[Suggestion] Provide the ability to see the master password being typed

Options
Martok
Martok
Community Member

On mobile devices, it is quite easy to mistype a master password, particularly if it is a long one and if you have fat fingers like me! This can be quite frustrating when you enter your long password only for it to be refused because somewhere you have mistyped something, so you have to type it all again.

It would be great if the ability to see the master password being typed was provided. Ideally this would be a little button near to the password field that can be tapped to reveal the password (and tapped again to hide it). This would allow users to choose whether to view the whole password as it is typed or, like me, type it first, then quickly reveal the password to check it's OK before pressing submit.

Whilst I understand that there is a potential security issue here in that others could view your password if you reveal it, that would be the choice of the user whether they do this or not and up to them to ensure their screen isn't being viewed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• saad
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @Martok. This is a request we have seen on several occasion and will need to be reviewed with our security team. I can see the benefits of having the ability to show what is being typed, especially in the case of a long Master Password. I will bring this up with the team.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

I much prefer using the master password on mobile devices rather than the pin code (I think it's more secure using the master password than this). I have incorrectly inputted my master password on a few occasions because I hit the wrong key with my big fingers. Viewing it would help to avoid repeated entry but I understand that security needs to be considered in this request. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As a person of ample digital carriage, I can definitely relate: typin' ain't easy. Thanks for the feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.