New Apple Watch app

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Subscription service.

Comments

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

The latest Beta, (650028), indicates that items can now be added from 1Password.com accounts but this doesn't appear to be working.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

• Hi @HRD,

Are you thinking of the release note that says the account can be added? There is a new feature that if you log into your 1Password.com account in a web browser, and that account isn't already added to 1Password for Mac, it will ask you to automatically add it.

Or am I misunderstanding your questions?

Cheers,
    Kevin

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_kevin,

This is what it says in the release notes:

[NEW] Finally, items from 1Password.com accounts can be added to your Apple Watch!

But I can't get it to work.

Watch App says this requires pro features, which I have with my subscription account. Maybe this is different to an 1Password.com account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: Oh! I know what you're talking about: the new Apple Watch app! I hate to admit it, but you beat me to it; I wasn't around earlier when the new beta was released! :lol:

I hope you don't mind, but I've split this conversation off into the iOS beta category of the forum so we can focus on getting this setup for you.

I'm sorry for the trouble here. I think I encountered a similar problem initially. The new app doesn't seem to be loading existing "Apple Watch" items, but you should be able to get them to show up (instantaneously, I might add!) by "removing" and then "adding" them again. I had a number of these myself, so I found that doing a search for "watch" in "everything" (since that will include tags) helped me quickly find these to re-add them. I've filed a bug report for this. I hope this helps. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

ref: OPI-3731

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Thanks but I am coming to the conclusion that I made the wrong decision in switching to the subscription model. To be frank, it is a messy migration and lacks key features that were NOT stated at the time.

I'll give your suggestion a try and report back but in an ideal world this should just work!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

No luck. Doesn't work.

I will give it a further two weeks but if there is no progress with Apple Watch and/or 3rd Party Integration I am going to give up on the subscription service. The product was clearly rolled out before it was ready.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

No luck. Doesn't work.

@HRD: I'm sorry that you had trouble migrating your data, and that you're also having difficulty with the new Apple Watch beta! Can you give me an idea of what's happening in your case? Your feedback could make a big difference with this first beta release, so that we can address any issues affecting you (and perhaps others) in the next. That's why we have public betas in the first place. :chuffed:

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, In-App Purchase, and Watch App.

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks again for volunteering to be a beta tester! :)

Thanks but I am coming to the conclusion that I made the wrong decision in switching to the subscription model. To be frank, it is a messy migration and lacks key features that were NOT stated at the time.

Fortunately you can use 1Password with local vaults instead if you wish, even if you prefer the subscription for the simplified licensing. That way you can use 3rd party integration without having to wait. Cheers! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Can you give me an idea of what's happening in your case? I followed your instructions and nothing is shown in the Watch App.

My point to you is that the subscription model is NOT complete and the shortcomings should have been stated when you shipped the service.

Diagnostic report sent.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: Thanks for clarifying. It seems odd that you're seeing nothing at all now, since you mentioned seeing the "requires Pro Features" message previously. We'll get to the bottom of this! However, I don't see anything from this address. Please post the Support ID you received here and we'll take a look!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

hi @brenty,

Suppot ID is: GNJ-17975-211

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: Great! Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: GNJ-17975-211

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

I did reply to your email - your suggestion worked.

Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: Thanks so much! I'll reply there momentarily to make sure we get all the information we need to improve this in future betas. Cheers! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Do you wish me to continue correspondence here on this issue or by email - I don't wish to break the Apple NDA.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: Though I don't imagine that we'd need to discuss anything specific to Apple, I think email may be best anyway, in case we need to request further details. Thanks for asking! :)

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member

I'm having a similar issue with the new watch app. Logins that were already on my watch will not show up, but I can add new things. Any way to get those old items back?

