Bug: Edits not saved (and no resume edit button available) when selecting a different item

Options
jadeorchard
jadeorchard
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

New user here; I'm using a teams account that we recently purchased and am trialing the service for our business.

One issue that I've come across is particularly troublesome. I've not found reports of this specific issue on the forums, though the problem does fall into a general category of issues/concerns/confusion that many of your users run into—missing edits to items in their vaults. — Specifically for me, I am losing all edits to cards in the Mac app if I click away from that item.

To Reproduce:
1) (Using a vault from a team account) Select an item and choose edit (via the button at lower right of UI, Menu item, or KB shortcut)
2) Make any change(s) you like.
3) Click on another item in in the list to the left.
NOTE THAT: The previously selected item with edits in process is replaced with the details of the newly selected item.
4) Click on the first item.
NOTE THAT: The edits you made in step 2 are missing. There is no "resume editing" button.

Comments/Questions:
A. If, after step 2, you press the escape keyboard key, you are prompted with a modal alerting you to unsaved changes:

Do you want to save the changes you made?
Your changes will be lost if you don't save them.

This seems to imply that editing (and saving items in a team vault behaves differently than for local vaults (with the resume editing feature). Is that so?

B. In this comment, Khad mentions:

It sounds like you might greatly benefit from 1Password for Teams for a variety of reasons, not least of which is because it has versioning for items (thought it is not currently exposed in the UI)

I'll join the cadre of other users who have pressed for versioning in place of the "resume editing" functionality as being a much better approach, and am glad to hear this is in the works. Is my issue related? Is there any way I can see the revisions currently? Is there a way to work-around or prevent this data loss at present?

Thanks,
David

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.3 (633001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: 10.10.5 (14F1912)
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jadeorchard

We meet again ;) Thank you for taking the time to write these detailed reports, we appreciate it!

This seems to imply that editing (and saving items in a team vault behaves differently than for local vaults (with the resume editing feature). Is that so?

You are correct, right now there's no pending changes support for accounts. I think that while this is the case we should at least show the message when switching to other elements and not only when pressing "esc".

Is my issue related?

Not exactly, this talks about changes that were saved.

Is there a way to work-around or prevent this data loss at present?

Unfortunately, right now there's no workaround to prevent losing changes that were not saved :( I hope to see something in place for this some day.

Thank you for your interest and questions about 1Password, keep in mind that we work every day to make it better and to implement what you all want to see. If you stay around you'll probably be happily surprised with what comes along :chuffed:

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have a Team account, but the unsaved edit problem affects me as well.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Oxon,

Pending changes for items in any type of 1Password.com account (Individual/Family/Team) will not be saved. Please let us know if you're having that issue with items in local (non-account) vaults and we'll investigate further. Thanks!

ref: OPM-4082, OPM-4399

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. No I have individual account vaults so I guess I'll just have to be careful.

Kent

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming. We'll see what we can do to improve this. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.