Searching trash

Options
tommyent
tommyent
Community Member

So I found this https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/41892/still-not-possible-to-search-trash from back in May 2015. I still can't search the trash with the Mac Desktop but searching trash does work on the web. Is this still an open issue?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tommyent,

Yes, the issue is still open. Unfortunately that is all the info I have. Just because an issue is opened does not mean that it will ever get implemented. But, it also has not been outright rejected.

Sorry I don't have more details to share.

Ben

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member
    Options

That's unfortunate but at least I can finally do it even if I have to login online

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's tough, because on the one in 1Password for Teams/Families there's versioning and an archive of Trashed items, so having search there is kind of important. But on the other hand local vaults don't have the same potential for archived/Trashed data retention. Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution that makes sense in both cases. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• lyndonr
    lyndonr
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my voice to the "search trash in Mac Desktop" feature request. Sometimes that client you had forgotten about pops back up out of nowhere and you suddenly need to go search through your trashed for their creds. Not fun.

Hope we see this soon. Thanks!

Lyndon

• Thanks for the feedback. It's worth mentioning that the Trash isn't an archive, it's a place items go to eventually be deleted. I personally empty my Trash once a week to keep things clean. Then I can find things in it easier as well. Just a tip.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lyndonr: Indeed, thanks for letting us know you'd like that feature!

But I wanted to mention something that helps me in similar situations: using an "Archive" vault. Actual garbage-y trash gets sent to the Trash, but legit, usable logins and other information that I just don't need to access currently goes in my Archive vault. I also hide this in 1Password for Mac Preferences > All Vaults so items there don't show up at all unless I select that vault specifically. I hope this helps! :)

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    Options

I can see why some people might want to be able to search the Trash. Whilst some people may clear their Trash regularly (I do), others may not and it is a feature of 1Password that Trash is kept for up to one full year:

Item history backup
    Go back in time up to one full year and recover passwords which you or your family members have deleted or changed.

So being able to search Trash could be useful to some.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Martok: Absolutely! Thanks for bringing that up. It's a great point! :)

• lyndonr
    lyndonr
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Great suggestion about creating an Archive vault. I think I'll do that. Actually, that's prompted another question (posted separately here).

Also didn't know about trashed items being deleted after a year. Yeesh, not so into auto-deletion... but good to know!

ps - I still think an option to search trash would be useful tho ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood. Glad that helps in the mean time. Better safe than sorry. After all, there's no additional cost for hanging onto data just in case. :)

This discussion has been closed.