Safari Extension does not install - no error message

Options
xz4gb8
xz4gb8
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

On two different machines, MacBook Pro and MacBook, and two different users, running El Capitan 10.11.6 and Safari 10.0, the 1Password extension appears to install (Trust checked) but no extension is installed. No 1Password in extensions display in Safari Preferences or in ~/Library... Extension installs and works on Firefox.

• Scenario - MacBook Pro, showing user how to do PNC Bank multiple screen login.
  1. Oops, no 1Password icon in Safari.
  2. Download extension with Big Green Button
  3. Doubleclick download
  4. Can't install...
  5. Delete old extension
  6. Appears to install, but really does not. No error messages.
  7. Reboot
  8. Install fails silently again.
  9. Download Betas of 1Password and Extension
  10. 1Password installs properly and works
  11. Extension Fails to install (again)
  12. Try Firefox
  13. Extension Installs and works.
  14. SWITCH MACHINES - different machine, 10.11.6 up-to-date, different user, Dropbox on both
  15. delete old vault from a year ago and anything else useful to 1Password (yes, I practiced how to do this with Adobe products as well as 1Password)
  16. Download Production 1Password and Extension
  17. Install 1Password and sync to Dropbox - item count correct, Data is OK
  18. Try to install extension in Safari
  19. Extension is not installed - no error message
  20. Extension installs in Firefox and works correctly
  • Tried all the tricks from older forum entries. (deleting ~/Library stuff, etc.)
  • First machine left essentially alone except new Beta Copies downloaded
  • Second machine essentially a virgin install of production code
  • Reboots and Re-logon and restart Safari makes no difference at any point in the process
  • Install of extension always fails silently in Safari
  1. Have I missed some trick?
  2. I would expect the separately managed machines and User accounts to act differently.
  3. I have even compared file permissions and ACL with other machines in other locations - no differences seen.
  4. What steps should I do next?

In a word, "Help!"

==============================

30 minutes after writing and posting the above came inspiration of a sort:

Installing the Safari extension from the Gallery succeeds. (One machine done - must wait for user to test on the other.)

Non-Beta extension from Gallery seems to work correctly with Beta 1Password. (Just what I expect from Agilebits, of course.)

Bottom line, I really don't know why Safari won't install 1P extension except from Gallery. I've installed/reinstalled/repaired 1P on many machines with various EBCAK events, but never a strange one like this. I'm still looking for advice.

==============================

1Password Version: latest production and beta
Extension Version: latest production and beta
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xz4gb8: Ouch. Well, I'm glad to hear that you were able to make _some_progress at least, but that's got to be frustrating! I'm glad you've reached out.

It sounds like Safari's extension database may be corrupt, which does happen from time to time, making it pretty much unusable from an extension-management perspective. Please try the following:

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G (Shift Command G) to open a Go to folder window.
    2. Use the following location: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted file to the Trash.
    4. Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/ or using a Spotlight search.
    5. Search for safari and right-click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.
    6. In Finder go to the following folder (using the same method as detailed in step 1) to go to ~/Library/Safari/
    7. Drag the entire Extensions folder to the Trash
    8. Then restart you Mac and Safari, which will recreate the folder and hopefully sort out any permissions issues as well

If you're still having trouble, this discussion in Apple's forums might help, or you may need to contact Apple directly for assistance. Please let me know how it turns out!

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    Options

brenty,

The reset of account permissions and ACLs sounds promising. I will have to make a site visit since that isn't something I can do using Back to My Mac. Sometime in the next week it will happen.

Thank you.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @xz4gb8

Thank you for checking that up for us, we'll wait for your update :chuffed:

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I have an update for you that I don't like.

The user was unable/unwilling to cope with the 1Password interface. At the user's request, I have removed all traces of 1Password from the problem machines.

I have an update for you that you will appreciate.

I still use/love/recommend 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xz4gb8: First of all, thanks for following up. While I'm sad to hear that they decided they no longer want 1Password around, I'm grateful to hear that you do. Really thoughtful of you to temper the bad news with the good. Thanks for your kind words and continued support, and if you happen to have any feedback from this experience that may help us improve 1Password for everyone, we're listening! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.