My new Master Password does not work any more.

Options

I'm using windows 10 and I'm using 1Password version 4.???????? (can't check version because cannot open it). I tried went to change my password because I noticed that my master password for my desktop login for 1Password was my extremely long Account Key. I do not know how that happened since my online login was my master password phrase. I changed the master password in the application assuming that it would update my master password in my 1Password application in my Chrome browse as well as in my 1Password online account. After creating the password, I wrote the password down on a piece of paper. I then logged out and logged back in using the new password. Now, about twenty minutes later I am not able to log back into my account using the laptop desktop icon and I am not able to log into my 1Password extension in my Chrome browser. However, before I did all of this I was already logged into my online support page; I'm afraid to sign out as I'm fearful i will not be able to get back in.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My new master password does not work.

Comments

• carly_britton
    carly_britton
    Community Member
    Options

Our Windows 10 users in our office are all having the same issue. They are currently unable to access their accounts at all. Any suggestions, or workarounds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• AlexHoffmann
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hey @mpoconnor and @carly_britton,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with 1Password 6. We're going to get this fixed with you but I have a few questions to get us on the right track.

1. When you first signed into your 1Password account in 1Password 6 you were asked for the login credentials, including your master password. Did that work correctly?
    2. You changed the master password in 1Password 6, locked the app and then logged back in using the new master password you set, is that right? When you change the master password in the application, it is not changed in your account itself; there's a warning about this in the app: master password change warning
    3. Can you please try to log into your account on https://1password.com with the master password you chose when you signed up for the account? Does this work?

Thanks,

Alex

• carly_britton
    carly_britton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. We have now resolved the issue in-house. Basically the issue was when you change the master password on the web login it did not auto change it for the desktop app. We had to go into the settings and unlink it from the web and reset the password form the app also. It is working fine now. Thanks Carly

• That's great news, @carly_britton, thanks for letting us know.
    We are going to improve this behaviour in the future and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused.

• carly_britton
    carly_britton
    Community Member
    Options

Great thanks Alex

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carly_britton: On behalf of AlexHoffmann you are very welcome! Please contact us anytime if you have other questions, we are here for you. :)

• mpoconnor
    mpoconnor
    Community Member
    Options

Alex, thanks for your reply. I am not using 1Password 6 rather I remember it saying it is version four point something. I cannot log into it at the moment so I cannot be more precise. To answer your questions, when I first logged into the application ON MY COMPUTER, it had the Account Key as my login password. I was expecting the login password to be my Master Password or something more convenient than the long Account Key. I note that as for my ONLINE ACCOUNT (at 1Password.com) I only need to type in my Master Password since my email address and Account Key are automatically entered for me. I assume (but I do not know) that the 1Password application on my computer is suppose to be set up for me to log in with my Master Password instead of the Account Key, is this understanding correct?

Because of the above login discrepancy I attempted to change the password ON MY COMPUTER from my Account Key to my Master Password and in trying to do this I changed the Master Password ON MY COMPUTER. I assumed this change would automatically change the Master Password at 1Password.com but it did not since I note that to login to 1Password.com I still need to use the original Master Password. To further complicate the matter I tried to login back into the desktop application of 1Password (ON MY COMPUTER) and cannot do so. I have tried numerous times using the original and new Master Passwords.

My goal is to set up both my online account (at 1Password.com) and my 1Password desktop application to use the the same Master Password to log in, not the Account Key, which is the way my desktop application was originally set up. Also, I prefer to choose a new Master Password.

• Thank you for this explanation, @mpoconnor, now everything makes sense!
    If you could see me sitting here, you'd have experienced an almost comical "Aaaaah!" moment as I realised what is going on.

First of all let me apologise for the confusion and potential frustration the setup process must've caused. If I'm understanding everything correctly, you downloaded 1Password 4, which only works with local vaults and not with your 1Password.com account.

With that said, i think we can get you fixed up fairly easily.

Please go to https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/?win and follow the instructions in the Windows section to download and install 1Password 6 and to set it up with your account. Once you've done that, we'll take another look at 1Password 4, if you've already stored information in it.

Cheers,

Alex

• mpoconnor
    mpoconnor
    Community Member
    Options

Alex, if you saying the problem is 1Password 4 is for only "local" vaults then how does downloading the newer version of a local vault help? Also, if you are saying that 1Password 6 is a "non-local" vault, then why does that help? When do I use a "local" vault and when should I use a "non-local" vault?

• Hey @mpoconnor,

The newer version is a completely reworked application, built specifically for use with 1Password.com accounts.
    We refer to the 1Password vaults that you use in 1Password 4 for Windows as "local vaults" because they're first and foremost local databases that can optionally be synchronised using Dropbox or WLAN.
    1Password.com accounts have an online component from the get go.

Go ahead, follow the instructions and we'll have you up and running in no-time.

Cheers!

• mpoconnor
    mpoconnor
    Community Member
    Options

Alex,
    I uninstalled 1Password 4, then downloaded and installed 1Password 6. Now when I click on 1Password in my Chrome browser it now says "no suitable items found....."; what am I doing wrong?

• You're not doing anything wrong necessarily.
    Have you successfully logged into your 1Password.com account in 1Password 6?
    Are all the items you expect in the application?

• mpoconnor
    mpoconnor
    Community Member
    Options

It appears that i do not need to login to 1Password 6 Beta as it just opens up when I click on the icon. When it opens up I see "All Vaults", "All Items", "Secure Notes" and "Trash. Off to the right I see "New Item", "Copy", "Sort" and "Secure Note" ; nothing else appears. Can you tell from this whether or not I have "all the items"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It appears that i do not need to login to 1Password 6 Beta as it just opens up when I click on the icon. When it opens up I see "All Vaults", "All Items", "Secure Notes" and "Trash. Off to the right I see "New Item", "Copy", "Sort" and "Secure Note" ; nothing else appears. Can you tell from this whether or not I have "all the items"?

@mpoconnor: It's impossible for us to ascertain that since we don't (and shouldn't) have access to your data. However, you should be able to verify this:

1. Open the main 1Password 6 app and unlock to show the contents in All Vaults
    2. Login to 1Password.com in your browser and view All Vaults
    3. Compare the two

It sounds like you're saying that there is no data in the main 1Password 6 app though. If so, make sure you login to your 1Password Account:

Setup 1Password 6

If, however, you don't have any data in your 1Password Account yet, be sure to copy over any data from your original vault:

Migrate from 1Password 4

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• mpoconnor
    mpoconnor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your assistance Brenty. If I compare my 1Password.com account to my 1Password 6 Beta they look completely different. Online I only see "Personal" and "New Vault", so to answer Alex's question I don't know if I have "all of the items". Also, I am not certain what type of items Alex is referring to. I did not think he was referring to my data since I had mentioned I uninstalled 1Password4; so I did not migrate from that application. As a side note, I did not need to save any data as I had that application on my computer for only a day or so and did not care about the one or two passwords it contained, if any. So, I've assumed Alex's referene to "all of the items" was referring to the application features such as the trash can, secure notes, etc., which by the way, these features appear to be missing from my 1Password.com account or I don't know where to find them.

• AlexHoffmann
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hey @mpoconnor,

It seems we're missing something and it's causing more confusion instead of clearing things up.
    We'd like to get a better sense as to what is on your devices and which services they're using.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• AlexHoffmann
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @mpoconnor,

We've received your email and will respond as soon as possible.

Cheers!

ref: JKC-73329-211

This discussion has been closed.