New user needs help with 1P model choice

I'm sure this has been debated to death, but I'm really having a hard time choosing between the subscription model and the license of 1P. I am a single user who only uses Apple devices & I don't work in tech or with a team via computer networks so all of my passwords and information I'm using 1P to protect are my own and for personal use. I feel like this may be pertinent.

Here are my concerns and questions:

• I'm not sure the added features of the subscription model are really useful for me, aside from the auto sync.
  • However, part of me likes the idea of using the encryption service of 1P and the storage service of an app like DropBox to keeo things separate. Obviously 1P thinks their servers are safe, otherwise they wouldn't offer this service of storage but I'd like to hear what the community thinks about this as I am 100% not an expert.
  • If I were to use the license and sync my vault via dropbox, how does that work? Do I manually need to resave the vault every time I add a new password via 1P or does the vault auto update, therefore DropBox will take care of syncing the updated file?
  • When a new major version comes out (such as 1Password 6>7) will the paid upgrade be the full price of a new license or a smaller upcharge?
  • Is there anything else I may be neglecting to take into account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I'm not sure the added features of the subscription model are really useful for me, aside from the auto sync.

For most of our customers we recommend a 1Password.com account. They are easier to use, offer more features, and make budgeting easier.

I'd recommend trying it out and seeing for yourself. You'll have 30 days to decide if you want to continue with an account.

https://start.1password.com/signup/plan

However, part of me likes the idea of using the encryption service of 1P and the storage service of an app like DropBox to keeo things separate. Obviously 1P thinks their servers are safe, otherwise they wouldn't offer this service of storage but I'd like to hear what the community thinks about this as I am 100% not an expert.

We do think our servers are safe, but we also know that doesn't really matter. Your data is encrypted on your device before being sent to our servers. Your Master Password and Account Key are needed in order to turn that encrypted data into anything useful. Neither of those bits of information are ever sent to or stored on our servers. We've made it such that we aren't a target for attackers because we hold nothing of value.

With Dropbox you do not have the benefit of the Account Key as a second layer of protection.

About the Account Key

If I were to use the license and sync my vault via dropbox, how does that work? Do I manually need to resave the vault every time I add a new password via 1P or does the vault auto update, therefore DropBox will take care of syncing the updated file?

The sync file is automatically updated whenever you make a change. As long as your devices are properly configured to use that sync file then the changes will be automatic.

How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

When a new major version comes out (such as 1Password 6>7) will the paid upgrade be the full price of a new license or a smaller upcharge?

We haven't made any announcement in that regard at this point. If history is any indicator there will be a discount for existing license holders to upgrade to the new version, but I couldn't say what that pricing will look like.

Is there anything else I may be neglecting to take into account?

As I mentioned I'd recommend taking it for a test spin and see for yourself what you think. :)

Ben

• With Dropbox you do not have the benefit of the Account Key as a second layer of protection.

I guess that begs the question: Why not add this second layer of protection to the license model as well? It seems to me that this is entirely independent of the subscription vs license choice.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I guess that begs the question: Why not add this second layer of protection to the license model as well?

It would require a redesign of the data format used for the standalone product, which is not something we're currently in a position to consider. Our current development focus is on our 1Password.com services.

While there are certainly some benefits that will apply equally to either route, if folks want the benefits that are exclusive to the 1Password.com accounts we'd encourage them in that direction. I can't make any promises that Account Keys will ever be applicable to the standalone offerings.

The Account Key is a defense against a weak Master Password. It was designed to prevent someone who was able to steal the contents of our servers from being able to run a simple password guesser against a whole slew of 1Password customers. A strong Master Password is your best defense for vaults stored places other than 1Password.com.

It seems to me that this is entirely independent of the subscription vs license choice.

The two are closely married at the moment.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.