1Password mini doesn't fill on all sites correctly

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Multiple URL support [Coming soon].

Comments

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    Options

Speaking of URL support, I've started experimenting with using the mini 1Password 6 for Windows Desktop (1PW6WD) and the mini-like version in my Chrome Browser. I can search for a 1PW6WD entry in the mini, but I can't figure out how to go to a URL from the mini. I don't store any shortcuts in my browser for URLs that need passwords for the same reason I keep all my cookies-for-password-sites cleaned up--to limit access to my accounts if anyone breaks into my computer (physical or remote). So, usually the way I get to a landing point for an account is to click on the URL in the 1PW6WD entry. That's too hard to remember for URLs like Hertz Rental Car at https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/emember/login.do . So, is there any way to use the mini 1PW6WD to go to a URL that is stored within 1PW6WD? Or, do I have to use the full 1PW6WD application for that?

1PW6WD version 6.0.252d, Extension 4.6.2BETA-1, Windows 10 Pro fully updated. Chrome browser.

• Hi @nhDOBsfc,

Do you mean trying to open a secondary URL via 1Password mini? If so, that's not yet possible. It should be once we add the item's details viewer to 1Password mini and it shows you the list of URLs you can click to open.

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Greetings @MikeT,

I mean the primary URL from the mini. Take this site for example. I have 1Password set up to land at URL https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target= . Starting from an initial state where I'm not at the Agilebits website, I:
    (1) do "CNTRL ALT \" to launch the mini.
    (2) type "Agilebits" in the mini's searchbar to find my entry for AgileBits 1Password Windows 6 Beta Forum.
    (3) what do I do now in the mini to utilize my 1Password entry to cause Chrome to go to the sign-in URL that I have set up in 1Password, namely https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target= ?

More generally, I'm not seeing what the mini does that the 1Password applet in Chrome will not do. Why would I ever launch the mini ? I run a quad-screen settup on my desktop, and have always used the full 1Password program before instead of the mini. But I decided to play around the the mini to learn the ropes for when I travel with my laptop. I'm coming to the mini game late, and seem to be missing something really obvious.

• Hey @nhDOBsfc,

To have 1Password mini navigate to the primary URL in an item, you simply have to click it. Since you haven't used it before, this might be another new concept.

As for the difference between 1Password mini and the 1Password Chrome extension, there is none. The Chrome extension merely calls up 1Password mini. The user interface you see when you click the extension button is 100% 1Password.

I hope this clears things up :)

Cheers,

Alex

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    Options

@AlexHoffmann, well, in that case, I have a bug report. When I click on an entry in the mini, no navigation occurs. I've tried clicking on the text of the entry and the icon in the entry. Nothing.

1PW6WD version 6.0.252d, Extension 4.6.2BETA-1, Windows 10 Pro fully updated. Chrome browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nhDOBsfc: Ah, I'm sorry to hear that! Are you experiencing the same issue in other browsers too, or just Chrome? This happened to me once, and restarting Chrome got it working. Not sure what was going on there.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate diagnostic information so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

1. Open the main 1Password app
    2. In the Search box, type /log and press Enter
    3. Save the log and attach it to a new email to support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track it down. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

@brenty , well, I've experimented with the mini some more. I would say the mini works for navigation about 10% of the time. Conversely, once successfully navigated to a site by other means, the mini succeeds in auto-filling the login information about 50% of the time. Additionally, if manually prompted after arriving at an appropriate login landing point, the mini succeeds in filling in the login information about 99% of the time. Its been getting better, and so I think I'll just wait and see how it works as updates roll out in the future.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @nhDOBsfc,

I've split our conversation into its own thread since this isn't related to the original topic.

I would say the mini works for navigation about 10% of the time.

Right now, Go and Fill isn't fully optimized, it won't work consistently. There's a separate issue where if you're on a site, like a.com and you try to open a different site (b.com), 1Password blocks it because it thinks you're trying to fill b.com on a.com, which violates our anti-phishing rule.

This will get better over time, for now, opening a new tab and asking 1Password to fill should work more consistently.

