Why so many changes? — [Because of Safari 5.1 (WebKit2) and Lion everything must be reworked]

Don't fix it if it's not broken
I want to add my thoughts about this Safari extension for Lion. Sure most of us understand it's a beta. But it's clear most of us customers agree it's not a good sign of things to come. Pop-up windows?? I thought I had an extension to stop those ;)
"Install all browser extensions" in 1P preferences only displays Firefox as installed in the Advanced section. 1P button IS installed on my Safari toolbar, but asks to save logins already saved. And the most useful feature is still missing: my personal shortcut to fill logins.
Hopefully we can at least have the same funcionality when 1P is out of beta. We consider 1P an indispensable, very useful tool; no need to add too much eye candy, please!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Teodolito. We had to scrap all of the extension code from the past five years late in development for Safari 5.1 due to some changes Apple made in Lion. We are starting from scratch but working around the clock to push out some updates. I think there were actually three updates today alone.

Could you please try the new Beta release (3.6.5.BETA-3) and see if it fixes the issues you had? You can do this by going to the 1Password > Preferences window, selecting the Update panel, enable the "Include Beta versions" checkbox, and then click Check Now. Once the update is installed, try again and see if it helps.

We are also looking at the interface and considering some options.

Thanks for your patience and support! I know you wouldn't have posted if you weren't passionate about this. We are too, and we are working extremely long hours to try to show it on both the development and support sides.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • trusswalker
    trusswalker
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

We are also looking at the interface and considering some options.

Thanks for your patience and support! I know you wouldn't have posted if you weren't passionate about this. We are too, and we are working extremely long hours to try to show it on both the development and support sides.
    We are always here to help!

Please, please, please look at the UI and give us back the old, quick, efficient drop down menu... I rarely say "hate"... but I hate the pop-up menu... I hate that I can't seem turn off the requirement to enter my password every time I want to use 1password from my browser.

I understand that things are happening quickly here... and I work for a company that develops software for a passionate customer base... so I'll have some patience... but seriously... if things continue in this direction... I'll just go back to having Safari store that information and I'll start to come up with my own tricky passwords.

This direction on the UI is bad. I don't want eye-candy... I don't want animations... I don't want a waste of space... just a really quick drop down menu with my options in it. And a way to disable needing to enter my password from my browser. If you can get to my browser on my computer, you've already gone through enough security to get there.

Please, please, please act on this quickly before I uninstall and never look back. It would be a shame to leave so suddenly after being a customer since v1.x

Thanks.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, trusswalker! We appreciate your passion here. I know that you wouldn't bother posting if you didn't care. :-)

We are working hard to resolve issues in the new extension and are exploring our options with the UI. There is not an easy solution, though, since previously we could make Cocoa calls for the password generator and master password prompt. We now must include those in the extension itself. A simple menu would remove the majority of the functionality of the extension beyond simple form filling for the page you are on. This isn't really acceptable.

Please also consider that because everything is done in JavaScript it is slightly slower, so the animations are to show that something is actually happening rather than giving the impression that things are frozen for a split second.

The current UI is a still a work in progress, though, and we value your constructive criticism. Please let me know if you have any ideas on how we can incorporate all the functionality in a simple drop down menu that cannot make Cocoa calls. If you have a UI mockup, we would love to take a look at it!

Cheers,

P.S. The lack of automatic unlock is a known issue we are working to resolve. Thanks for your patience on this.
This discussion has been closed.