Bookmark Manager and Add New Tags, Bittorrent Sync

agilebit_cc
agilebit_cc
Community Member

Hi folks,

I love 1Password and so I want even more. I want 1Password Mini to help me to be truly OS, Browser, and Sync independent. That's my real ultimate goal...OS, Browser, and Sync independence! 1Password Mini and the iOS/Android apps are the key to achieving this goal.

Bookmark Manager - I see it has been discussed in the forum and the discussions merged, but the Moderator(s) have never pointed to the merged discussion. Add a Bookmark category and allow us to Tag Bookmarks, including making new Tags on the fly. Then easy access of Bookmarks via Tags. Allow us to determine the default browser that should be called for each Bookmark for use with 1Password Mini. Some sites don't like Safari and some people don't like Chrome. I personally use multiple browsers for various reasons.

Bittorrent (Resilio) Sync - I know that my vaults are encrypted, but I just like the idea of managing my vaults without the need for a 3rd party server. It just makes me feel better (ie-more secure). If not Bittorrent Sync, then some other way to allow me to sync Peer to Peer across Windows, Mac, Linux, and iOS/Android. Yes, I use 4/5. I know about 1Password accounts, but I don't want to use a 3rd party server. WebDAV folder? Although I don't consider this to really be an "always on" method.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I love 1Password and so I want even more.

@agilebit_cc: Thank for contacting us. We love you too! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password. :chuffed:

I want 1Password Mini to help me to be truly OS, Browser, and Sync independent. That's my real ultimate goal...OS, Browser, and Sync independence! 1Password Mini and the iOS/Android apps are the key to achieving this goal.

While I think this is an interesting an laudable goal, the reality is that not all sync services are created equal. That isn't to say that this one or that one is "bad", only different; some are better at handling conflicts in general and 1Password's data structure in particular than others. 1Password doesn't have any control over 3rd party sync services, and for them to truly be interchangeable, they'd have to be the same. But many users have a preference for one or another because there are differences, and frankly the sync services themselves have an incentive to differentiate so that they can attract a dedicated following.

Bookmark Manager - I see it has been discussed in the forum and the discussions merged, but the Moderator(s) have never pointed to the merged discussion. Add a Bookmark category and allow us to Tag Bookmarks, including making new Tags on the fly. Then easy access of Bookmarks via Tags. Allow us to determine the default browser that should be called for each Bookmark for use with 1Password Mini. Some sites don't like Safari and some people don't like Chrome. I personally use multiple browsers for various reasons.

I don't quite understand the bookmarks/tags connection you're suggesting here, but I already use 1Password effectively as my "bookmarks". Usually I just type a few characters quickly to find the login I'm looking for, but Favorites are great for this too. And remember: a login item doesn't necessarily have to have a username and password: you can totally save one with only a URL, so it's easy to have 1Password open it for you. I don't have many like this since most sites require a login, but I definitely have a few. ;)

And like you, I have a lot more browsers than just the one that comes with the OS. But I'm not sure that it's appropriate for 1Password to try to be a full-fledged bookmarks and browser manager. Choosy is my tool of choice for URL handling, and there are a number of similar apps out there so I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel. These are definitely things we can keep in mind as we develop future versions of 1Password, but we try to focus on what we do best and leave the rest in the capable hands of others. 1Password isn't meant to be the only app you need, but rather the only password manager you need. And the only way we can accomplish that currently is by focusing on the core features instead of a "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" approach. :sunglasses:

Bittorrent (Resilio) Sync - I know that my vaults are encrypted, but I just like the idea of managing my vaults without the need for a 3rd party server. It just makes me feel better (ie-more secure). If not Bittorrent Sync, then some other way to allow me to sync Peer to Peer across Windows, Mac, Linux, and iOS/Android. Yes, I use 4/5. I know about 1Password accounts, but I don't want to use a 3rd party server. WebDAV folder? Although I don't consider this to really be an "always on" method.

WebDAV is definitely not on the table. We worked on supporting that in the past and it was not a good experience. There are very few things we'll say "no" to outright since things can change over time, but that's one. We have no plans to revisit those dark days. :lol:

Frankly, that (and sync issues in general) are a big part of the reason we built the 1Password.com service, since we have control over the experience and we can fix it if it breaks. 3rd party sync services, while incredibly useful, are essentially a black box; and frankly even if we do know what's wrong, it isn't in our power to change it. This is a terrible experience for everybody, since the user just wants it to work and wants us to help when it doesn't, and we're largely powerless to help.

So we've built our own for 1Password Accounts. And as for security, the Account Key and Master Password are never transmitted, so we're never in a position to give away your data or have it taken from us. Speaking personally, BitTorrent sync has interested me for a long time, but the fact that they still haven't published details about how it actually works leaves me a bit cold. Until they do, only folks inside can say whether it is a secure implementation or not, and everyone else just has to take their word for it. That's no something I'm comfortable with. So the first thing I did with 1Password.com was read the security white paper. I realize this isn't something everyone gets excited about, but it's interesting and important to me.

However, we do want to add additional sync options to 1Password in the future. But you can probably appreciate that it's something that needs to be done with great care and consideration, since our most important data is involved.

I think one idea that goes back to your original point would be a self-contained browser extension (which doesn't require the app). That may be something we can do in the future, but that would be a long way off and a lot of work. However, without the 1Password.com service, this wouldn't be possible, so it doesn't mesh well with your desire for "sync independence", even if it would go a long way toward "browser and OS independence". Either way, it's a fascinating discussion. Thanks for bringing this up, and let me know if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions! :)

• agilebit_cc
    agilebit_cc
    Community Member

Thank you for you detailed and thoughtful response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're totally welcome! I'm glad I (hopefully) didn't bore you. ;)

This discussion has been closed.