Feature Request: one-time passwords in notification center

Options
Kaveh
Kaveh
Community Member

For some reason, the last discussion on this topic was closed without resolution. Using the watch is not a viable option for this. It can't be that hard to present one-time passwords in a notification center widget both on iOS and macOS, but it would be IMMENSELY useful.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Kaveh,

Inactive topics are closed automatically after long periods of inactivity. I can't comment on the difficulty or ease of building what you've suggested, as I don't presume to know how difficult or easy someone else's job is. But I can say we have thought a lot about this problem, and we currently have something in beta that may help. In the beta version when you fill a login that has an OTP the OTP is copied to the clipboard. So all you have to do when you get to the OTP request is paste. :)

Hopefully testing goes well and we see that feature in a future stable update.

I'd be interested to hear if that would resolve this for you.

Ben

• Kaveh
    Kaveh
    Community Member
    Options

This doesn't seem like a very intuitive behavior. How would I know it's actually doing that? This also doesn't solve the problem that it's [right now] way too many steps to get to an OTP password in 1password (compared with authenticator apps like Authy or Google Authenticator).

• Ben
    Options

It tells you. You'll get a notification when it happens. :) I've included a screenshot toward the bottom of this post.

I'm not sure I follow about extra steps. When you fill a login using the extension the OTP code will be right there on your clipboard. No extra steps required. Are you finding times where you need your OTP code but aren't filling your login credentials through 1Password? I'd be interested to hear about that use case if so.

Ben

• Kaveh
    Kaveh
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Yes, all the time on iOS. Pretty much every time you log into a google account (for instance), you're switching in and out of 1password to get the OTP. Contrast that to Authy, which puts a widget in your notification bar and makes access much easier (provided the phone is unlocked). Plus you tap on the OTP you want and it's automatically copied to the clipboard (and with Sierra's shared clipboard, this makes it even easier).

The core issue I have is that it's too many taps (in iOS, or even macOS) to get to the OTP. These should be quickly and easily accessible, but instead they're buried somewhere in the UI. With the shared clipboard in iOS, I find that just having them in a widget is awesome.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! I can't make any promises that we'll head in this direction but we do appreciate the feedback that further steps in making OTPs more convenient would be appreciated. I'll be sure to pass your comments along to our development team. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.