Last Used Date

Options
CalfeeRider
CalfeeRider
Community Member

This is already requested by at least one other forum member. I share his pain. Many retail businesses contract with banks for credit card services. The cards typically are VISA or MasterCard accounts that actually can be used anywhere, but the business must pay a bank some fee to get a custom design on the card so that it LOOKS as though it's designed specifically for that business. In many cases, if one logs into the business's website, then look at one's account status, that generates a jump to a separate website that hosts the credit card information.

Macys is a great example. During the time I've done business with them they must have changed contracting banks for their credit card half a dozen times, and sometimes the URL for the account management website contains no real clues as to who it belongs to. (It may actually be worse in the instances where the URL does let the user know what it's for, because then once the business contracts with a different bank for its credit cards, I may keep trying to log in using the no longer functional URL.

Knowing that a login entry hasn't been modified for six years doesn't tell me that its not been USED for six years, so I have lots of these "useless debris" entries in my 1Password database.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CalfeeRider

Thank you for taking some time to let us know what you'd like to see in 1Password. What you suggest is a pretty interesting idea, however there are some things that might be a bit complicated about it. How would you define "use" an item? Is it opening it to see it? Is it only using go and fill? Or any kind of copy within it? I would like to hear your thoughts about this :chuffed:

Meanwhile, I'd like to remind you that you can always add labels or other identifiers to your items that will help you know what your item was created for. You can write something like "Card for Macys" and any other identifier that helps you.

I hope to hear your thoughts about all this :chuffed:

• CalfeeRider
    CalfeeRider
    Community Member
    Options

My sense is that "using an item would have to be more than just looking at it, because sometimes when I autosave login credentials I neglect to modify the entry's title. For example, I have a username and password for something called "accountholder.net" that's not been used in the 6 years subsequent to its creation. I just tried using it. Turns out the login is still valid, but even then I haven't a clue what it's for, but by the time I've discovered that it's useless I can easily decide that I no longer need it.

On the other hand, I might accumulate a half dozen entries that have "Macy's" in their name, and if I see that one hasn't been used since 2012 and another has been used quite a bit recently, it's clear that the latter is the one I want to save. Another enhancement, if possible, would be feedback from the target site that 1Password could log indicating whether the login attempt was successful or not. I have no idea whether that's possible or not.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CalfeeRider,

Have you checked the sorting options in the main 1Password app? At the top of the item list (right below the 'Search' field) you can see how that list is currently sorted. Click on that to see a list of the other sorting options - one of them should be 'Date Last Used'. Is that what you're asking for?

I may have misunderstood your request, but wanted to mention that sort option in case it helps. Cheers! :)

• CalfeeRider
    CalfeeRider
    Community Member
    Options

What constitutes "use?" Actually having the item carry out its intended purpose? Just viewing the item? Viewing and editing the item?

Thanks a bunch. I wasn't aware of that being built into 1 PW already.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CalfeeRider: "Date Last Used" will reflect editing or filling in the browser. Just keep in mind that 1Password isn't continually scanning and updating the list (that would waste a lot of energy), so there may be some delay before an item you just used shoots to the top of that list. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.