I have a stand alone account and want to add my wife to 1 Password.

The issues are that she wants independence and control of her logins, but she is almost 70 YO and forgetful, keeps changing login IDs and passwords when she can't get signed in and ends up with, for example 3 AOL accounts. I want to allow here independence and control but want to keep informed when she changes things so I can help her. She is not computer savey. What type of 1 Password account should we establish, two separate stand alones, or a family. If the family, how do I have access to her personal vault information?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Phone 6s
Referrer: forum-search:Which 1 Password account type to purchase

Comments

• JacobJacob

Team Member

Hi @wlmicroman! I would be happy to help you get your wife started with 1Password. :) The easiest way to set things up would be to use 1Password Families. I see you recently purchased a single standalone license for 1Password, and that didn't include an account but since the purchase was so recent, I'd like to refund you for it so you can put that amount toward a family account. In case you're curious, 1Password Families includes what you have seen in the 1Password apps over the years with a few additional goodies:

• Get all the 1Password apps. No matter which plan you choose, you (and every member of your family) always have free access to the latest versions of all the 1Password apps.
    • Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service. Setting up sync with Dropbox can be confusing for some folks. With 1Password Families, simply sign in and all your data is there.
    • New vaults automatically show up for family members. When you create a new vault, you can add others in your plan to it automatically. They can start using it right away.
    • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items. If a change was made to an item and it needs to be reverted, fret not. It can easily be rolled back from 1Password.com.
    • Recover accounts if a family member forgets their Master Password. We have always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t help with lost account details, you can now recover a family member's account to get them a new Account Key and Master Password. This will be great for you and your wife, and you can both be Family Organizers on the account so you can recover each other's account details if necessary.
    • View, edit, and add items from a browser. You’ll always have access to your data on 1Password.com, even if you're away from the devices you typically use.
    • Brand new multi-factor security model for your hosted account. Since your data is in the cloud, we took some extra steps to make sure the security is even better than what the standalone version of 1Password has. The Account Key strengthens your Master Password, and it's better than two-factor authentication.

To get started with 1Password Families, sign up on 1Password.com and invite your wife. You can invite other family members as well if you'd like. When your wife accepts her invite and sets up her account, she'll get a chance to add that account to one of the 1Password apps. She can install them from our downloads page and sign in using her account details. Then she's all set to start using it. :)

When it comes to setting up her account, there are two ways you can do things. She can store her passwords in her Personal vault, which only she has access to, or you can put them all in a custom vault that is shared between you both. The second option can also be used to share a few of the passwords between you both, so when one of you changes a password it changes for the other member as well. For a bit more inspiration about sharing:

Share passwords and other items with your whole family

Hope that helps you get started! Let us know how things go, and if you have questions along the way we're here to help out.

This discussion has been closed.