Text Expander 5.1.4 no longer works when I'm filling out an edible field in a 1Password entry

Options
bpsooner
bpsooner
Community Member

I'm trying to edit a note in a 1Password item & Text Expander snippets no longer expand (say for today's date, or my a shortcut for my e-mail address). It used to work in all the fields when I was creating or editing a log-in entry or a secure note or about any thing. What do I need to change in my Preferences to allow Text Expander to work in my editing of 1 Password entries again? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Textexpander 5.1.4 no longer works when I'm filling out an edible field in a 1Password entry

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bpsooner

When you're editing a note, or anything, in 1Password Secure Input is enabled automatically. This is to help you protect your data from key loggers and other similar malware. In order for TextExpander to work it needs to read what you're typing and it's not something you'd want with sensitive information, it would be an easily exploitable security threat. You can read some more about Text Expander and Secure Input on their site here: https://smilesoftware.com/textexpander/secureinput/?

If you have any questions or there's anything else that you'd like to know about 1Password please don't hesitate to ask :chuffed:

• trev16
    trev16
    Community Member
    Options

I have not got the time for this I apologise but I need to get things done. I had TextExpander working perfectly. Then I install 1Password then TextExpander stops working. I have read all the long winded discussions about this and that about this problem with TextExpander and 1Password not working together because 1Password switches on the Secure Input mode on. So I completely uninstalled 1Password to the best of my ability. Still TextExpander dose not work. I downloaded 1Password from the App store the version is 6.3.3 the version number of TextExpander 6.0.9. I would like to get rid off 1Password of my computer so TextExpander will work again. I would also like to know why dose TextExpander and 1Password work fine on the iphone no problems but not on my computer. I am a busy person I work 10 hours a day I have a family to run I really have not got the time for all this. I want a strait forward fix to this problem. I don't want have to be backing up the computer and reinstalling the OSX as that will take about half day. Is there a quick fix to this problem. I need to get work done. I wish I have never brought and installed 1Password on my computer. This has put me back a day in regards to getting work done!!!!!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trev16

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password and TextExpander working together. I've been using this combo for a quite a while now and I've not found any issue. I would like to know what exactly might be causing the problems for you. In general, the Secure Input issue is very niche, it only happens when you edit something in 1Password and then change windows without leaving the edit first, or similar things. If you have uninstalled 1Password and you're still having trouble with TextExpander then I'm very sorry but the problem might be there instead. To delete 1Password you just need to drag the App into the trash, empty the trash and then restart your computer. If you want some help to figure out what might have gone wrong so you can use both 1Password and TextExpander please let us know some more details as to which OS you're using and what exactly is the problem that you have with these apps and what kind of error you see and we'll be glad to help you sort it all out. No need to reinstall OSX!

I hope to hear back from you soon so we can get to the bottom of this and get both apps playing nice with each other :chuffed:

• trev16
    trev16
    Community Member
    Options

I am sorry but this sentence is very vague. < it only happens when you edit something in 1Password and then change windows without leaving the edit first, or similar things> what concerns me is what do you mean by what similar things are you referring too.

You then say. Bit vague again but I assume you are talking about TextExpnder being the problem. Not me actually me uninstalling 1Password and that process has caused problem am I correct.

If you are referring to TextExpander being the problem no thats impossible because TextEpander was working perfectly right up to when I installed 1Password. It stands to reason that since the the program 1Password has had conflicts before with TextEpander this is well documented. Well the problem lays with 1Password that seems very logical to me.

I am running the latest Macintosh OS 10.12 - 1Password from the App store the version is 6.3.3 - TextExpander 6.0.9.- Lets just say I want TextExpander to work with Notes Version 4.3 (682) witch it did perfectly before I installed 1Password that would be a good start.

You said I did not find this a true statement. I did that then I did a search and found residue code of 1Password still on my computer. I cleared that residue code. Restarted my computer. Then I reinstalled 1Password. Then I opened up 1Password and the program <1Password> asked me for a password so I used the same password I had given the original 1Password everything opened up with all my passwords . How could that be if I had deleted the Original 1Password that dose not make sense to me. I should have had to a least apply a new default password. That is telling me that when you install 1Password it installs cookies or small apps what ever you want to call them in your OS. Because that is the only way my original 1Password password would have worked.

I find this all very strange maybe posting up some videos on how as you say <I've been using this combo for a quite a while now and I've not found any issue> on how you get the two programs to work together would be very beneficial to the 1Password community .

PS you did not answer my question in my last post

On a side note I am having to use my iphone now to do what I wanted to do on my computer using Textexpander as Textexpander dose not work on my computer anymore since I installed 1Password. The job needs to be done and working off an Iphone for this amount of work is very tiresome.

• trev16
    trev16
    Community Member
    Options

Note: Please disregard the prior post to this post some statements were left out so the prior post may not make allot sense.

I am sorry but this sentence is very vague. < it only happens when you edit something in 1Password and then change windows without leaving the edit first, or similar things > what concerns me is what do you mean by what similar things are you referring too.

You then say. < If you have uninstalled 1Password and you're still having trouble with TextExpander then I'm very sorry but the problem might be there instead. > This is a bit vague again but I assume you are talking about TextExpander being the problem. Not me actually me uninstalling 1Password and that process has caused problem am I correct.

If you are referring to TextExpander being the problem no thats impossible because TextEpander was working perfectly right up to when I installed 1Password. It stands to reason that since the the program 1Password has had conflicts before with TextEpander this is well documented. Well the problem lays with 1Password that seems very logical to me.

