss the days when Agilebits focus was on individuals vs business.

So after some thought, I think I see why you are taking the approach you are. But I point out that Chrome OS is quickly becoming the standard for young people and schools. I think it will "graduate" in importance with this generation of users over time and deserves your attention today. I also take from this my situation is maybe more unique than i thought so any solution for me short of Teams will be a workaround of sorts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @brenty for the response.

@Tracy: You're welcome! I just wish I could grant your wish. It just isn't in the cards for us right now, and I want to be upfront about that rather than stringing you or anyone else along.

My do nothing assessment was taken from other comments here regarding Chrome OS here. An extension is not being pursued currently so no action is do nothing regarding Chrome OS extension rather than do nothing at all. Granted you guys are not sitting idle. It is a prioritization led "do nothing regarding Chrome OS". Perhaps I should have said the same concept through nicer semantics of "wait and see" or "possible future development".

Ah, semantics: the cause of and solution to all of life's problems! Indeed, that makes sense. And certainly if ChromeOS is at the top of your list, it could certainly feel like we're doing nothing since it isn't at the top of ours. That's totally fair.

You are right, I am no worse off today password tracking capability wise with my single 1Password instance than I was several years ago. But my family has aged making the possibility of sharing more important to me. It could be I'm enlightened to see the possibilities now more than the typical user. I hadn't thought of that or of the idea that outfitting each kid with even a mere Chromebook could be more than typical. Guess I just fall in the camp of emphasizing the P in PC. I can see now where Families would work better in fewer, but supported, devices, multiple login environment than my vision for my Family network.

I think we'd all love to have separate personal (with a capital P) computers for each family member. I'm not sure it's something we can take for granted yet, as the "personal" devices that the majority of folks have are phones, many of them still not "smart". But I think if ChromeOS really takes off you may be absolutely right about where things are going. (Un)fortunately it's still pretty early. (I hedge that because early is good for us since we're in no position to execute on a new platform currently, but for your needs this is already a problem.)

I think Agilebits cares much more about Families more than most password software creators. I just think you currently care less about, and prioritize lower, the Families product than Teams or standalone 1Password. Teams seems to be getting by far the most attention over the last 18 months. And the prioritization even makes sense to me. Families is a pretty small subset of 1Password users really and your resources are constrained. So its an observation, not a critique. I note my issues would be solved pretty easy if I ponied up the money for Teams and several MBs or Win machines like your target business clients. I just miss the days when Agilebits focus was on individuals vs business.

Hmm. I think it's really a matter of perspective. 1Password Teams Pro users get some really cool advanced features that others don't get, but most of these aren't remotely interesting to families (or are downright abhorrent, due to complexity). And of course they pay for them, and would love to get the kind of deal that families do. We definitely hear from a lot of businesses that we're not doing enough for them in favour of consumers.

At the same time, we hear from standalone license customers that we're neglecting them since 1Password.com isn't available to them at all. And yet 1Password Families and individual subscribers (there's a lot of overlap and switching here) tell us they want better controls for dependents but we're spending too much time on the apps or businesses.

I think that all of these things are true, depending only on the day. Certainly we're not perfect at balancing everything, and I'm not sure it's possible to give equal treatment to everyone given how different the needs are, both across these "groups" and in individual cases. But we're always striving to strike a good balance.

So the issue seems to be that we're not willing to drop the others in favour of one and give one group our full attention. Unless we do that, there will always be folks in each group that feel like we're not giving them our full attention, because we aren't. And perhaps that wouldn't change even if we did. But we believe fundamentally that 1Password can be a great tool for anyone. It wont be a perfect fit, probably for any single person, but we're committed to offering a tool to help as many people as possible stay safe online without pulling all of their hair out. I wasn't always a 1Password user myself. It may be too late for me in that regard, but I sleep better now at least. :lol:

Fortunately, no matter which group you belong to, you benefit from the work we're doing on the 1Password apps. So in this context, ChromeOS just hasn't "bubbled up" to find a niche in 1Password's "most people" Venn diagram. Perhaps it will in the future.

So after some thought, I think I see why you are taking the approach you are. But I point out that Chrome OS is quickly becoming the standard for young people and schools. I think it will "graduate" in importance with this generation of users over time and deserves your attention today. I also take from this my situation is maybe more unique than i thought so any solution for me short of Teams will be a workaround of sorts.

I think you will probably either be proven right, or "almost but not quite", perhaps as an accident of history. If a generation of kids grows up with Chromebooks, it's inevitable that the landscape will look very different in 10 years than it does today. I just wonder if computers themselves won't just sort of vanish for most people within that time frame. Or perhaps Chromebooks go away but ChromeOS takes some other form. It's just too early to call it, and I think that Google epitomizes this with some of their strategic moves with their OSes.

It seems like you may have a bit of an early adopter streak, and while that can be incredibly exciting, it can also be pretty painful while these sorts of things hash themselves out. I'm sorry that we don't have a cure for you now, but 1Password.com can at least provide some relief. :blush:

• Dog2puppy
    Dog2puppy
    Community Member

I would also like a chrome app!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dog2puppy: Thanks for letting us know! Honestly I think it may be more feasible to use a standalone Chrome extension (rather than an app). If we can find a way to get all of 1Password's saving and filling logic in there (currently most of it resides in the main 1Password app), then a standalone extension would help folks both on ChromeOS, Linux, and other places where an app cannot be used. I can't promise this will happen, but it would certainly be nice. :)

• Dog2puppy
    Dog2puppy
    Community Member

@brenty Okay. Thanks for the reply!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.