Share some passwords with girlfriend

dle12280
dle12280
Community Member

Hello. I am a longtime 1Password user. I would like to get my gilfriend set up with it as well. We will each need to maintain a number of private passwords- work, banking, etc, but there are a growing number of passwords we want to share- house combinations, computer logins, entertainment services, etc. I'm not sure if a family subscription would get us the functionality we're looking for or if it would be best to just maintain two completely separate accounts. Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dle12280

What you are describing is exactly the kind of thing we had in mind when 1Password Families was created. Even more, that's exactly how I've been using 1Password for the past several months, and on a personal level I can tell you it has worked just perfect for us :chuffed:

With 1Password Families you'd each get your own "Personal" vault with data that is only known to each of you and you also get a "Shared" vault where you can share items like the ones you mention. On top of that you'd be able to help each other recover access if you were to lose your Emergency Kit or Master Password, as well as many other advantages. You can read everything about 1Password Families here.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that you'd like to know about 1Password :chuffed:

• dle12280
    dle12280
    Community Member

OK. Great. Thanks for the good word, Pilar.

I did look at the pricing and I'm a little confused. I don't pay a subscription now - I purchased the mac app and ios app a few years ago. I think I'm understanding that 1Password is totally subscription based now? I wouldn't need to purchase the app for my GF, but would need to subscribe to the family service. Yes?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dle12280

I'm sorry about the confusion with all the different ways there are to use 1Password. Until about the beginning of this year 1Password was issued by license, your data was stored locally and you set up syncing yourself (as you know). Now we have another option, and it is to use the 1Password accounts. While you don't need to move to an account by any means, and we still offer licenses, 1Password Families is subscription based. This is because your data is now stored on our servers, which is what allows you to share items with people in the same account and also to not have to worry about syncing. If you decide to get a subscription to 1Password Families the latest version of all the apps is included so you wouldn't need to purchase the apps separately or pay for upgrades when they come along :chuffed:

If you have any other questions, we're here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.