I am running the latest Macintosh OS 10.12 - 1Password from the App store the version is 6.3.3 - TextExpander 6.0.9.- Lets just say I want TextExpander to work with Notes Version 4.3 (682) witch it did perfectly before I installed 1Password that would be a good start.

You said **< To delete 1Password you just need to drag the App into the trash, empty the trash and then restart your computer. > **I did not find this a true statement. I did that then I did a search and found residue code of 1Password still on my computer. I cleared that residue code. Restarted my computer. Then I reinstalled 1Password. Then I opened up 1Password and the program <1Password> asked me for a password so I used the same old password I had given the original 1Password everything opened up with all my passwords. How could that be if I had deleted the original 1Password. That dose not make sense to me. I should have had to a least had to apply a new default password to the newly installed 1Password. That is telling me that when you install 1Password it installs cookies or small apps what ever you want to call them into your OS. Because that is the only way my original 1Password password would have worked.

I find this all very strange maybe posting up some videos on how as you say** < I've been using this combo for a quite a while now and I've not found any issue >** on how you get the two programs to work together would be very beneficial to the 1Password community .

PS you did not answer my question in my orignal first post < I would also like to know why dose TextExpander and 1Password work fine on the iphone no problems but not on my computer. >

On a side note I am having to use my iphone now to do what I wanted to do on my computer using Textexpander as Textexpander dose not work on my computer anymore since I installed 1Password. The job needs to be done and working off an Iphone for this amount of work is very tiresome. Please help me fix this problem so I can get some work done.

• Thanks for posting a few more details about what's going on. Let's jump in.

I am sorry but this sentence is very vague.

it only happens when you edit something in 1Password and then change windows without leaving the edit first, or similar things

what concerns me is what do you mean by what similar things are you referring too.

There are a lot of ways Secure Input can be enabled in 1Password for Mac. After all, it's a password manager and a security app. Most of the data you input with your keyboard will be in a Secure Input-enabeld field. The exceptions are search, the auto-lock settings in Preferences, and the autosave exceptions list in Browser preferences. When you are editing or creating an item, Secure Input is enabled until that action is complete.

I've had a few instances where I keep 1Password open with an item in edit mode, and switch to another app then start using TextExpander for something. (We use it all day here at AgileBits by the way. It's our top tool up there with 1Password itself.) I have to go back and either save my edits or cancel them to use TextExpander in another app.

You then say.

If you have uninstalled 1Password and you're still having trouble with TextExpander then I'm very sorry but the problem might be there instead.

This is a bit vague again but I assume you are talking about TextExpander being the problem. Not me actually me uninstalling 1Password and that process has caused problem am I correct.

You said you completely uninstalled 1Password, so Pilar was referring to that. Since you uninstalled it and the issue persisted, a logical conclusion was that the issue resided with TextExpander and perhaps another app on your system. She recommended uninstalling it completely and rebooting your computer to see if that helps. Did you do that?

Then it's worth looking into that. We haven't seen problems with TextExpander ceasing to work indefinitely when 1Password is installed. Did you perhaps have something in the edit state in 1Password? It's worth rebooting your computer, installing 1Password again, and seeing if you can reproduce the issue with editing or creating an item, or entering your Master Password on the lock screen. If you notice some specific behavior, let us know so we can look into fixing it. :)

You said

To delete 1Password you just need to drag the App into the trash, empty the trash and then restart your computer.

I did not find this a true statement. I did that then I did a search and found residue code of 1Password still on my computer. I cleared that residue code. Restarted my computer. Then I reinstalled 1Password. Then I opened up 1Password and the program <1Password> asked me for a password so I used the same old password I had given the original 1Password everything opened up with all my passwords. How could that be if I had deleted the original 1Password. That dose not make sense to me. I should have had to a least had to apply a new default password to the newly installed 1Password. That is telling me that when you install 1Password it installs cookies or small apps what ever you want to call them into your OS. Because that is the only way my original 1Password password would have worked.

1Password does store data in the Library folder. This is to keep your passwords and other 1Password data safe in case you decide to simply reinstall the app. Storing the data in the app bundle isn't possible. Every app has things in the Library folder. We have a full guide to help you uninstall 1Password in its entirety if you need to do that, but we don't recommend it if you have data in there that you'd like to keep around. It sounds like you deleted the app and perhaps some of the library files, but not all of them.

To be clear, if 1Password is causing an issue with TextExpander, moving the app to the Trash, emptying it, and rebooting would solve the problems. 1Password as a running process is what would cause the issue, not the database or preference files.

I find this all very strange maybe posting up some videos on how as you say

I've been using this combo for a quite a while now and I've not found any issue

on how you get the two programs to work together would be very beneficial to the 1Password community .

We haven't seen a noticeable trend of issues with 1Password and TextExpander to be honest. We typically do videos for popular topics like saving and filling passwords. The folks over at Smile have documented Secure Input and all the apps it affects thoroughly, and TextExpander always shows what app has enabled it:

PS you did not answer my question in my orignal first post

I would also like to know why dose TextExpander and 1Password work fine on the iphone no problems but not on my computer.

TextExpander for iOS is very different from the macOS version. On iOS, there's sandboxing and restrictions on what apps can do with regards to the system and interaction with other apps. macOS is much more open and multitasking with different windows is more common. There are many differences between the operating systems, but the main one in the app's regard is that TextExpander for iOS uses a custom keyboard to expand things, and that operates differently from the macOS version. Feel free to ask Smile for more details about the inner-workings if you're curious. :)

Hope that helps clear things up! If you do find some issues with the interaction of these apps, please let us know and we'll do our best to sort them out. Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.