Having trouble setting up 1Password Families

smitter
smitter
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Families

I have set up 1Password for Families on 2 different iPhones, my iPad, and my laptop. Now I'm trying to set up my wife's laptop on Mac OS X. For some reason when I launch 1Password 6 it keeps asking me to log in. But I have removed every trace of 1Password on this computer, so I'm not sure what its asking me to log into?

I simply want the screen that asks me to log into 1Password for Families using the QR Code or Manual data entry. But I can't get there. Its completely stuck in a single user mode.

I can launch Preferences > Accounts, but the "+" button at bottom of the screen is greyed out. Why?

So ... going back to the basics, why is this so hard? What do I need to do to install 1Password for Families on this computer. I seem to remember having a similar problem with my laptop a long time ago, and having spent hours trying to fix. Don't remember what I did. Only seems to be a problem on a machine with a previous single user install.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• smitter
    smitter
    Community Member

Quick update. I managed to fix the problem. Seems my wife had set up a password for her single user install on the computer. I finally figured out this password, and was then able to go to Preferences > Accounts and click the "+" button to add the 1Password for Families account.

So the part that was overly difficult, was that somewhere in the bowels of her computer was a stored password for 1Password Single User. Even though I searched for both "1Password" and "Agilebits" I couldn't find this reference/file/setting. So that was hard.

In any case, because of this I also was not able to add the 1Password for Families account as the "+" button was greyed out. Not sure why that was the case?

This setup is way easier on iPhone and iPad. As they reference to a 1Password for Families account is front and center. On the desktop its sort of buried. Maybe you can fix?

Love your products. You guys do a great job. Just saying, this was quite a bit harder than it should have been. Hope it helps.

• Hi @smitter! I'm sorry for the trouble setting up your family account. The reason you didn't get prompted immediately is because 1Password was already set up on that computer, as you mentioned, by your wife. That meant it was locked with her Master Password. You can start over and set up the app again, but we try to hide the option to remove 1Password's data on the computer so people don't do it by mistake, but if you do need it in the future and would prefer not to look in the Library folder, there's an easier way:

How to start over with an empty vault

I would recommend migrating any existing data that computer has to your new account as well since your wife did use 1Password before. If there's nothing of use in there, you can delete the old Primary vault by choosing 1Password -> Delete Vault from the menu bar and move on to just using an account.

Glad to hear things worked out for you. :) If you have any other questions just let us know.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

I'd also say that the guide https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/ isn't exactly up to date. There's no mention of the account key. Before starting, it would also be nice to know what the system requirements are for using families.

• @jramskov Thanks for mentioning that. The Account Key isn't discussed there because you don't need it — the QR code is all you need. :) It fill in the sign-in address, email, and Account Key for you. System requirements aren't quite the type of thing a getting started article should include, which is why we put them in an article of their own:

System requirements for 1Password

Hope that helps!

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Hi @Jacob. That's certainly not the impression I got yesterday when I tried setting up a new user for my family subscription. I clearly didn't prepare well enough before I started because if I did, I had dropped it. Shame on me for not checking the system requirements.
    I changed to a family subscription because I thought it would be great to move my wife and family to 1Password. That was some time ago and I simply hadn't gotten around to setting up the other family members until yesterday. Here's my experience:
    1) As the administrator of the family subscription, I first had to invite another person. I looked around in the app, first on my iPhone and next on my Macbook, because I thought for sure it would be possible to invite another family member there? That didn't seem to be the case, so...
    2) Had to login to the admin website. That wasn't exactly flawless either since 1Password isn't able to automatically login to it's own website...I recall having mentioned that here on the forum previously, but I thought it would be working by now?
    3) Sent an invite and it arrived right away. As I recall it, it loaded a website with that users Account Key and made it clear that it should be saved. If it isn't needed, why is it displayed at all then?
    4) I decided to setup the Android phone first, because of the QR code being there. Great, that should be nice and easy, except for the fact that it is running Android 4.4.4, which isn't supported.
    5) I then continue with the Windows 10 laptop. I install the Windows app and next the Chrome browser extension. I manage to get it to register some login items, others not (okay, it happens), but when I want to login to anything, it draws a blank. It looks like the browser extention knows no login items at all even though it has just saved them (I can see them in the Windows app). I have written about this in another post here on the forum.

As I have also written in another post, I ended up dropping 1Password as it seems it simply isn't usable currently unless you're using IOS or MacOS. I must say I'm disappointed that Windows + Chrome support isn't working.

• Jacob
    edited October 2016

@jramskov Thanks for posting those details. I'm very sorry our documentation made you feel that way. I'd be happy to continue discussing your experience with 1Password Families and help make it better where possible.

As the administrator of the family subscription, I first had to invite another person. I looked around in the app, first on my iPhone and next on my Macbook, because I thought for sure it would be possible to invite another family member there?

We'd like to add invites to the apps in the future to streamline things. Right now, we do recommend using 1Password.com

Had to login to the admin website. That wasn't exactly flawless either since 1Password isn't able to automatically login to it's own website...I recall having mentioned that here on the forum previously, but I thought it would be working by now?

