Have a license, do I need a subscription?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Switch from Family sub. To individual license.

Comments

• InTheDark
    InTheDark
    Community Member

With the introduction of 1Password for Individuals and a subscription service being offered I am somewhat in doubt about my status. I have always been licensed as an individual (or so I thought) and fail to see what the advantage to the subscription service offers. What am I missing here? There is the hint that the subscription gets you "something" above and beyond.......what might that be?

• Hi @InTheDark,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I hope you don't mind but I've split your question off into its own thread as it doesn't seem to be related to the original poster's issue, and I don't want to derail their thread.

We still offer both subscription and licensing options. If you have a license there is nothing that you need to change. You may want to, as our subscription services offer a few benefits that licensing do not:

• All of our native apps and all upgrades are included with your subscription (with licenses additional fees apply)
    • Easier sync setup -- simply sign into your account on a device and all your data is available. This also makes setting up new or replacement devices much easier. You no longer need to worry about "where is my data?" or "what sync service am I using?"
    • Easier sharing -- sharing is built into 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. If you need to share some or all of your 1Password data with a group of people this is the easiest way to do it
    • Access your data from the web. Our native clients provide the best experience but some employers do not allow software to be installed. You can now use our handy web interface to access your data.
    • Account recovery is now possible when using 1Password Families or 1Password Teams. Previously if someone forgot their 1Password Master Password there was no way to restore access to their data. Now an administrator of the 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account can assist them in recovering it.

Those are just a few of the benefits I can think of off hand, but as I mentioned if they do not appeal to you there is no reason you'd need to do anything at this time. Everything continues just as it has. These new offerings exist alongside our existing offerings, they are not replacements.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jonathaniweiss
    jonathaniweiss
    Community Member

@Ben I just paid a quite a hefty penny for desktop and mobile standalone licenses + pro features for everyone in my family. Right after family subscription comes out. Is there any kind of discount or compensation for that when switching to subscription?

• If you purchased recently enough, and from us directly (desktop), we may be able to refund that. Either way, shoot us an email to sales@1password.com with the details and we'll help figure out the best way forward. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.