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Yes, I can confirm that the latest beta, 650033, breaks items on the Watch. Removed the tags, restarted the Watch then added tags to some items but nothing shows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@maquinn78: As I mentioned above, currently the only way to get the watch app to load them is to Remove from Apple Watch and then Add to Apple Watch again. We've made some improvements in the latest beta, but this particular issue has not yet been resolved. We're working on making it possible for the watch app to load all of the existing Apple Watch items automatically though, so keep an eye out for beta updates!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

I have attempted that method with the latest beta with no luck.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: I'm sorry to hear that! Thanks for letting me know! It sounds like that means you're unable to get the watch app to display anything from 1Password. Is that correct? Have you tried reinstalling it? This is a bit troublesome, since it needs to be done from the TestFlight app (as opposed to the Apple Watch iPhone app). Let me know if it's working after that. And if it's not, please send a fresh diagnostics report and post the Support ID here so I can take a look. I'm anxious to get these bugs worked out so we can release the new app to everyone! Thanks again for your persistence on this! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi @brenty,

Tried to reinstall. No luck.

Sent report: ID is [#CGS-83376-224]

Separate Subject. 3rd party integration broken also. See here, https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/336268/#Comment_336268
    [Edit by AgileBits: that issue has been resolved with the latest Alfred beta build]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Thanks! We'll get back to you on both of those once we take a closer look. Cheers! :)

ref: CGS-83376-224

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member

No I can add things that have never been on my watch but things that I had before, removing and readding doesn't do anything.

• FolsomRider
    FolsomRider
    Community Member

I am unable to get the Apple Watch app to display any items with the latest build 033 release. The app just says "Add items from 1Password on your iPhone. Requires Apple Watch device pin."

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the Watch app, removed and re-added the Apple Watch tags, no success.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @FolsomRider,

Kindly see above. The bug is being dealt with.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@maquinn78, @FolsomRider: Sorry for the inconvenience! We're working on getting these issues ironed out. Thanks for participating in the beta and giving us your feedback on this!

ref: OPI-3731

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FolsomRider: I just wanted to follow up to clarify this in case there's any confusion: that particular message is saying that a PIN needs to be set on the Apple Watch itself in order for 1Password to ensure that the data is encrypted. Nothing will be sent to your watch if you do not have a PIN set on it.

The message is definitely a bit confusing since this is new in the beta, and because 1Password has its own PIN setting, which is completely separate. We'll see if we can make things clearer too as we continue to work on the new app. Let me know if that helps!

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@FolsomRider @HRD @maquinn78 Hey all, I'm the dev working on the new Apple Watch app, and please be assured I'm reading all of this :)

As Brenty just said, It is a bit confusing that there is an Apple Watch system PIN AND a 1Password Apple Watch PIN - let me try to explain. The mechanism we use to store your information on the watch is called the secure keychain. If the Apple Watch system PIN is not set, this keychain is essentially a free-for-all and is not encrypted at the operating system level. We have made it a requirement with the new app that your watch system PIN be enabled for this reason. As for the 1Password watch PIN (the one you set in the 1Password app, under Apple Watch in settings), that is used to encrypt the actual items themselves, i.e. even if someone got your system PIN, the item information in the keychain would be an encrypted jumble. Now, the system PIN is mandatory, but the 1Password PIN is optional. We trust the system encryption enough that we do give you the option to store your un-encrypted items there, but we added the system PIN requirement so that nobody would go around with an unencrypted keychain AND unencrypted item details. An added benefit of setting the 1Password watch PIN is that the transmission between the phone and the watch only sends encrypted items - not the case if the 1Password watch PIN is disabled!

I hope this helped, even though I rambled a bit :)

As for the "legacy" (for lack of a better term) items not being synced to the watch, I'm working on fixing that and I think I have it figured out. I wasn't able to reproduce it locally but I think (with the help of some beta tester diagnostics) that I'll be able to fix it for the next beta.

Thanks to everyone who's been testing, and please let me know if there's any more feedback you'd like to share! You can always send an email to support@agilebits.com with the subject line "1Password Apple Watch Beta" if you'd like to have a more detailed discussion, and my lovely coworkers will point all the tickets to me.

<3 to Brenty as well for being so awesome!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @cohix,

Thanks for your explanation - much appreciated.

I have a PIN set on my Watch, so will wait for the beta that hopefully solves the bug.

• FolsomRider
    FolsomRider
    Community Member

I have an Apple Watch PIN and a 1Password Watch PIN set.

This discussion has been closed.