1Password will help you sign in like any other website once you've signed in. It should ask to save your login details initially, and the Account Key is saved in your browser so you can sign in easily using just your Master Password. The Account Key is also stored in 1Password automatically and you can copy/paste it if you need to use it in a new browser. :)

Sent an invite and it arrived right away. As I recall it, it loaded a website with that users Account Key and made it clear that it should be saved. If it isn't needed, why is it displayed at all then?

I'm sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean the Account Key is never necessary, but rather that it isn't necessary to sign in to the apps if you have already signed in from a browser. The browser stores it, and you can sign in there with your Master Password as I mentioned above, then head to the Get the Apps page and scan your QR code to fill the details into the app automatically:

Each member of your family gets an Account Key and needs to set up a unique Master Password. These work together to protect their account.

I decided to setup the Android phone first, because of the QR code being there. Great, that should be nice and easy, except for the fact that it is running Android 4.4.4, which isn't supported.

I see you brought this up in another thread so I'm going to keep the answer to it there as well.

I then continue with the Windows 10 laptop. I install the Windows app and next the Chrome browser extension. I manage to get it to register some login items, others not (okay, it happens), but when I want to login to anything, it draws a blank. It looks like the browser extention knows no login items at all even though it has just saved them (I can see them in the Windows app). I have written about this in another post here on the forum.

That is quite obscure. I saw your other thread about this and it seems things didn't get resolved. I would be happy to help sort out the issue if you're up for it. It sounds like you've moved on at this point, and I don't want to spend any more of your time if you've decided 1Password isn't going to work for you.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

We'd like to add invites to the apps in the future to streamline things. Right now, we do recommend using 1Password.com

Sounds good!

1Password will help you sign in like any other website once you've signed in. It should ask to save your login details initially, and the Account Key is saved in your browser so you can sign in easily using just your Master Password. The Account Key is also stored in 1Password automatically and you can copy/paste it if you need to use it in a new browser. :)

Something must be wrong with my saved data then, because that's certainly not what happened here. I guess I should try to re-create that item.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean the Account Key is never necessary, but rather that it isn't necessary to sign in to the apps if you have already signed in from a browser. The browser stores it, and you can sign in there with your Master Password as I mentioned above, then head to the Get the Apps page and scan your QR code to fill the details into the app automatically:

Not sure I understand that completely. The browser stores the Account Key? How?

That is quite obscure. I saw your other thread about this and it seems things didn't get resolved. I would be happy to help sort out the issue if you're up for it. It sounds like you've moved on at this point, and I don't want to spend any more of your time if you've decided 1Password isn't going to work for you.

I guess we should handle that issue in the other thread. I certainly want to get 1Password working on Windows.

Ps. Thanks for the prompt response and help, it's much appreciated and part of the reason why I quite like 1Password.

• Jacob
    edited October 2016

@jramskov I would recommend saving that Login item once more. Let us know if it still has issues afterward.

Not sure I understand that completely. The browser stores the Account Key? How?

It's saved, lightly obfuscated, in the browser's local storage automatically so you don't need to type it each time you want to sign in, and so you can access your account with just your Master Password in that browser in case the Account Key is lost. You can prevent it from being stored by checking "This is a public or shared computer" when signing in initially.

I guess we should handle that issue in the other thread. I certainly want to get 1Password working on Windows.

Let's do that. :) We would love to help you get it working.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Ahh...I found the cause :blush:

The steps I performed:
    1) Load 1password.com in Firefox
    2) Click sign in.
    3) Enter login details - it filled out my email and the password, but not the account key.
    4) I filled in the account key manually and clicked sign in. "This is a public or shared computer" is NOT checked.
    5) Login fails.

Thing is, the url it redirects me to is "https://my.1password.com/signin/". To be able to login, I need to load my admin url https://.1password.com/signin/.

What's the https://my.1password.com/signin/ url for since it doesn't work?

• @jramskov Oh that makes sense. You do need to be using your unique sign-in address with a family or team account. my.1password.com is for individual accounts. At the bottom of the page there's a "Have a family or team account?" button that will ask for your sign-in address in that case. :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

That's where it fails for me, it can't fill in the "Enter the sign-in address for your 1Password account."

• @jramskov Okay, let's try something a bit different. Head to https://start.1password.com/signin and enter your sign-in address, then it will open your sign-in page. You can bookmark that, or save a Login item there and it can be used to fill it later on. Does that work?

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Yeah, that works, but that's not really what I'm asking for. I wonder why 1Password can't save my sign-in address and auto-login with that. Instead it posts my email address.

• @jramskov I'm sorry there's still some confusion about this. Let's move the conversation to email so we can chat about your actual sign-in address (which I don't want to share here since it's a public forum) and work things out. Please send us a message at support@1password.com and post back here with the BitBot confirmation number you receive so we can connect the two conversations. :) We'll talk to you soon!

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

RWZ-66432-595

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jramskov

We've received your email, we'll continue the conversation over there. Someone will be in touch with you soon :chuffed:

ref: RWZ-66432-595

This discussion has been closed.