Hide team members from a guest account?

Options
greys
greys
Community Member

Hi,

I provide technical support to a number of businesses and would like to create a vault for each of them to share passwords. I have 5 full team members and 4 guest accounts at the moment.

Whenever a guest user logs in, they see the Shared Vaults section with no vaults. That's an expected behaviour until I grant them access to their company's vault. It shouws that card with "You don't (yet) have access to any shared vaults".

What's not expected though, and something I can't seem to disable, is that in the same "Shared Vaults" card each guest user sees icons of every other team member and guest that I have on my 1Password for Teams account.

How do I hide these other team members and guests? Want to make it so that a newly created guest account sees nothing (and nobody) upon logging in, they only sees that vault they're assigned to.

Thanks a lot for all the advice and help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @greys! Welcome to our forum, and thanks for posting about this. :) Since the guest is a member of the team, they can see other members of that team too. Could you give me a better idea of why this isn't good for your guests and team members?

• greys
    greys
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jacob. I would like to offer 1Password vaults to my customers as a bonus, so I'm creating a vault and paying for their membership. So while it's somewhat understandable that guests would see my team members, it seems that guests see other team members, which means one customer (and 2-3 members of his team, all created as guests on my 1Password) will see other customers and their team members.

I contemplated the idea of having separate teams but this sounds like I'll have to pay for my technical team's 5 members every time I create a new team?

• @greys Thanks for clarifying. Guests can only see the profile pictures (or initials if they don't have pictures) of other team members on that initial screen, as you mentioned. After they are added to a vault, they won't see anything about the other members of the account, unless they're added to one of the other members' vaults.

I contemplated the idea of having separate teams but this sounds like I'll have to pay for my technical team's 5 members every time I create a new team?

That would be true. Hopefully one team works for you. :)

• greys
    greys
    Community Member
    Options

It seems not just the initials though because if I hover mouse over initial icons, it actually shows full names.

Will check what happens if/when I share a vault with one of the guests, maybe you're right.

Thanks again, will report back

• @greys Ah, good point. That's for accessibility since the image doesn't matter to a screen reading program. Let me know what you find after sharing something and we'll go from there.

• greys
    greys
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, after adding guest user to a vault they no longer see that "Shared Vaults" message. Only their vault is shown and only members of that vault - which is acceptable.

So these are the conclusions then:
    1) Without any vault assigned to a user, there's a privacy concern that this new user will see members of other vaults, even the ones the user has no access to - seems wrong to me
    2) Super important to assign guest user to some kind of vault right after confirming user - this way only users sharing a vault with the new (guest) user will be shown

Thanks for your help!

• Jacob
    edited October 2016
    Options

Glad to hear it!

Without any vault assigned to a user, there's a privacy concern that this new user will see members of other vaults, even the ones the user has no access to - seems wrong to me

To be clear, they see members of the team, not of the vaults. They are guests on the team so they get some information about the team that way. I'll forward your feedback to the crew and see what they say about this. :) I appreciate you taking the time to discuss it.

ref: B5-2074

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    Options

One suggestion is that when inviting a guest, let us set which vault they will have access to upon confirmation. This way the Shared Vaults box would be only the vault I have assigned to them. The profile images for all members wouldn't be shown to them at all, only those members assigned to that vault, and thus negates the privacy breach.

Obviously they would not actually get access to the assigned vault until confirmation so perhaps that vault entry should be dimmed with the warning that don't (yet) have access to the vault.

Of course a better option would be to just remove the user profile icons for the "no shared vaults" box. From a UI perspective, the desaturated profile icons of all members in the "no shared vaults" box doesn't really make sense.

• @Smudge Thanks for the suggestion. I spoke with someone about a similar improvement in another thread a few months back. That one was for adding pending members to a vault. There are some challenges to it, as there are in the case of guests. I'll let the team know you're interested as well. :)

Of course a better option would be to just remove the user profile icons for the "no shared vaults" box. From a UI perspective, the desaturated profile icons of all members in the "no shared vaults" box doesn't really make sense.

I've always felt that the desaturated ones make it feel you haven't been added to anything yet, from a design perspective. It's a world you can see one dimension of, and color indicates the spectrum.

ref: B5-1806

This discussion has been closed.