1password 6 for Windows - restoring a Document

Options

I just installed the released version of 1password for Windows 6, 6.1.272d. I've saved several documents from my PC to my vault and I can see them on my phone and iPad. Good so far. If I restore the saved document (a jpg) to my PC, a 0KB size file gets created. What's going on here?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• yjb
    yjb
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, this is on a Win7 PC.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yjb: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me what you mean by "restore the saved document"? Did you send it to the Trash? What are the exact steps you're taking, which version of 1Password are you using on the iOS devices, and where do you have the files saved: in a local vault or 1Password Account? We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

• yjb
    yjb
    Community Member
    Options

"Restore" means to copy it from the vault back to my desktop PC file system.
    1. Open 1Password6, Open Document containing jpg. 1pw6 shows tile on right that has an "icon" named "file.jpg" with "Click to Download" under it and file size (116k) listed in the tile too.
    2. Click on icon to download. Save As... dialog opens with "file.jpg" prepopulated in Filename box. Default directory is Desktop.
    3. Click on Save in this dialog. File.jpg gets created on desktop, but is 0KB in size.
    4. The listing of vaults at the bottom of this tile shows two vault names? One has a flag, the other the 1password icon next to it. I think it is stored in the new place (server) that 1password6 uses?

1password on my phone is 6.4.5.

My previous use of 1password was 4.6 with my vault shared using Dropbox. I don't think this is in play now. I have hopefully de-activated this on my desktop by having it not start at boot and booting several times since. I don't see its icon in the system tray. Only the new one for 1pw6.

• yjb
    yjb
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. I just installed 1pw6 on another PC and I can save my stored jpg file to the desktop on it from the vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yjb: Wow! Thanks for following up. I appreciate the clarification...and that is a very interesting development. It sounds like it's working as it should on one computer, but on the other something is preventing the file from being saved properly. Are there any significant configuration differences between the two? My two guesses are some "security" software disallowing 1Password from writing to the file, or a more general Windows permission issue causing the write to fail.

However, while this may seem like a silly question, I need to ask it anyway: the file is listed as 0KB, but what happens when you try to open it? I just want to rule out it being reported incorrectly, but I suspect you already tried that and it won't open because there's nothing in it. Let me know what you find!

• yjb
    yjb
    Community Member
    Options

I know the routine, also working in tech and trying to troubleshoot issues, especially remotely. It is definitely 0KB. Opening with default Windows Photo Viewer indicates so, and opening with notepad++ also shows no characters.

The laptop I'm able to save on is pretty new. I just got it this Spring. HP Elitebook 840 G2, Haswell i5-5300U , Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1, 16GB RAM, SanDisk SSD.

Whether this is relevant or not, when I save the file on the PC that works, Windows Explorer pops open to the directory I saved it in. On the PC that saves it incorrectly, Windows Explorer does not open.

Regarding your two guesses. 1. Would you have any suggestions as to security software to look for? 2. Suggestions on checking Windows permissions?

I have never had any sort of issue like this before on this PC and I think it is pretty vanilla. I've had it for close to 7 years. An i7 920, 8GB RAM, Intel SSD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1. I keep up to date on all Windows Updates. It is hard for me to imagine what is unique about it that would cause this.

Okay. Just discovered your log files. I hope I'm okay sending this info this way.

From problem PC:
    2016-10-15T13:58:05 File /api/v2/file/jddzuqc64k632dnuewvqlkmthi/qbgtxclz4blm6o3mb2iwwzgcze/wdpfqovwafdvblc7lycjq3rqzu not modified. (0.50 sec)
    2016-10-15T13:58:05 HRESULT 80070032, System.IO.IOException: The request is not supported.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.File.Encrypt(String path)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.UI.Primitives.DocumentViewer.d__3.MoveNext() in C:\code\onepassword-rt\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop\UI\Primitives\DocumentViewer.xaml.cs:line 78

From PC that works
    2016-10-15T14:58:29 A2 decrypted 5 keys. (0.00 sec)
    2016-10-15T14:58:37 File /api/v2/file/jddzuqc64k632dnuewvqlkmthi/qbgtxclz4blm6o3mb2iwwzgcze/wdpfqovwafdvblc7lycjq3rqzu not modified. (0.35 sec)
    2016-10-15T14:58:37 Navigating to /select,"C:\Users\joebirch\Desktop\AAAmembership2017.jpg"

Let me know whether there are any other next steps you'd like me to take.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@yjb: Whoa! I forgot about Notepad++! Anyway, thanks for getting back to me with that info. The fact that Windows Explorer isn't opening to the file after saving is definitely interesting. Here's where the difference appears to lie:

On the working PC, 1Password is able to have Windows open the file location:

2016-10-15T14:58:37 Navigating to /select,"C:\Users\joebirch\Desktop\AAAmembership2017.jpg"

On the non-working PC, 1Password isn't able to do this (though the reason is unclear):

System.IO.IOException: The request is not supported.

As for next steps, I'd suggest first trying to save to another folder to see if that makes any difference, and then reinstall 1Password in case the app itself is damaged.

A lot can go wrong over time on an older PC as software comes and goes and leaves things behind...and as hardware ages. So if you're still having trouble, check the disk for errors:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432

And then you can try taking ownership of the drive in Windows Explorer by going to Properties > Security > Edit to give full read/write/execute access to your user account. And then follow these steps to repair your profile if it's become damaged over time:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

I'm also bringing this up with the rest of the team to see if there's something 1Password can do to help in these situations (perhaps an informative message about why the file cannot be saved properly). Let me know how it turns out! :)

• yjb
    yjb
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Save to different directory: Tried that but hadn't mentioned it to you. Same behavior.
    2. I had re-imaged my PC this spring for other reasons, so it is not a 7 year old image collecting huge amounts of garbage since then.
    3. Ran chkdisk. No change.
    4. Created new account with admin privileges. Installed 1PW6 for that account. Same behavior with the same vault, ie. no change.
    5. Added additional access to my account (I am already an Administrator). No change.

I sure hope your team can look at the diagnostics and glean something useful from that. I've not had any file save issues with any other applications on this PC. The file is being created, but it appears that whatever is trying to write to it can't. Just to confirm that I can write to it, I opened it again with notepad++, wrote something to the file, and successfully saved it, with Windows showing me how many characters I typed in the file.

• @yjb sorry for the confusion and thank you for detailed troubleshooting. 1Password tries to save document into encrypted file, but this feature is not available across all Windows 7 editions. App can save document to unencrypted file when system reports it does not support such feature, but Windows 7 Home Premium reported that differently than we expected. I'll make sure next update will have it fixed ;)

• yjb
    yjb
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to hear this. It doesn't sound like a tough one to fix. I'll look forward to the next release.
    Thanks very much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yjb: Oh man... My apologies! You may have even forgotten that you have "different" Windows 7 versions. I completely forgot how many "editions" of Windows there used to be! It's right there in black and white in all of its eyeball-stabbing glory: Encrypting File System: :-1: :lol:

Though I'm sorry I had you on a bit of a wild goose chase there, I'm glad we were able to determine the cause so we can get this fixed (and that Microsoft has simplified things since then). Thanks so much for your patience on this. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.