Looking for the 1Password Helper in Chrome

Comments

• pharrington7611
    pharrington7611
    Community Member

I just signed up for 1Password and launched the browser extension in Chrome but it is not working - it is not filling in the username & password information. When I click the 1Password icon, I keep getting the following error message: "Looking for the 1Password helper" "The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly." I'm not a computer expert and have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

• Hi @pharrington7611,

I've split your post into its own thread here.

Prior to installing the 1Password extension in Chrome, did you already install the latest 1Password 6 Beta program from here?

If yes, you are able to unlock the main program and see your data?

If you can, then, there's a third party anti-malware solution that's interfering with the communications between the 1Password app and your 1Password browser extensions. Can you tell us what solution you're using?

• pharrington7611
    pharrington7611
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your prompt response. I don't know if I installed the latest 1Password 6 Beta program. All I did originally was go to the 1Password site and register for an account. I don't know what version that was.

Should I install this new version?

Patrick

• Hi @pharrington7611,

Yes, please do install it first as the 1Password program is required for the extension to work. The 1Password browser extensions have no UI or data to work with, it communicates with the 1Password Helper/mini companion from the main program to bring up the UI and to handle the data for it.

• pharrington7611
    pharrington7611
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Is there any way we could have a brief phone conversation to discuss?

Patrick

• Hi @pharrington7611,

We can discuss over the email if you want, our email here is support+windows@agilebits.com. We don't have a call center as we're a small private de-centralized company and emails + forums allows us to scale to our large userbase.

• jabeling
    jabeling
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

EDIT: Problem solved.
    Updated to 6.0.252d and everything is working.
    Looking better also ...

Hello,
    I have the same problem.
    Windows 10 installed, using the latest Chrome browser.
    The standalone 1Password 6.0.161u is working, but the chrome extension opens a new window saying it is looking for the 1Password helper.
    I have Windows Defender running.

• Hi @jabeling,

That's great to hear, thanks for updating your post to let us know it's all good now.

This discussion has been closed.