Beta feedback

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: No Password Generator available in the extension?.

Comments

• Jonathan_Absher
    Jonathan_Absher
    Community Member

Ok, so I spent a great deal of time debating between 1password and your biggest competitor. Even though I JUST MISSED a better price structure, I decided to take the trial after looking at lots of demo videos. I knew having Windows 10 (some of the demo's I watched) would be a little clunkier (thinking that meant harder to log into) but not that it has only 1 feature. This (and I understand Beta) Beta has ONE FEATURE. It memorizes most passwords so I don't have to. That's it. That's the list.

I get that this is hard technical stuff you are doing. I can barely type. However my question is, When will this look like a real thing on Windows?? Again, I get it, but this current user interface and feature set is lacking. AND IT AIN'T WORTH $5 A MONTH! Again, I get it, but this is not something I like or care to purchase in its present form. Any chance I'll be happy with it soon????? This trial is proving I need to look elsewhere.

I really do want your product. What can you tell me?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jonathan_Absher: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate topic since your comments aren't related to the password generator (which we added to 1Password mini a few updates ago) discussion.

Any chance I'll be happy with it soon? [...] I really do want your product. What can you tell me?

These are questions I would love to answer! Are there specific features you're anxiously awaiting in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app? We'd appreciate any constructive criticism you might have. And knowing more about what you expect from the new app may, on a micro level, allow me to answer these burning questions and, on a macro level, inform its ongoing development.

Thanks for your interest in 1Password. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Jonathan_Absher
    Jonathan_Absher
    Community Member

Ok, I will cop to being a bit off. I reread the thread I started on and I misread the conversation regarding the password generator too. I will retract my one dimensional belief. Feel free to delete my original.

That said, this UI for windows is far from intuitive and doesn't look like any official demo I can find. I anticipated the chrome plugin to do more things like the app. Does the app just show available credentials if my browser is on a saved site?

On the app, I have only 1 category option (but the ability to tag things), I can favorite a login, lock 1password, look at my vault in two places, make a couple hotkey choices, change master password, & check version. I can also launch websites, use the password generator (which is clunky), and see the password (that part feels odd too).

I have it on my phone too and there are many more features. There are more syncing options, timing features, differentiate saved things other than log in credentials, 1 time password (I can't find it on PC).

I still have no idea how to encrypt a doc of credentials and send them to dropbox or retrieve them for that matter, or if that is even needed because I'm getting mixed info, once in the one category I have on my iphone I can't get to anything other than log ins.

OK I'll stop there. You may have answers to some of this and I hope you do. I will simply add that I am looking for something to simplify my life not give me extra steps or make me dig to find features. I am not a Luddite, but I was expecting some level of basic intuitiveness to keep from getting so frustrated looking for advertised features.

I do know that lots of 3rd party information is wrong since you just changed pricing and generation. I do know it is hard to work with so many other OS, browsers, sites, etc. whilst remaining secure. When I asked about being happy, it comes from seeing lots of Windows users on these discussion threads being told to be patient about features mixed with my personal frustration with the UI. At this point, I think I would rather create and remember good passwords that dig through discussion threads to see what is 1)possible and 2)how to do it.

• Jonathan_Absher
    Jonathan_Absher
    Community Member

Crap, I forgot to mention 2FA also. I don't see it under security. Is it there? where?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Crap, I forgot to mention 2FA also. I don't see it under security. Is it there? where?

@Jonathan_Absher: The short version is that 1Password.com uses the Account Key for all accounts, with Duo as an additional (opt-in) option for 1Password Teams. I hate to do this to you, but please check out this discussion on multifactor authentication in particular. I did my best to sum things up (though brevity is not my strength), and rather than copy and paste my comments and the original poster's feedback, I'd love to hear any comments, questions, or suggestions you might like to add there. And that way we can focus on that broader issue there, and Windows-app-specific feedback here so both get the attention they deserve. :)

Ok, I will cop to being a bit off. I reread the thread I started on and I misread the conversation regarding the password generator too. I will retract my one dimensional belief. Feel free to delete my original.

Hey, no worries! There's a lot to process, so I don't think anyone would fault you for skimming. I just wanted to clarify that the password generator has already been added, both for you and anyone else joining in.

On the app, I have only 1 category option (but the ability to tag things), I can favorite a login, lock 1password, look at my vault in two places, make a couple hotkey choices, change master password, & check version. I can also launch websites, use the password generator (which is clunky), and see the password (that part feels odd too).

We definitely agree that there's room to refine the interface. We've been tweaking it over time and will continue to do so, but we'll be able to improve it a lot more once we're no longer making big changes to add things.

It sounds like you may be seeing only a single category (Logins?) in the sidebar because you don't have items in other categories. You can create a new item of any type by clicking the "+ New Item" button toward the top of the main 1Password window near the middle.

As I mentioned earlier in the conversation, we've added the password generator recently, so we'll be building on that as well. Can you tell me what changes you'd like to see there, and perhaps how you would like the "reveal password" option to work differently?

I have it on my phone too and there are many more features. There are more syncing options, timing features, differentiate saved things other than log in credentials, 1 time password (I can't find it on PC).

Indeed, 1Password for iOS has been around for a while, but we're working hard to bring the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app up to that level (and that of 1Password for Mac, which is a more direct comparison, I think).

As I mentioned above, you can create new items of any category in the Windows beta already. The new app is focused on the new 1Password.com service currently since we already have a mature Windows app for local vaults, but we'll be adding full support for local vaults to the new app in the future. Currently it supports Dropbox, OneDrive, and Folder Sync in read-only mode. And while you don't need any of those once your data is in a 1Password Account, let me know what other sync options you'd might like to see in the future!

I still have no idea how to encrypt a doc of credentials and send them to dropbox or retrieve them for that matter, or if that is even needed because I'm getting mixed info, once in the one category I have on my iphone I can't get to anything other than log ins.

I think there may be some confusion here. If you're using a 1Password Account, there is no sync setup or Dropbox: you simply login to your account on each device to access your data. You can add a Document to your 1Password Account by going to "+ New Item" and choosing "Document". Then just drag the file to the new item details on the right, and give it a name. You can then download and view it on the devices (or browsers) authorized with your 1Password Account. And it also sounds like you may only be seeing "Logins" on your iPhone because that's all you have so far.

OK I'll stop there. You may have answers to some of this and I hope you do. I will simply add that I am looking for something to simplify my life not give me extra steps or make me dig to find features. I am not a Luddite, but I was expecting some level of basic intuitiveness to keep from getting so frustrated looking for advertised features.

You're absolutely right: This should be easier! If you're running into these problems it's because we haven't made things clear enough. I'm really sorry for that, and I appreciate you taking the time to give this feedback so we can make it better for you and everyone else!

I do know that lots of 3rd party information is wrong since you just changed pricing and generation. I do know it is hard to work with so many other OS, browsers, sites, etc. whilst remaining secure. When I asked about being happy, it comes from seeing lots of Windows users on these discussion threads being told to be patient about features mixed with my personal frustration with the UI. At this point, I think I would rather create and remember good passwords that dig through discussion threads to see what is 1)possible and 2)how to do it.

Wow. I think that says it all. While it's certainly difficult to juggle all of the OS, browser, and device versions out there, that's our job and not yours! Where we've let you down in this regard and caused you frustration, I apologize. We're not going to stop until using 1Password to be more secure is easy for everyone. That day will likely never come, but it's an ideal we believe in, and we'll continue to strive for that. Thanks again for helping us understand where we have some gaps that need to be filled. We're here for you if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions. I'd love to continue this dialogue. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.