Conversely, once successfully navigated to a site by other means, the mini succeeds in auto-filling the login information about 50% of the time.

It would help if you can tell us a few examples of the sites that didn't work, this is something we have to test to see what's going on. It may be happening because we've tried to fill too fast before the site was ready to take it.

You can also email us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com if you don't want to list the sites here.

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT,

You described all of my mini-navigation-failures when you wrote, "There's a separate issue where if you're on a site, like a.com and you try to open a different site (b.com), 1Password blocks it because it thinks you're trying to fill b.com on a.com, which violates our anti-phishing rule. This will get better over time, for now, opening a new tab and asking 1Password to fill should work more consistently." Since, as I wrote above "I don't store any shortcuts in my browser for URLs that need passwords ..." , using 1Password 6 for Windows Desktop (1PW6WD) for navigation is a very common use case for me.

As for the sites where auto-fill doesn't work for me, they are all related to manual logins that I've created over the years (going back as far as 1Password Version 1). So, that's not really the mini's fault. I'm waiting for the "Manual Login Save" that you discussed here before I update them for the reasons I discussed here and additionally to save my psuedorandom answers to security questions as @Pilar discusses and illustrates here.

The one feature that I'd most like to see in 1PW6WD before it goes full release is the ability for me to initiate a manual fill-in by commanding 1PW6WD to jam characters in the keyboard buffer like 1Password for Window Version 4 used to do (and still does I suppose). I used to use that a lot; its much quicker than doing copy/pastes out of the 1PW6WD and doesn't expose my info to other programs through the Windows Clipboard.

I didn't use browser extensions at all when I used 1Password Version 4, but now in 1PW6WD they are much improved(!) and so now I'm using them.

Love the program, keep up the good work.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @nhDOBsfc,

We do plan to add Auto-Type to 1Password 6 but that might take a while. Manual save/password changes will come first before Auto-Type.

I'm glad you're liking 1Password mini so far, it doesn't yet have 10% of its features either, so it is going to get more powerful over time to be a productive mini companion you can use alongside your usual workflow. If we can teach 1Password mini to auto-type in the app next to it for you, oh man, that'd be awesome.

• nhDOBsfc
    nhDOBsfc
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT,

I'll remember that AgileBits uses the term Auto-Type to refer to ability for the user (me) to initiate a manual fill-in by commanding 1PW6WD to jam characters in the keyboard buffer like 1Password for Window Version 4 used to do (and still does I suppose).

I fully realize that I could file a support-request report every time and for every website where I couldn't get fully automatic logins to work. But, why bother? Its a never ending arms race. 1Password's efforts to make logins automatic are in tension with the whole industrial complex that supports web-commerce, which is actively adjusting web sign-ins to thwart bots. From time to time that huge industrial complex will succeed and in those cases having a human-ordered Auto-Type feature in 1Password will be a great convenience for the human (me).

• Hi @nhDOBsfc,

I agree with you and we do understand how you feel but not reporting isn't going to help either. Without that information, our core extension team cannot make any adjustments to our algorithm that may work on various sites, not just one. We can make better adjustments when we see identical issues across random sites by understanding the pattern between them. By the way, we use the same algorithm on all of our platforms; Android, macOS/iOS, and Windows, meaning a single fix improves all platforms at once. Auto-Type is limited to Windows only with Android using 1Password keyboard instead.

Also, without testing it, it can be a bug in the browser itself, our app, and so on. For an example, not filling because of the Go and Fill situation is not a bug in our extension but the way we incorrectly block the call because of the site you're on. You're going to love the next update because we believe we have addressed this.

Auto-Type can't be the only solution either. In its current version with 1Password 4; it doesn't work with more than two fields at the time, it cannot figure out which field is which and so on. Auto-Type is a security risk of its own because it cannot perform analysis to determine which field is the password one, so that it only fills the password into that field and nothing else. We've seen cases where people accidentally auto-typed in the search field first, not username, and it typed their password into the username field, requiring them to change the password instantly. This is why we don't like Auto-Type and cannot make it the primary focus.

This discussion has been closed.